Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Full Nose Mask -- experiences

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  kajukenbo 
#1 ·
I just got the Full Nose Mask. Haven't installed it yet but was reading the instructions and it says that "make sure there is no moisture under the mask or else it made cloud the paint"

My question is - if a little bit of moisture can cloud the paint, what would happen when it rains and you have the mask on and water seeps in. Does the mask fit so snugly that there is no chance of water getting in there ?

Now I am wondering whether or not to put the mask on at all -- don't want to take any chances with the nice Silver paint. Can someone who has the mask confirm what the best course is.

Thanks in advance.

Am planning to take it to Yosemite this weekend and definitely wanted to put it on before the trip to avoid any small particles/stones damaging the front.

#2 ·
Nose mask pain in the--

hood? I had a nose mask on an earlier car and it was a real pain. It worked pretty well on long trips when it was dry; but the mfg and others in the know indicated to remove when it got wet so it didn't stay on the vehicle and cause paint problems. In addition, as it got older and stretched a little, it would tend to rub the paint and create spots where the "clear coat" was rubbed off. All in all I would say I would not get another one. I would rather try the "clear bra" coverage written about in this forum and the MDX forum. It wasn't a cheap nose mask either. Maybe they make them better now; but I'm not going to risk it.:1:

#3 ·
Re: Nose mask pain in the--

Thanks copilot. Thats the impression I got from reading the instructions. As soon as I read about 'moisture may cloud the paint', I was like - it protects against small stones and bugs and such but may screw up your paint. Pick your poison.

copilot said:
hood? I had a nose mask on an earlier car and it was a real pain. It worked pretty well on long trips when it was dry; but the mfg and others in the know indicated to remove when it got wet so it didn't stay on the vehicle and cause paint problems. In addition, as it got older and stretched a little, it would tend to rub the paint and create spots where the "clear coat" was rubbed off. All in all I would say I would not get another one. I would rather try the "clear bra" coverage written about in this forum and the MDX forum. It wasn't a cheap nose mask either. Maybe they make them better now; but I'm not going to risk it.:1:

#4 ·
My suggestion is to return the thing ... I had a full mask put on my black 91 Accord when I bought it in 91. Intermittently I would take it off to clean and wax, but eventually the task became a huge pain in the butt ... It will destroy your paint ... any type of moisture will capture all types of grit and grime ... eventually it will break down the clearcoat. I no longer have the Accord but I remember the area under the mask no longer being black, but actually was white because the paint had wore down and exposed the the undercoat.

Don't do it ...

PrG

#5 ·
Counter Point

I tend to like the nose masks for their protection. I have had them on cars since '88 with little problem. The biggest pain is taking them on at a minimum every second time you wash the car. NEVER wax the car without first removing the bra. I don't know how long it was until copilot had the bra stretch but I have had one on my 99 Accord from day one and it is still in great shape. I use Pledge furniture polish on the bra to take care of it.

Now the other side of this, I HATE the full nose masks! I had one on an '86 EXP and a '93 Probe. They are very cumbersome to work with and require twice the care of the half nose mask I purchased for my Accords(95 and 99).

So if I were to get a nose mask it would be a half mask. But, since I went with the Air Deflector I can't.

Oh, when I take it off I also inspect the bra to be sure there are no small stones, bugs, or weeds or anything of the sort on the soft back side of the bra. They are obvious trouble. I also have a soft brush I use on the corners but the snaps and on the back if necessary to clean it up when necessary. (It is a Viking brush from K-Mart. Just be sure to get the soft one and not the stiff tire brush!)

#8 ·
NO PROBLEM SO FAR GUYS

Ok,I had my bra on my 3 month odl baby Pilot for 3 week,It got rained on 2 times since(not heavey rains,just kind of sprinkling).Yesterday,I took it off for the first time,and guess what?there was no damages at all.bumper and paint were like new still.My pilot is red.

#9 ·
Saved by the bra!

Well the bra is on our Accord not the Pilot but it worked wonders this past weekend. I don't know what the heck hit it but there was a gouge in the bra in a triangle shape and ripped to about 1/2". Underneath there is a mark of some sort on the paint from whatever it was. Did it stop everything? NO. Did it save the car from worse damage? My answer is abolutely. If that bra wasn't on there I am sure whatever it was would have not only dented the hood but also taken off a HUGE section of paint. As it is the bra is obviously ripped and will most likely be replace but the hood only has a small scratch on it.

Just an unfortunate piece of information I wish I didn't have to share. I'd still love to know what it was that hit the car. I can't imagine what would have had that strong of an impact to just rip a bra.

#10 ·
I have had my SI for almost 4 years and I SWEAR by the nose mask. I have 1 nic in my hood and bumper from when I did not have it on. I put mine on the SI when I am driving anywhere I think I need, so like when I know there is a area with tons of rocks, or bugs, or.....

We bought the full nose mask for the pilot and I love it, I had it on this week and it is off so the truck can get pin striped tomorrow.
BUT if you love your paint take the mask off when it rains or gets wet cause I have seen the bad effects of this on my friends car.

Later,
Pat

#12 ·
If money is not an issue, definitely should consider the 3M Clear bra.... It will protect the front bumper, lights, front hood, side mirrors. You can barely see it unless one look really hard in a close distance.

I just had one installed on my GS430. I no longer have to worry about rocks and paint chips in the entire front end of my car and the mirrors as well.

Imho, a black bra just destroys the look of the vechicle. Taking off and putting on the bra is a pain especially if you live in the area where it gets rain all the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.