Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Highlander XLE 2012 Honda Pilot EX-L
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2012 EX-L is given a strict diet of Top Tier fuel and an occasional bottle of Techron with a chaser of 93 octane Top Tier fuel. Is this all that's necessary or should I look at a stealership fuel system cleaning? It has about 81K on the clock at this point.

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
The 2012 EX-L is given a strict diet of Top Tier fuel and an occasional bottle of Techron with a chaser of 93 octane Top Tier fuel. Is this all that's necessary or should I look at a stealership fuel system cleaning? It has about 81K on the clock at this point.
Which brand of 93 octane top tier fuel?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,185 Posts
Why use 'premium gas'? Dies the Gen 2 have sensors that actually change the timing based on the octane of the fuel in the engine?

IIRC, the Gen 2 is port injection, not in the cylinder. IIRC- no real problems or recalls w/ the injectors.
IMHO- you're already gong overkill. YMMV

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,184 Posts
Drive it like you stole it (when safe to do so) every once in a while to clear the carbon deposits off the valves. Get the engine nice and hot.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,328 Posts
I’m more selective about gas brands today. than I used to be, as cars fueling technology has advanced. I do occasionally use fuel injector cleaner additive like Techron but not on any schedule.
I’m a firm believer that the thing that hurts an engine most are a consistent short sub ten mile trips. Engine oil and internal emissions features like EGR and pcv stay cleaner if they get nice and hot on a long drive. Your MM recognizes the longer drives and stretches service intervals as a result.

·
Registered
574 Posts
The periodic tankful of 93 is doing more for you than it is for the car.

As long as you're buying gas from reputable, high-volume stations, that's as good as it gets. If you have reason to believe that there's gunk in your tank, then by all means get it cleaned out. Otherwise, it's just a peace-of-mind thing.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Fill it with 87, throw in some fuel injector cleaner once a year or so if it makes you feel good and call it good. Nothing special required.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
If you are using quality fuel, the additive package in the fuel is keeping your system clean. So no need for fuel cleaner.

Running premium on a vehicle not designed to advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane rating does nothing but cost you more money. Stick with regular, the same additive package is in all levels of fuel at most stations.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’m more selective about gas brands today. than I used to be, as cars fueling technology has advanced. I do occasionally use fuel injector cleaner additive like Techron but not on any schedule.
I’m a firm believer that the thing that hurts an engine most are a consistent short sub ten mile trips. Engine oil and internal emissions features like EGR and pcv stay cleaner if they get nice and hot on a long drive. Your MM recognizes the longer drives and stretches service intervals as a result.
I could give a rat's kiester about the MM schedule, oil overy 5k transmission/differentials/transfer case every 30k. Unfortunately wifey only works about 6 miles from home and I work FROM home. But it does get highway action fairly regularly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Why use 'premium gas'? Dies the Gen 2 have sensors that actually change the timing based on the octane of the fuel in the engine?

IIRC, the Gen 2 is port injection, not in the cylinder. IIRC- no real problems or recalls w/ the injectors.
IMHO- you're already gong overkill. YMMV
I only use premium as a chaser to the Techron probably every 15-20K miles or so, not on a regular basis. One big disqualifier of the Acura MDX/RDX when we bought the Highlander in October was the premium fuel requirement.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
If you are using quality fuel, the additive package in the fuel is keeping your system clean. So no need for fuel cleaner.

Running premium on a vehicle not designed to advance timing to take advantage of the higher octane rating does nothing but cost you more money. Stick with regular, the same additive package is in all levels of fuel at most stations.
Thanks! Finally an answer without additional questions!

·
Registered
9,775 Posts
Usually Shell or Costco
Shell puts a higher concentration of detergent additives in its premium grade fuel, above and beyond that which is required to meet the top tier criteria.
(Sometimes it's necessary to ask additional questions in order to provide you with the appropriate answer.)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Eh, I did a real fuel line injected cleaning at about 125k miles. Possibly a slight improvement in idle, but otherwise no noticeable benefit. And I'm not too terribly careful about where I buy gas; Walmart, RaceTrack, QT, 7-11...whichever is closer/cheaper when I need to fill. 87 octane, unless on a trip fully loaded, where I switch to 91.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts