Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 pilot exl and still have the original spare tire. I plan to call around junk yards to find a full size replacement tire. How much should I be expected to pay for tire and wheel, assuming that I will go and pull one off a junked Pilot?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L
314 Posts
Individually could pay $50 for a rim and then like $20 for the tire + $20 mount and balance. Find one with a descent tire already attached would be the most economical. I'm about to replace the front tires on my Pilot and the one that has the most meat on it will become our full sized spare. Just got to get that spare rim.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,234 Posts
Get a full size spare. It fits and it'll be much better.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I paid $75 or so for a reasonably clean match for my other 4 wheels. Now I can rotate into the spare position like nature intended.

I agree with aggrex and cloudasc - put the worst tire on the car on your new wheel and put a new tire on your car. Nothing says "bad day" quite like your spare tire failing 5 minutes after you put it on.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
Get a full size spare. It fits and it'll be much better.
I agree with aggrex and cloudasc - put the worst tire on the car on your new wheel and put a new tire on your car. Nothing says "bad day" quite like your spare tire failing 5 minutes after you put it on.
How I went about getting my full size spare: When I got a new set of tires, I kept the one from the old set with the most meat :D on it as my full size spare.

·
Registered
11,380 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Not sure where the OP is located, but I have some ‘extra’ steel wheels that came on my 2003 Pilot LX that I’ll sell for $35 if anyone is interested. Probably not worth shipping, but could deliver if in Northern CA or Southern OR. Tires would either be mostly worn Michelin LTX or slightly less worn, but now ~18 year old Goodyear Integrity.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am hijacking this because it has the right title. I wanted to document that my full size spare has to go in tilted because the aftermarket hitch gets in the way of the tire sliding all the way back. Seems fine. The lowest part is the spring under the wire holder. I doubt clearance will be an issue.

I just wanted to not have to store the large fifth wheel that I bought to have a good matching wheel to swap in. I’m able to mount and balance tires at my friend’s shop. So in the event of bad balance or tire damage, it’s nice to have an extra wheel to work on without pulling the car out of commission. I can also keep my eyes peeled on eBay for cheap matching tires to replace the worst ones and do it one tire at a time. Just more flexibility with the old car now, helps keep costs of maintaining a cheap car down.

·
Registered
159 Posts
If anyone in CO needs a full size spare, I have a complete extra set of rims and tires (with working summer slicks on them). For $50 I'll part with one of your choosing. It's a pain to build your own full-size spare from scratch - especially when if all goes well you'll never use it. I bought a complete extra set of rims when I was only looking for one (although I got 4 rims for $80), and then had to pay to mount old tires on them. I figured at that point I might as well mount my summer tires on them (I run winter tires 8 months out of the year). But it's all worth it when 100 miles into a trip from CO to NC, you catch a nail, mount the spare, and continue on as if nothing happened.

I am hijacking this because it has the right title. I wanted to document that my full size spare has to go in tilted because the aftermarket hitch gets in the way of the tire sliding all the way back. Seems fine. The lowest part is the spring under the wire holder. I doubt clearance will be an issue.
@mknmike That stinks. I've used two different hitches on my '05 Pilots (UHaul and Curt), and did not have an issue with getting the tire to sit properly when hoisted - although I did once have a Honda tech tell me it wouldn't fit when I had the dealership mount and balance tires (I hoisted it up myself in front of a Service Advisor lol). What brand did you get?

--Chris N.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
I did once have a Honda tech tell me it wouldn't fit when I had the dealership mount and balance tires (I hoisted it up myself in front of a Service Advisor lol).
You don't happen to have a picture of his face you could post, do you?

Fits with my OEM hitch.

·
Registered
187 Posts
If anyone in CO needs a full size spare, I have a complete extra set of rims and tires (with working summer slicks on them). For $50 I'll part with one of your choosing. It's a pain to build your own full-size spare from scratch - especially when if all goes well you'll never use it. I bought a complete extra set of rims when I was only looking for one (although I got 4 rims for $80), and then had to pay to mount old tires on them. I figured at that point I might as well mount my summer tires on them (I run winter tires 8 months out of the year). But it's all worth it when 100 miles into a trip from CO to NC, you catch a nail, mount the spare, and continue on as if nothing happened.

@mknmike That stinks. I've used two different hitches on my '05 Pilots (UHaul and Curt), and did not have an issue with getting the tire to sit properly when hoisted - although I did once have a Honda tech tell me it wouldn't fit when I had the dealership mount and balance tires (I hoisted it up myself in front of a Service Advisor lol). What brand did you get?

--Chris N.
I guess someone could tell me it’s wrong, but it’s not hitting any moving parts, and as I recall, it’s no lower than the diff in the front. If you were on a road trip and discovered the original wheel wouldn’t fit under there, that would suck. I wonder if some hitches are even worse than mine and would make that happen.

I will see if I can update this with a picture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My tire hunt had a closure: a local junk yard called me back that they had a Pilot and they are willing to sell me one tire (with rim) for $75. The tire was manufactured in 2018, and it fits OK even I have a hitch. Very glad to part the donut spare tire that has been there for 16 years!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
I may go look for a set so each of our Pilots can get rid of their 'donuts'.

The nearest Bone yard, I went in to once years ago looking for a sensor for my dodge truck.

I think they were offended I didn't speak Spanish, and basically told me they didn't have one.
Never went back.
Maybe I'll try again.

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
I may go look for a set so each of our Pilots can get rid of their 'donuts'.

The nearest Bone yard, I went in to once years ago looking for a sensor for my dodge truck.

I think they were offended I didn't speak Spanish, and basically told me they didn't have one.
Never went back.
Maybe I'll try again.
Try: llanta de refacción. No guarantee that it’s not offensive ymmv

·
Registered
10,234 Posts

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
And then, just like our mamas taught us,,,

·
Registered
187 Posts
I guess someone could tell me it’s wrong, but it’s not hitting any moving parts, and as I recall, it’s no lower than the diff in the front. If you were on a road trip and discovered the original wheel wouldn’t fit under there, that would suck. I wonder if some hitches are even worse than mine and would make that happen.

I will see if I can update this with a picture.

Delayed pics.

·
Registered
10,234 Posts
The lowest part is the spring under the wire holder.

I guess if you don't mind not having direct access to the stem valve, you could flip the tire over and that spring would be recessed a bit more and stick out less.

You'd have to lower that spare from time to time to check the pressure, but it's good to exercise the hoist from time to time (and lube it) so it doesn't rust or seize into place. I do it at least once a year.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts