Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 pilot exl and still have the original spare tire. I plan to call around junk yards to find a full size replacement tire. How much should I be expected to pay for tire and wheel, assuming that I will go and pull one off a junked Pilot?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
142 Posts
Individually could pay $50 for a rim and then like $20 for the tire + $20 mount and balance. Find one with a descent tire already attached would be the most economical. I'm about to replace the front tires on my Pilot and the one that has the most meat on it will become our full sized spare. Just got to get that spare rim.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Depending upon the condition of the wheel and if they’re willing to break up a set so ymmv. Tires are a questionable purchase because age of the tire becomes a factor as well as the accident or neglect that put both the Pilot and wheels/tires in the junk yard.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I paid $75 or so for a reasonably clean match for my other 4 wheels. Now I can rotate into the spare position like nature intended.

I agree with aggrex and cloudasc - put the worst tire on the car on your new wheel and put a new tire on your car. Nothing says "bad day" quite like your spare tire failing 5 minutes after you put it on.

·
Registered
5,112 Posts
Get a full size spare. It fits and it'll be much better.
I agree with aggrex and cloudasc - put the worst tire on the car on your new wheel and put a new tire on your car. Nothing says "bad day" quite like your spare tire failing 5 minutes after you put it on.
How I went about getting my full size spare: When I got a new set of tires, I kept the one from the old set with the most meat :D on it as my full size spare.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not sure where the OP is located, but I have some ‘extra’ steel wheels that came on my 2003 Pilot LX that I’ll sell for $35 if anyone is interested. Probably not worth shipping, but could deliver if in Northern CA or Southern OR. Tires would either be mostly worn Michelin LTX or slightly less worn, but now ~18 year old Goodyear Integrity.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts