Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My '20 Honda Pilot has been reporting false fuel range. Started back in December where it showed 830 miles in full tank. Brought to dealer and they performed battery reset and brought it back to 390 miles range. Only 2 months later, the problem is back. Now full tank shows 630+ miles.. And when fuel light is on, it still shows 150 miles to empty. Brought it back to same dealer.. They held the car overnight because they were waiting call back from tech line (corporate technician who claimed they built the car). Next day they said nothing to repair because Tech Line said it's normal. Note that my avg MPG is about 19-22 at best. Reached out to American Honda.. Got response back from Regional Cust Serv Mgr.. And she said nothing Honda can do because it's consider normal. In fact she said I shouldn't rely on the computer.. Rather the gas gauge. I'm at lost... So if there's nothing wrong, why did they performed a reset on first incident? And why even bother having the trip computer on the car??

Anyone can point where I should go next? Thanks

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
869 Posts
Your actual MPG is normal and your indicated avg MPG on the display is actually less than actual which is unusual. My computer MPG always reads 10% high and I don't trust the range and just go by the fuel gauge so the range is pretty useless. The pilot has a 20 gal tank so 22mpg equals 440 mile range not 625 so something is way out of whack.

·
Registered
448 Posts
This reminds me of the old prank where you secretly add a gallon or two every night to your friend's car and they rave about the amazing fuel mileage.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Did you have the gauge cluster recall worked in December when this started?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,587 Posts
Does it change at all? The 2013 range indicator changes very often. When you first fill it up it'll say 450 miles but will go down to 300 ones I start driving.

·
Registered
129 Posts
What is your A average MPG? You are showing the B one in the picture, do you reset it often?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
This reminds me of the old prank where you secretly add a gallon or two every night to your friend's car and they rave about the amazing fuel mileage.
A while back in Europe, my dad was giving a hard time to the technician for the car’s poor mpg for a few months until one morning he found a note from the police that they caught someone siphoning gas from his car :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Did you have the gauge cluster recall worked in December when this started?
No I didn't. Is there such recall? The dealer just performed reset by pulling the battery out (that's what written on the service document)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What is your A average MPG? You are showing the B one in the picture, do you reset it often?

The A and B pretty much the same..I don't use it separately. And yes, I reset it every time after I filled up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Does it change at all? The 2013 range indicator changes very often. When you first fill it up it'll say 450 miles but will go down to 300 ones I start driving.
Now it's at 3/4 gas and it says I have 570 miles to go. With avg MPG 19.8

·
Registered
129 Posts
The A and B pretty much the same..I don't use it separately. And yes, I reset it every time after I filled up.
The reset might be related, it needs some sort of average to work out miles to empty and if you are coming in the gas station with a high MPG the miles to empty will be a pretty big unrealistic number. Try not to reset it over the course of 3-4 refills and see if it gets better.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Your actual MPG is normal and your indicated avg MPG on the display is actually less than actual which is unusual. My computer MPG always reads 10% high and I don't trust the range and just go by the fuel gauge so the range is pretty useless. The pilot has a 20 gal tank so 22mpg equals 440 mile range not 625 so something is way out of whack.
That's what I told the dealership and also Honda customer service...but they stand by what "TECH LINE" told them. I told them to let me speak with this so called "TECH LINE" so they can explain to me how they claimed is normal. Of course, they said "No, you can't speak to TECH LINE". I know for sure there's something wrong and my gut tells me they know it wrong too...but they don't know how to fix it..and they won't replace the computer, gauge cluster, fuel sensor, whatever it is..

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The reset might be related, it needs some sort of average to work out miles to empty and if you are coming in the gas station with a high MPG the miles to empty will be a pretty big unrealistic number. Try not to reset it over the course of 3-4 refills and see if it gets better.
I will try that route...because at this point, dealer & corporate pretty much neglecting the issue and left me hanging

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
Is that system that drives for you acting up too? Does it read the Speed limit signs and adjust accordingly? Does it change lanes for you when you come up on a car?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Has it caused you to actually 'run out of gas'?
Have you actually divided the # of miles between refills by the amount of gas that went it? You know- REAL mpg- not a computer estimate?

I think you have one of those miraculous mpg prototypes they are testing. Keep driving and let us know when it get over 600 miles on a tank of gas LOL

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that system that drives for you acting up too? Does it read the Speed limit signs and adjust accordingly? Does it change lanes for you when you come up on a car?

Have you actually divided the # of miles between refills by the amount of gas that went it? You know- REAL mpg- not a computer estimate?

I think you have one of those miraculous mpg prototypes they are testing. Keep driving and let us know when it get over 600 miles on a tank of gas LOL
What made me realize that issue was when my wife drove the car and she was coming back late at night and she realized the gas light is ON and she checked that the miles to empty showing 150 miles. She wasn't too comfortable stopping by gas station by herself during that time and thinking the car has 150 miles. The next day she told me and I said no wayyyyy.....reserve usually hold only 2 gallons..with 19 mpg..that should be only 38 miles to empty. So yes, this type of information could be dangerous especially for someone (like my wife)

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
What made me realize that issue was when my wife drove the car and she was coming back late at night and she realized the gas light is ON and she checked that the miles to empty showing 150 miles. She wasn't too comfortable stopping by gas station by herself during that time and thinking the car has 150 miles. The next day she told me and I said no wayyyyy.....reserve usually hold only 2 gallons..with 19 mpg..that should be only 38 miles to empty. So yes, this type of information could be dangerous especially for someone (like my wife)
Agreed. I hope you get it worked out.

Is the gauge itself working properly, or does it even have a gas gauge? I ask b/c I don't have a Gen 3 Pilot.

Wifes safety is paramount. Sorry for the sarcasm.

·
Registered
129 Posts

I had a Chevy lease that reported a random "transmission error" (amongst other errors), unresolved for almost 3 years and still not sure they actually fixed it or just didn't show up in the last months of the lease. Someone else's problem now. Miles to empty, I don't think I ever look at that... I just refill when I go down to one quarter tank.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,331 Posts
Agreed. I hope you get it worked out.

Is the gauge itself working properly, or does it even have a gas gauge? I ask b/c I don't have a Gen 3 Pilot.

Wifes safety is paramount. Sorry for the sarcasm.
You can see the actual gas gage in the OP photo. Confess like many, I rely on the range to empty more than the gas gage these days.

The problem with my approach is that I have a reserve in my Honda when range is zero. In Wifey's car, zero range means zero range. She's had it for four years and I only just figured it out. I don't drive it that often, usually on long runs.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts