Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been noticing a whine-type noise coming from my Pilot the last couple of weeks. It sounds similar to a fuel pump whine I've heard on a Dodge Caravan which resulted in a fuel pump replacement. The whine is very sublte and hard to hear inside the vehicle. But's it's easily noticed outside and is consistent. Anyone else have this problem or know what might be the cause? I've called my Dealer and will be taking it in shortly, but we're waiting on another part to come in (I broke the plastic molding around the driver's seat :( ) before the dealer sees it. They've also said they'll invesitgate my starting problem again while it's in for service.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just traded in my Pilot but had a noise like that.

Mine was quite loud and pronounced even inside.

It would make a loud buzzing noise when I accelerated whether in neutral or driving.

No idea what it was but I will ask the dealer I traded it in to.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Sound Files

Sounds (pun intended) like another good candidate for the sound file upload capability. admin, are you listening in? How's the tweaking coming along to allow sound files to be uploaded to the site?

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
Is it coming from the left rear wheel well area? If so, prolly the fuel pump as you surmise...on the MDX the fuel pump whine is normal. Some peeps notice it, some don't. I only notice it from the outside or if the windows are down and I'm in the garage. FWIW our "old" '98 Accord made/makes the same noise and has since day 1 without any fp problems, etc.

I've linked to some sound samples in a thread over there (search for WHINE). Actually tried to record it w/a digital recorder, but the exhaust note drowned it out on tape.

·
Registered
276 Posts
ablatt said:
I just traded in my Pilot but had a noise like that.

Mine was quite loud and pronounced even inside.

It would make a loud buzzing noise when I accelerated whether in neutral or driving.

No idea what it was but I will ask the dealer I traded it in to.

What did you trade it for? :eek:

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ablatt said:
2003 MDX.
Ohhh....I hate you! :D How much deduction off the original price did you have to take for the trade in? Be honest now. The thought of trading in my Pilot for either an X or the upcoming new Lexus RS330 has crossed my mind a few times.

I'm really bothered by the pinging noise I'm still experiencing with my car. I even had the technician drive around with me, but of course, just like Murphy's Law, when he was in the car, the car just purred no matter how hard I tried to recreate the sound. He would have none of looking into the car for me.

For the rest of the day, the pinging noise wasn't there, but the very nextday, it came back. It's driving me nuts! Then there's the sqeaks I get from the doors when it's cold out. Even the darn Pontiac Montana didn't make these types of noise, no matter how cold it was! Then there are the occassional starting problems I have.

I'd rather have a bit bigger monthly payments now with an X or the RS330 than to have to pay a huge repair bill for the Pilot after the warranty's up. As I read somewhere, the new RS330's supposed be priced lower than the X anyway.

·
Registered
94 Posts
12%. I figure that was good given I had the car 7 months already when I did the trade.

I had to pay freight/pdi again which is a bummer.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Well the 2 are kissing cousins, aren't they?

They share a lot of the same design and problems so both the Pilot and MDX sites are useful for both car owners.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ablatt said:
12%. I figure that was good given I had the car 7 months already when I did the trade.

I had to pay freight/pdi again which is a bummer.
Well, you still did pretty good. I was told I was looking at around 15% - 17% reduction from the sticker price and perhaps even more for the accessories!! To me, that doesn't make sense.

Anyway, how long have you had the X for now? How's it been behaving so far? Were there any particular problems with the Pilot that made you to trade in the Pilot for the X?

Sorry for all these questions, it's just that I thought I was the only one out there to consider trading in the Pilot for something else so soon. But I now have found my inspiration :2:

·
Registered
94 Posts
I was part of the infamous 'rattle from the right rear' thread. IN fact, I think I started it. BPilot and I both had the same annoying, unresolvable problem.

I didn't think they'd ever fix it and with time marching on wanted to do the trade before the 2004 Pilot came out and I'd get even less.

I've only had the MDX for a few days but so far I'm happy. It drives more like a sporty car than a truck and has nicer fit and finish. It gets terrible gas mileage though. I never tracked my Pilot mileage so I can't compare between the two.

Why are you not happy with your Pilot?

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
ablatt: reasons for unhapiness

There's the pinging noise coming from the engine when the RPM is in between 2K - 4K (yes, the throttle bracket's been adjusted, but I still get the noise). If I ease into those RPM bands, then the sound is not there. But, when I press on the accelerator moderately hard, such as merging onto a freeway and etc., then the pinging sound inevitably comes on. I had the service technician sit in the car with me for a test drive, but amazingly, I couldn't reproduce the sound. So, the technician refused to look into it. Of course, the sound came back the nextday. I noticed this problem almost right away after I took delivery of the car.

Then, there are the occassional starting problems which I encounter about every 3 days. This started to happen about 3 months ago, but back then, it only happened about every 2 weeks. But now, the frequency has increased and I really don't want to put up with another "if we can't reproduce the problem, then we're not gonna look at it" BS from the dealer, so, I haven't taken it in yet.

Then there are the door squeaks I get during the cold days. I don't care how cold it is outside, not one single vehicle I've owned in the past, all domestics at that, gave made such noise - even in colder temperatures.

I'm deathly afraid of all the repairs I'll be facing once the warranty expires. I'm betting that, especially with my luck, all these problems will just go apesh*t on me right after the warranty ends and I'll be faced with a huge repair bill.

·
Registered
1 Posts
TheWorm said:
Is it coming from the left rear wheel well area? If so, prolly the fuel pump as you surmise...on the MDX the fuel pump whine is normal. Some peeps notice it, some don't. I only notice it from the outside or if the windows are down and I'm in the garage. FWIW our "old" '98 Accord made/makes the same noise and has since day 1 without any fp problems, etc.

I've linked to some sound samples in a thread over there (search for WHINE). Actually tried to record it w/a digital recorder, but the exhaust note drowned it out on tape.
I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey with the same problem - since this thread is over 1 yr old - is the "normal" classification for this problem is true.

The noise is annoying, i'm surprise that there has not been more postings from others on this and a resultant TBS.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts