Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to prep my 2017 Touring for New Jersey surf fishing. Pease advise on replacement of compact spare tire with full size. A compact will never get me off the beach if I get a flat.

If space is an issue, what are the consequences of using an 18 inch spare?

Thanks

P.S. OEM trailer hitch is installed.

·
Registered
2020 Pilot Black Edition
185 Posts
I want to prep my 2017 Touring for New Jersey surf fishing. Pease advise on replacement of compact spare tire with full size. A compact will never get me off the beach if I get a flat.

If space is an issue, what are the consequences of using an 18 inch spare?

Thanks

P.S. OEM trailer hitch is installed.
Look up the brand tire’s outer diameter at say either tirerack.com or the tire manufacturer. If the outer diameter of the 18” matches the outer of the 20”, it should do the trick in a pinch. I got the OEM hitch and have a full spare on my ‘20. No issues here.

PS, I’m up in Bloomfield and was toying with going down the shore for some surf fishing also, what other prep you doign to your Pilot? More so to compare notes….been a bit Leary to bring my on the beach yet.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look up the brand tire’s outer diameter at say either tirerack.com or the tire manufacturer. If the outer diameter of the 18” matches the outer of the 20”, it should do the trick in a pinch. I got the OEM hitch and have a full spare on my ‘20. No issues here.

PS, I’m up in Bloomfield and was toying with going down the shore for some surf fishing also, what other prep you doign to your Pilot? More so to compare notes….been a bit Leary to bring my on the beach yet.
Sorry for delayed reply. First choice is to watch for NJBBA Beach Driving Class in the spring. Best advice ANYWHERE. Take ALL the safety gear listed. Add a jumper box just in case as well as a compressor. My 2006 was just fine, but watch the low center clearance, and absolutely AIR DOWN.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts