Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've previously posted on this issue. At 58K my '16 Pilot developed a very noticeable rattle noise during idle. From other members on this site, I discovered that Honda had a TSB, 16-013, about high pressure fuel pump chirp which described my noise to a tee. Eventually I found a dealer 60 miles away (my local dealer claimed the noise was normal) who confirmed the noise and performed the repair that the TSB recommended 6 months ago. It did the trick, as the Pilot was as quiet when he finished as the day I drove it off the lot. It was at no cost to me because the dealer covered the repair under the powertrain warranty. I asked at the time, and he estimated it would have cost me about $1,200 if out of warranty.

Now I have 63K miles on the vehicle and it is no longer under warranty. And ... you guessed it, the noise is back. No question it is the same. :mad:

My gut says to go back and talk to that dealer and see what he says. I have Honda Care on this vehicle but do not know if something like this is covered. To have a re-occurrence so soon, especially when a TSB has been issued, really shakes my faith in Honda. Really!!!!!!! I fear redoing the repair is a waste of time.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
If it's not covered by warranty I think it's up to you whether you pay to have it repaired or not. Per the TSB:
This noise does not impact pump, engine function, or reliability.

Depends on whether you can live with the noise or not at that point.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So to close the loop on this one, I finally had the Pilot back today to the dealer who did the original fuel pump repair last spring so they could take another look at the problem. Today he said they suspect the front engine mount and will replace it under Honda Care. I asked if I had two separate part failures that caused the same irritating noise, and he actually said "kinda looks that way." :unsure:

They have to order the part and will do the work in a couple of weeks. Guess I'll know more then.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Have you disabled the VCM yet? Broken motor mounts is a somewhat common problem that is caused by the factory VCM system. It'll be obvious when the pull the "bad" mount out if it is actually broken or not.

·
Registered
449 Posts
No. I don't even know what VCM is.
It's Honda's cylinder deactivation system: Variable Cylinder Management. Honda has used it on their V-6 engines for over a decade and it has led to a myriad of problems, from carbon-gunked sticky piston rings in the Odyssey to broken motor mounts in the Accord and Pilot. Just google "Honda VCM problems" and you'll see it on all the Honda forums.

One of the VCM-induced problems on the 3rd gen Pilot is broken motor mounts. Honda used electronically controlled engine mounts to reduce the extra vibrations caused from running in 3-cylinder mode.

Another developing problem we're seeing in 3rd gen Pilots is torque convertor and transmission problems. Honda decided to allow the torque convertor extra slip to smooth out the transition from 3-cyl to 6-cyl running, and with the lack of transmission cooling in the 3rd gen it really cooks the transmission fluid, leading to torque convertor problems if not corrected. If you live in a hot climate or drive in stop-go traffic, your transmission fluid is probably in bad shape, even if changed on Honda's schedule (1 drain and fill every 30k miles).

Easy fix is to permanently disable the VCM using an aftermarket electronic "muzzler" device to trick the ECU into not turning the system on.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. It would probably be easier for me to simply get rid of this rig. The more I drive Hondas and the more I learn about them the less I like 'em. I have a '18 CRV with only 15K miles and have it up for sale right now for just those reasons. Buying it was a mistake.

My MM on the Pilot has never triggered a message to change the ATF in over 60K miles. But I'm old school and did a drain and fill anyway at 30, 40 and 50K miles cause I was worried and it was so easy.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Pilot Touring AWD
66 Posts
Keep us posted as I also have this chirping noise near the rear engine mount area and had it replaced. Dealership can’t seem to figure it out.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's Honda's cylinder deactivation system: Variable Cylinder Management. Honda has used it on their V-6 engines for over a decade and it has led to a myriad of problems, from carbon-gunked sticky piston rings in the Odyssey to broken motor mounts in the Accord and Pilot. Just google "Honda VCM problems" and you'll see it on all the Honda forums.

One of the VCM-induced problems on the 3rd gen Pilot is broken motor mounts. Honda used electronically controlled engine mounts to reduce the extra vibrations caused from running in 3-cylinder mode.

Another developing problem we're seeing in 3rd gen Pilots is torque convertor and transmission problems. Honda decided to allow the torque convertor extra slip to smooth out the transition from 3-cyl to 6-cyl running, and with the lack of transmission cooling in the 3rd gen it really cooks the transmission fluid, leading to torque convertor problems if not corrected. If you live in a hot climate or drive in stop-go traffic, your transmission fluid is probably in bad shape, even if changed on Honda's schedule (1 drain and fill every 30k miles).

Easy fix is to permanently disable the VCM using an aftermarket electronic "muzzler" device to trick the ECU into not turning the system on.
What years was the d gen pilots? I have a 2012 and tow a 3000 pound camper. And where would I get this muzzler kit? THanks

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Keep us posted as I also have this chirping noise near the rear engine mount area and had it replaced. Dealership can’t seem to figure it out.
I picked up my Pilot today after the dealer replaced the front active motor mount. Not only is the engine totally silent now, but it seems to run more smoothly. The chirping noise is completely gone, and my guess is that the new mount is doing a better job absorbing engine vibrations than the old worn out one did. In my view this dealer was spot on with his two diagnosis-es. First last spring when he changed the fuel pump per the TSB, and now this month when he replaced the motor mount. I guess all I have left to worry about is the second active motor mount at the rear of the engine.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice! Just need to disable the VCM to keep it from happening again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts