Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
I'm not one for fearmongering, but if your intention is to drive your 3rd gen for 200k miles +, I'd plan for some valve cleaning. Is it a benefit? Yes. I think that's what the OP is trying to find out, plus wants a recommendation of what to use.
I think a walnut blasting at 100k would be great if valves were caked.
If, at every 105K miles, the spark plugs will be removed for replacement and the valve covers will be removed for the recommended valve clearance check/adjustment, that would seem to be a convenient opportunity to also clean the valves, if needed.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
As one who just recently scraped off carbon from the back of the valves of a direct injection 3rd gen Honda V6, it ain't a problem until it's a problem. Use a top tier fuel for sure. I'm also experimenting with what Scotty recommended here....
Gumout Multi System Tune-Up
I wouldn't rule out using a product like CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner.
great . let us know the results. would it be possible to give a breakdown of which gas stations to use and ones to avoid? thanks. btw, i and others appreciate your knowledge and input. it's very helpful !

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
Some fuel companies are known for their gasoline additives. The big names like Shell, ExxonMobil, Chevron, Valero etc. are known to be top tier fuels. Not always, but unbranded fuel stations may be selling gasoline without additives. I'd simply inquire. Their websites will usually say. If I have to ask, I usually avoid those anyway.
I don't have a lot of hope in preventing carbon buildup on the back of the valves without using a product like CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner. My greater hope by using good quality gasoline (87 octane) and the occasional fuel treatment is to prevent dirty injectors.
Other things I'd suggest...
  • Disable the VCM
  • On time oil changes using a 0w-20 full synthetic oil. One with a low Noack rating
  • Air Filter New/Clean
  • Air intake tube leak/crack free, clamps tight
  • Clean the Mass Airflow Sensor (MAF)
  • Replace or clean the PCV valve if clogged with baked in oil deposits.
  • Spark plugs New/Clean NGK Laser Iridiums every 100k miles.
Hope this helps.

Reactions: meneldor

·
Registered
84 Posts
What's truly tiring is the perpetual posts touting only one brand of motor oil, only one brand of ATF and only one brand of tires. Likewise, for the implication that any off-brand parts purchased from RockAuto are just as good as OEM and that experience with various used/abused/wrecked/rebuilt Honda vehicles applies to all Pilots, even those that were purchased new and dealer maintained.
we're on a single brand single model forum, so complaining about someone pushing a single brand single model of anything seems a little odd. People reading his posts are perfectly capable of taking his advice in the same vein as they do anyone elses, you don't need to police things. Similarly, drawing lines in the sand about the value of someones experience based on where they buy and maintain their vehicle is nonsensical. I bought my Pilot second hand at a Toyota dealership and do all the maintenance myself. Does that mean my opinion and experience is worth less than yours?

It would do this forum a great deal of good, along with your own image in the eyes of others, if you lay off baiting Nail Grease.

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
we're on a single brand single model forum, so complaining about someone pushing a single brand single model of anything seems a little odd. People reading his posts are perfectly capable of taking his advice in the same vein as they do anyone elses, you don't need to police things. Similarly, drawing lines in the sand about the value of someones experience based on where they buy and maintain their vehicle is nonsensical. I bought my Pilot second hand at a Toyota dealership and do all the maintenance myself. Does that mean my opinion and experience is worth less than yours?

It would do this forum a great deal of good, along with your own image in the eyes of others, if you lay off baiting Nail Grease.
It’s not all bad as there is some comedic value buried inside the technical jargon and your points have merit too
Facial expression Toy Gesture Cartoon Primate

·
Registered
10,201 Posts

Over 12,000 posts in under two years.
How many posts does it take to repeatedly recommend the same single brand/formula of ATF or the same single brand/model of tire?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,378 Posts
Over 12,000 posts in under two years.
How many posts does it take to repeatedly recommend the same single brand/formula of ATF or the same single brand/model of tire?
I've written 3 different post and deleted them before hitting "Post Reply."
There is an ignore button if you don't enjoy reading my post.
Enjoy your evening.

Reactions: Highspeedbail

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
There is an ignore button if you don't enjoy reading my post.
Doing so would risk the possibility of missing the earthshaking news that there actually might be more than one brand/formula of ATF or one brand/model of tire deemed fit for use by a certain member of this community.
Wouldn't want that to happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
are these lubricants safe for honda engine parts, rubber seals, and gaskets? i've read that they're good for the fuel injectors and preventing intake carbon build up. could be useful in conjunction with vcm disablers for preventive measures to keep our engines long lasting. which are recommended; Lucas, seafoam, Marvel Mystery OIL? other brands?
Amsoil has an excellent line of products. I have a 2017 Honda Pilot Touring and I use their injector cleaners. Since your engine is Direct Injection this type of product will do nothing to keep carbon buildup on your intake valves as the gas is injected directly into the cylinder and does not go over the intake valves.
If you use a full synthetic like Amsoil the chance of carbon buildup on your intake valves reduces dramatically. I know because I have checked my valves and there is absolutely no buildup.
You could also have an oil can installed to stop any oil mist from going into your engine.
I hope this helps.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts