Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Fuel Injectors replaced but P0430 keeps coming back

774 Views 20 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  BobTheUnfixer
Hello all, I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L with 140k miles on it. We had the injector and software update done on it at the local dealer not too long ago but not long after that the same code kept popping up as if nothing happened. What else could I do to fix this? I heard the VCM might have something to do with this, could deleting that help?
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
452 Posts
Same issue here. Already got injectors replaced and software updates they claim was needed under recall.

Now does your light go away after doing long drives? Like it just magically goes off the next time you turn off the car? And as long as you are doing long drives it will stay off?
Mine will come on again only if a lot of stop and go and a lot of idling. I can help reduce it from coming on if I have that auto stop thing where the engine shuts off partially at a light. But long idling and stop and go will eventaully have the light come on again but it takes a bit.

Then again long drives/cruises and it will turn off again on its own.

Also check

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,992 Posts
I highly recommend disabling the VCM. This will keep the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It very well could be the source of your emissions codes. Other things to consider doing…
  • Check Air filter New/clean installed correctly, box sealed
  • Intake hose should be crack free, clamps tight
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Replace PCV valve
  • On time oil changes
  • Use a quality full synthetic 0w20 engine oil, no extended performance or semi blend oils
  • Use a quality medium< price/grade oil filter
  • Use top tier 87 octane fuel or fuel system or injector cleaner regularly
  • Periodically take the vehicle out on the highway for som extended periods of highway speed drives.

Reactions: Magdi

· Registered
2008 HONDA PILOT EXL 305K
3 Posts
Hello all, I have a 2016 Pilot EX-L with 140k miles on it. We had the injector and software update done on it at the local dealer not too long ago but not long after that the same code kept popping up as if nothing happened. What else could I do to fix this? I heard the VCM might have something to do with this, could deleting that help?
Q. Did you get only P0430 or both P0430 & P0420 ?

· Registered
452 Posts
Any update on yours?

The link I posted, just realized that owner never got the recall done yet so his might be fixed. We are the only ones that have had injectors replaced and having emission lights still come on.

However you havnt responded and confirmed when and how yours comes on? Mine comes on like the link I posted, where i have to be idling for a while and/or doing stop and go driving without the start stop enabled. With the stop start enabled it seems like it wont trigger it because the engine goes off. And then during long drives will never come on and if the light is on, after a long drive the emissions light will usually turn back off after the next start.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
For these Pilots that ran for a while with bad injectors, it seems from several posts that the cats were abused. While the root cause was addressed, the secondary damage was not. Honda certainly understands that the injector issue might also damage the cats. I doubt they will acknowledge it. As suggested in other threads, if the catalytic damage was temporary (soot or light carbon contamination), then the cats might return to near nominal efficiency over time. How much time--who knows. I would venture--guessing-- that if the cat efficiency codes keep setting after 3000 miles or so, then the cat wont ever recover.

· Registered
452 Posts
For these Pilots that ran for a while with bad injectors, it seems from several posts that the cats were abused. While the root cause was addressed, the secondary damage was not. Honda certainly understands that the injector issue might also damage the cats. I doubt they will acknowledge it. As suggested in other threads, if the catalytic damage was temporary (soot or light carbon contamination), then the cats might return to near nominal efficiency over time. How much time--who knows. I would venture--guessing-- that if the cat efficiency codes keep setting after 3000 miles or so, then the cat wont ever recover.
i didnt get the emissions light until over 100K miles then shortly got the recall and injectors replaced after.

do you think all that time the injectors fouled up the cat? Was it running rich at idle, i do a lot of long drives and maybe why mine didnt trigger until much later than those who were getting the emissions light at half that mileage.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
One would needed to have monitored fuel trims before the injectors were replaced to have a reasonable certainty at answering that, but injector or fuel related issues in any engine can cause wider swings in exhaust oxygen/hydrocarbon ratios than the cat was designed to mitigate. Anything that coats or clogs or overheats the catalysts reduces its ability to store 02, which it uses to burn off/convert emission gasses and small amounts of unburnt fuel. The stored O2 is what makes the O2 levels in the after-cat exhaust stream remain relatively stable while cruising. O2 is picked by the after-cat O2 sensor. If the O2 levels change to abruptly or follow the upstream sensor O2 levels to quickly, it sets P0420/P0430.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i didnt get the emissions light until over 100K miles then shortly got the recall and injectors replaced after.

do you think all that time the injectors fouled up the cat? Was it running rich at idle, i do a lot of long drives and maybe why mine didnt trigger until much later than those who were getting the emissions light at half that mileage.
I have a bad feeling all the time with the bad injectors might be the cause but I’m not really sure.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Any update on yours?

The link I posted, just realized that owner never got the recall done yet so his might be fixed. We are the only ones that have had injectors replaced and having emission lights still come on.

However you havnt responded and confirmed when and how yours comes on? Mine comes on like the link I posted, where i have to be idling for a while and/or doing stop and go driving without the start stop enabled. With the stop start enabled it seems like it wont trigger it because the engine goes off. And then during long drives will never come on and if the light is on, after a long drive the emissions light will usually turn back off after the next start.
I’m not entirely sure the conditions that cause it to return as I do not drive that vehicle very often. My mom drives it and she doesn’t really pay attention to such things unfortunately. Our Pilot does not have Stop/Start so I can’t say that affects it at all.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I highly recommend disabling the VCM. This will keep the engine running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time. It very well could be the source of your emissions codes. Other things to consider doing…
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Replace PCV valve
  • On time oil changes
  • Use a quality full synthetic 0w20 engine oil, no extended performance or semi blend oils
  • Periodically take the vehicle out on the highway for som extended periods of highway speed drives.
One would needed to have monitored fuel trims before the injectors were replaced to have a reasonable certainty at answering that, but injector or fuel related issues in any engine can cause wider swings in exhaust oxygen/hydrocarbon ratios than the cat was designed to mitigate. Anything that coats or clogs or overheats the catalysts reduces its ability to store 02, which it uses to burn off/convert emission gasses and small amounts of unburnt fuel. The stored O2 is what makes the O2 levels in the after-cat exhaust stream remain relatively stable while cruising. O2 is picked by the after-cat O2 sensor. If the O2 levels change to abruptly or follow the upstream sensor O2 levels to quickly, it sets P0420/P0430.
I monitored the fuel trims when the code was first showing up, but haven't had the chance to do it lately. I'll do that the next time I have the chance to see if anything has changed. I would hope so but I would like to think that would mean the code wouldn't be showing up again.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
  • Clean MAF sensor
  • Replace PCV valve
  • On time oil changes
I've looked into the VCM delete and will see about installing a VCMTUNER II when it becomes available again. As for the rest of the items listed, we have not cleaned the MAF, replaced the PCV, and I'm not sure if it is always filled with Top Tier 87. It is usually filled with whatever gas the grocery store it finds itself at has.

· Registered
2020 honda pilot exl with nav and res ,michelin ltx m/s
134 Posts
I run bg 44k for fuel system cleaner and I do run 93 octane every 4th fill up since I owned the car I do have 31k on my 2020.after running 44k a few times the car is very responsive drives smoother.2 family members have a 2017 and 19.they drive my car they say it feels better then there's.i drive there cars it's not as responsive, feels rather lacking power .I purchased 4 bottles of bg 44k fuel system cleaner put it in there cars after running through full tank on 93 octane and 44k there car started to feel like mine.the stuff works wonders .my friends shops run this stuff all the time to clean out fuel injectors it works grea

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have a new update. I just went out and checked the fuel trims and the 02 readings on a cold start. The bank 2 fuel trims are a few points higher than bank 1 fuel trims (down into the -8's). Bank 2 Sensor 2 is absolutely erratic, reading as /\/\/\/\/\/\/\ instead of slow, smooth ups and downs. Bank 1 Sensor 2 has a few dips here and there but is mostly a smooth curve the whole time I was looking at it. These are the symptoms I saw before the injectors were replaced so essentially nothing has changed.

· Registered
1,473 Posts
I monitored the fuel trims when the code was first showing up, but haven't had the chance to do it lately. I'll do that the next time I have the chance to see if anything has changed. I would hope so but I would like to think that would mean the code wouldn't be showing up again.
Yep, Bank 2 cat is right dickered, and sensor B2S2 is tattling like a bratty school boy to the PCM.

The possible damage done to the cat by defective injectors may be permanent, as was done likely well before you started monitoring it just before the injectors were replaced. While hopeful the cat will cleanse itself somewhat and get better over time, the pessimist side of me thinks the only way you are going to get the efficiency code to go away is a new cat, or an illegal "fooler" device.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Yep, Bank 2 cat is right dickered, and sensor B1S2 is tattling like a bratty school boy to the PCM.

The possible damage done to the cat by defective injectors may be permanent, as was done likely well before you started monitoring it just before the injectors were replaced. While hopeful the cat will cleanse itself somewhat and get better over time, the pessimist side of me thinks the only way you are going to get the efficiency code to go away is a new cat, or an illegal "fooler" device.

· Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yep, Bank 2 cat is right dickered, and sensor B1S2 is tattling like a bratty school boy to the PCM.

That’s one way to put it lol

Since we don’t do emissions it will probably just sit on the back burner until we can get to it as long as it doesn’t affect the drivability. The first priority will probably be getting a S-VCM since the VCMTUNER II is sold out and see how that does.

· Registered
2020 honda pilot exl with nav and res ,michelin ltx m/s
134 Posts
That’s one way to put it lol

Since we don’t do emissions it will probably just sit on the back burner until we can get to it as long as it doesn’t affect the drivability. The first priority will probably be getting a S-VCM since the VCMTUNER II is sold out and see how that does.

· Registered
452 Posts
Yep, Bank 2 cat is right dickered, and sensor B2S2 is tattling like a bratty school boy to the PCM.

new cat probably cost $2000, i should take a bat and ding the fender and claim it with insurance along with the cat LOL

1 - 20 of 21 Posts