Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up another wheel and am going to get a full-size spare tire. I'm curious how critical it is to get the same exact tire. I can get a great deal on another brand of tire that's the same size, type, and specification class as the Continentals that came on my Pilot.

After buying a wheel and TPMS I'm just wondering if I can save a few bucks.

·
Banned
379 Posts
The spare it came with isn't the same exact tire so I wouldn't worry about it. Personally I never use my spare anyway. If I get a flat I just fix on vehicle. I carry a small compressor and a kit. Of course if it's a blowout I would lol. I find it easier.

As long as it's the same size and is just a spare I'm sure it's fine

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I'll grab this other tire.

·
Registered
12 Posts
@Tourist2012 Have you been able to confirm that the full-size spare will fit up into the space without sticking down too far or rubbing up against anything it shouldn't? Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
@Tourist2012 Have you been able to confirm that the full-size spare will fit up into the space without sticking down too far or rubbing up against anything it shouldn't? Thanks in advance.
The deal fell through on the tire I was going to buy, it was a leftover tire at a local shop. But they had sold it when I went back to get it.

So, I didn't do it yet. But, I had a full-size spare on our 2012.

·
Registered
5,536 Posts
It fits. That's why Honda says to put the full size tire back up where you took your spare from when you have to use it.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
I picked up another wheel and am going to get a full-size spare tire. I'm curious how critical it is to get the same exact tire. I can get a great deal on another brand of tire that's the same size, type, and specification class as the Continentals that came on my Pilot.

After buying a wheel and TPMS I'm just wondering if I can save a few bucks.
really depends on your goal.

If you want to use the spare as part of a five way tire rotation, yes matching tire only. If as a temporary spare, same size will do fine.

·
Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
really depends on your goal.

If you want to use the spare as part of a five way tire rotation, yes matching tire only. If as a temporary spare, same size will do fine.
Don't plan on doing a 5-way rotation. I just want a full-size spare because 98% of my family is 1000 miles away and I don't want to deal with a donut temp spare should I get a flat on that kind of trip.

·
Administrator
15,513 Posts
Smart move to be cautious. But with That 1000 miles scenario, (been there with 1000 mile trips many times) I might suck up the extra cost with the same tire on the car anyway. After all the Difference in cost between a cheap tire and peace of mind for your family's safety is worth the price.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts