Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
are these lubricants safe for honda engine parts, rubber seals, and gaskets? i've read that they're good for the fuel injectors and preventing intake carbon build up. could be useful in conjunction with vcm disablers for preventive measures to keep our engines long lasting. which are recommended; Lucas, seafoam, Marvel Mystery OIL? other brands?

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
To help clarify... the third gen Pilot ('16+) utilizes direct injection, which injects gasoline in the combustion chamber rather than on the back of the valve like a port fuel injection system in the prior Pilots. This means the cleaner would only ever be able to clean the injector itself and possibly some of the combustion chamber.

As @xGS said, running top tier fuel is a proven way to ensure you never need injector cleaner in any vehicle.

As far as intake valves becoming dirty with carbon, this is a topic of debate. I can say it is very rare for Honda's direct injected J series engine to have carbon buildup problems and if I personally had a new Pilot I would not be concerned about the buildup. Some early adopters (or poorly designed crankcase ventilation systems on newer designs) such as VW, BMW, GM 2.5L, etc. have seen major carbon buildup issues on the intake valves that lead to the valves not seating properly among other issues. The repair cost is usually on the order of $1,000 so people get very wary thinking this applies to all DI engines.

So to summarize, use top tier fuel and motor happily, nothing to see here.

Reactions: rcornero

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
As one who just recently scraped off carbon from the back of the valves of a direct injection 3rd gen Honda V6, it ain't a problem until it's a problem. Use a top tier fuel for sure. I'm also experimenting with what Scotty recommended here....
Gumout Multi System Tune-Up
I wouldn't rule out using a product like CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
That is not a bad idea. Although with the price of fuel $1.50 per Litre for Regular. $1.62 for premium.
Just not cost effective. An American Gallon is roughly 3.78 Litres.
Chevron Techron fuel additive is often the first choice for a fuel system additive, but it may not be available in Canada.
Another option would be one of the Gumout products that has the ingredient PEA noted on the label.
Your 2008 Pilot does not have direct injection, so if you're not experiencing any drivability issues, I'd just use a Top Tier brand regular grade fuel and not bother with any extra fuel additives.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
As one who just recently scraped off carbon from the back of the valves of a direct injection 3rd gen Honda V6, it ain't a problem until it's a problem. Use a top tier fuel for sure. I'm also experimenting with what Scotty recommended here....
Gumout Multi System Tune-Up
I wouldn't rule out using a product like CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner.
And this is the only user on this forum that I have heard having carbon buildup on the intake valves... Like I said, not a big issue in these vehicles.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
And this is the only user on this forum that I have heard having carbon buildup on the intake valves... Like I said, not a big issue in these vehicles.
When you buy your vehicles previously-owned, with no service history and no idea how they might have been (ab)used, there's just no telling what sort of fuel system - or transmission - problems you might eventually experience.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Obviously Honda found it to be a problem, having to give out free injector replace for P219A and P219B codes.

Automotive tire Household hardware Cylinder Auto part Engineering

Glasses Automotive lighting Eyewear Fluid Liquid

It can be a problem. Use good gasoline is the least we can do. I'd disable the VCM too.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
When you buy your vehicles previously-owned, with no service history and no idea how they might have been (ab)used, there's just no telling what sort of fuel system - or transmission - problems you might eventually experience.
Direct Injection engines have a carbon build up issue on valves. Honda is not exempt. So what ever negative or dirogatory comments you have about how I acquired my 3rd gen Pilot doesn't negate this fact. Which Pilot do you currently own? Is it dirrect injection? What is your personal experience with this?

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Direct Injection engines have a carbon build up issue on valves. Honda is not exempt. So what ever negative or dirogatory comments you have about how I acquired my 3rd gen Pilot doesn't negate this fact. Which Pilot do you currently own? Is it dirrect injection? What is your personal experience with this?
Were any perceived "negative or dirogatory" comments directed at you?
I don't see any specific mention of you or your Pilot - it was just a general observation.

The year and trim of the Pilot I own is listed at the bottom of each of my posts.
From that information, you should be able to determine whether or not my Pilot has direct injection.
Also, in post #7, I was responding to another Piloteer whose vehicle does not have direct injection.

·
Registered
4,516 Posts
Obviously Honda found it to be a problem, having to give out free injector replace for P219A and P219B codes.

View attachment 154556
View attachment 154555
It can be a problem. Use good gasoline is the least we can do. I'd disable the VCM too.
IMO Honda is exempt, searching the forums for their DI vehicles there are very few complaints of carbon buildup causing issues. I understand you had the issue, however that does not make this a universal issue and we should not recommend users chase ghosts for one users experience in the 4 years I've been on this forum. Also, I'm not sure what made you check your intake valves but that buildup is pretty tame compared to what I usually see before a check engine light is tripped or the vehicle starts running poorly.

I don't know enough about the injector issue to speak intelligently on it, but while early models did experience injector replacements I have seen one instance of carbon buildup needing to be removed.

Nose Head Chin Eyebrow Eye

Reactions: Slvr7

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
Unless your 3rd gen Pilot has got some magical way of cleaning the back of it's own valve, then carbon buildup can become an issue. Ignoring it is not wise. Take steps now as a preventative (as mentioned above). I believe on time oil changes can have a great effect, as old thin oil begins to loose it's original quality, it tends to go places it shouldn't. Many Piloteers have discovered oil up in their intake manifold. Some Honda dealerships are selling a fuel induction cleaning service.

·
Registered
84 Posts
one reason why you may not have heard of many cases of carbon build up on the valves is because people aren't in the habit of taking off their intakes to have a look see unless some major issue indicates that they should do so. Engines can tolerate a pretty wide range in intake conditions without you ever noticing. Not saying that there is a problem, only that you won't know if there is carbon buildup until it has built up enough to seriously deteriorate engine performance.

And xGS, stop baiting Nail Grease. Whatever issue you two have, do us all a favour and take it somewhere else. It's tiring to read you constantly crapping on any thread he contributes to.

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
And xGS, stop baiting Nail Grease. Whatever issue you two have, do us all a favour and take it somewhere else. It's tiring to read you constantly crapping on any thread he contributes to.
What's truly tiring is the perpetual posts touting only one brand of motor oil, only one brand of ATF and only one brand of tires. Likewise, for the implication that any off-brand parts purchased from RockAuto are just as good as OEM and that experience with various used/abused/wrecked/rebuilt Honda vehicles applies to all Pilots, even those that were purchased new and dealer maintained.

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
What's truly tiring is the perpetual posts touting only one brand of motor oil, only one brand of ATF and only one brand of tires. Likewise, for the implication that any off-brand parts purchased from RockAuto are just as good as OEM and that experience with various used/abused/wrecked/rebuilt Honda vehicles applies to all Pilots, even those that were purchased new and dealer maintained.
So just because I repaired/replaced the radiator core support on my Honda makes it a lesser example than a dealer serviced Pilot? I'm not experiening any more than others have. Transmission torque converter issue, black ATF, P219A code, Injector replacement. All common for this 3rd gen. I think your comments are sometimes personal. I give you the benefit of the doubt most always.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Top tier brand gas theres a lot of them now Arco is now one of them. But you also have Costco.

As far as stuff to get rid of deposits.. Go to YouTube and watch Project Farm's videos he talks about which is best there. I used to go with a lot of brands and I prefer the ones that have lubricants for the upper cylinders for the reasons of your concern but now since I saw the real live tests done by project farm I only use Seafoam. Its been great for me.

·
Registered
821 Posts
For what it's worth
I see a ton of Gdi vehicles on a daily basis, have looked at intake valves in them up to 500k so far. The only issues I have seen are in fits, everything else seems to do just fine. If your engine runs, there are going to be some deposits on your valves, it will become a full time job to keep them "clean". o_O

·
Registered
12,373 Posts
For what it's worth
I see a ton of Gdi vehicles on a daily basis, have looked at intake valves in them up to 500k so far. The only issues I have seen are in fits, everything else seems to do just fine. If your engine runs, there are going to be some deposits on your valves, it will become a full time job to keep them "clean". o_O
I'm not one for fearmongering, but if your intention is to drive your 3rd gen for 200k miles +, I'd plan for some valve cleaning. Is it a benefit? Yes. I think that's what the OP is trying to find out, plus wants a recommendation of what to use.
I think a walnut blasting at 100k would be great if valves were caked.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts