Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever used Fuel Injector Cleaner on their Pilot? If yes, what is a good brand to use? I have used STP on my Accord V6 and am considering using it on the Pilot.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
I use STP too...

·
Registered
35 Posts
I like Techron (Chevron dealers) or Pro-Gard (retail version). You can actually tell a difference if you use this stuff. It was a lot more noticable in a CRX I had, than with the Pilot though.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Have not used any on the Hondas.
The Porsche world seem to like Techtroline (Or however it is spelled).
Cheveron sells it in bottles as well as blended with theeir upper grade gas.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
How often do you guys use this stuff? I've been wondering about using it too, ever since I watched this aumotive tv show and the guy who's featured in the mechanical maintenance part of show recommended that you use it once in a while, but never specified how often or at what intervals. Thanks.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
I use the Techron concentrate (full bottle - the big one good for ~ 20 gals) on the tank I'm gonna run down before each oil change.

·
Registered
35 Posts
They reccomend that you only use it once per oil change. I usually use it about once every 10,000 miles.

The one drawback for this stuff is that it is expensive (~$10 for 20 gallon treatment) compared to the other "cleaners".

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
TheWorm said:
I use the Techron concentrate (full bottle - the big one good for ~ 20 gals) on the tank I'm gonna run down before each oil change.
I use the Techron you buy at Costco the next tank after an oil change, which is done every 3750 miles. As I recall, the label on the bottle recommends to add the stuff no more than every 1000 miles.

·
Registered
50 Posts
You are better off with the AMSOIL PI. Without debating which injector cleaner is superior (and I'm sure AMSOIL's PI would rank at or near the top anyway), consider the cost:

$7.55 for 16 ounces

And after the initial treatment of 6 ounces to ten gallons, which new cars or those switching from another brand of cleaner don't need, you just use 1 ounce for every ten gallons...

It's tough to beat for cost-effectiveness and tough to beat for performance. And, you even see a slight fuel economy increase.

Regards,
~ Fred

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I've had good luck with a product called "BG Supercharge" over the years. It is good for cleaning fuel injectors and is also good for sticking slides in some of the older motorcycles.

YMMV

·
Registered
37 Posts
Im still investigating the use of cleaners. I've never used them before and am still researching. Please read below for more information:

From, Consumer Reports::
However, that’s where PBAs benefits stop. In fact, additives with PBA chemistry actually contribute to combustion chamber deposits, which can potentially cause engine knock and increased emissions.
More advanced additives—especially those containing polyether amine (PEA) chemistry—can deliver additional benefits, such as cleaning combustion chambers, reducing engine knocking and pinging, relieving cold-startup issues, and removing harmful sulfur deposits from gas gauge sensors to protect them from malfunctions.
Chevron patented PEA chemistry in the early 1980s. Today, it's not only used in the company’s Techron Concentrate Plus, but also in fuel system cleaners from STP, Gumout, and Valvoline. In fact, many auto dealerships use PEA chemistry in the fuel injection-cleaning service they offer. So instead of paying $150, head over to your local auto parts dealer once every 3,000 miles, buy a fuel system cleaner with PEA, put it in with a full tank of gas, and save $140.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I think you can use Chevron Techron. It's not just cleaning the dirt from fuel injector even also from carburettors. It is great for diesel engines but also applicable with gas engines.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Modern engines and fuel formulations won't benefit much, in my opinion. There isnt enough data that shows these products actually work.

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
I run a bottle in each car once a year... $30 I'm willing to sacrifice if it's helping in any way. If not, it's $30 to make me feel like I'm helping my vehicle and I'm at peace with that as well.

Reactions: zmarke01

·
Registered
331 Posts
I use the Gumout Regane with PEA as a easy and available maintenance. Many on BITOG reported good things with it over the techron. I used to use to use Techron 2-3 times per year but never noticed a difference. I figured it was clean and I was maintaining. I had an Explorer that would ping on anything but premium. Shop did a borescope to show all my carbon issues. They did a "de-carbonizing" with some BG products (thread on fuel rail version not can in tank) and showed results after with borescope that was amazing. Eliminated the pinging and went bag to normal octane fuel. He suggested the BG44k as the 1-2 times per year, not cheap and harder to find. Local Infiniti dealer had best price. They used the fuel rail and the can when they charged for the fuel injector cleaning service.

I tried the BG44k in my Corolla with probably 150k at that time that was getting the maintenace techron for years. Noticeable difference after 1 tank with power, idle smoothness and at least 2mpg better mileage under normal conditions...........until.........I also changed tranny fluid to BG Synchroshift on recommendation from BMW dealer mechanic to try eliminating a slight grind between shifts under load/higher RPM (stick shift). Tranny fluid worked excellent, grind gone, more power from cleaned injectors brought back the happy, smiling, close to redline shifts, which brought the mileage back down a bit, oh well. Car got totalled with 220k on it and was getting 40 mpg highway when driven normal on trips.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Has anyone ever used Fuel Injector Cleaner on their Pilot? If yes, what is a good brand to use? I have used STP on my Accord V6 and am considering using it on the Pilot.

Thanks.
Lucas Gas Treatment will clean, lubricate the injectors and other sensors for much better gas mileage. I had an engine light on both the Pilot and GMC Envoy as a result of using the cheap brands of gas. This was recommended to me by several mechanics. With one tank the engine light went off.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Lucas Gas Treatment will clean, lubricate the injectors and other sensors for much better gas mileage. I had an engine light on both the Pilot and GMC Envoy as a result of using the cheap brands of gas. This was recommended to me by several mechanics. With one tank the engine light went off.
What was the actual code being thrown on the Pilot?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Engine light on - The Honda dealer didn't tell me the code, just said either bad spark plug or may need a engine work replace cylinder. Ya right at 96,000 miles.
Then at the same time the Dealer said the VSA and VTM error displayed may indicate it needs a new transmission as they don't change either of the possible external transmission modules that I had researched and saw how to change on U-tube. In any case everything was fixed when I found the #1 spark plug had the wrong gap, tang over the electrode was bent. $8 everything fixed and working now for the last year. Note VSA and VTM error also comes on if plug to air filter isn't plugged in again after air filter changed, not Transmission related error at all. Poor Honda diagnostics! Saw people spent $400 at dealers chasing these ghost errors when display error comes on but no error codes come up on the computer's diagnostics.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts