Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yes, top tier 87 octane fuel should contain enough detergents to keep injector nozzles clean in these engines. Possibly your issue with the 2016 could have been related to that early batch of defective injectors but Honda now has a new updated part number on the replacement injectors. I don't know if the injector design has actually changed or if it was just an updated part number though.
Can the VIN be used to determine which injectors (part number) were used?

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
230 Posts
I thought that initially the TSB for the injectors only applied to early production 2016's but the latest TSB applies to all pilots up to 2019 and they would have the 315 injectors and not the original 305's. This leads me to believe that there was no change in injector design.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I thought that initially the TSB for the injectors only applied to early production 2016's but the latest TSB applies to all pilots up to 2019 and they would have the 315 injectors and not the original 305's. This leads me to believe that there was no change in injector design.
Wow, that's disappointing. Does make this start to look more like a VCM-related issue than a manufacturing defect as claimed by Honda in the TSB.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm approaching 40,000 miles in my 2017...will keep this forum informed if something goes awry.

Should people be considering VCMuzzler or VCMTuner?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’ve seen this is a recurrent issue and it is not normal. Check engine light came on with the message “Emision System Problem”. My Pilot’s 50k miles. As expected it was the fuel injection system. Had to replace it and pay $1200. Four things:
  • This is happening to a bunch of Pilots and Honda knows and does nothing (just check this forum!)
  • This is NOT a common problem at all in other brands
  • Many brands (have not checked all) consider injectors as part of the engine and are covered by power train warranty, not Honda (cause of some bs about “the injectors sit on top bla bla bla, covered by emissions warranty bla bla bla)
  • Had i known this i wouldnt have bought a pilot and neither should anyone, given how Honda handles this issue
Honda does not cover this past 36k miles unless you live in specific states (like California). Guys at shop know this is a common problem, not only they told me, they had all the required parts in stock. Forums have talked about this since the beginning of times. It seems at first Honda helped pay part or most for those that complained and even produced notices/reports about the issue (these were recalled in 2019). I called Honda to place a claim/complaint, they didnt care much but gave me a claim number for my records.... Good luck if you have this problem, which if you own or buy a pilot you most likely will!!
I have 220,000 miles on my 2005 and that has not happened to me as yet. I replaced almost everything else. But, most of those were due to age and were wearable parts and expected. Do I have problems? yes mostly with the Blender on the AC. The motor controlling that seems to wear out every 4 years or so.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have 220,000 miles on my 2005 and that has not happened to me as yet. I replaced almost everything else. But, most of those were due to age and were wearable parts and expected. Do I have problems? yes mostly with the Blender on the AC. The motor controlling that seems to wear out every 4 years or so.

·
Registered
19 Posts
That seems to happen to many different brands of vehicles, I wouldn't be surprised if one manufacturer makes those for most brands.

·
Registered
230 Posts
What type of setup are you using to analyze and compare the quality of these two fuels?
From my experience, I had the dreaded P0430 code come up back in March at 51k miles. I switched fuel brands from the cheap no name brand I was using to Esso 87 and have not had the code come back and I am over 56k now on the original injectors. Fuel quality was never an issue with the 2nd gen engines and I assumed the same with these new engines but I was wrong. You definitely need more detergents to keep the injectors clean in these GDI engines and the engine control management system is definately very sensitive, maybe too sensitive. I think in time that the fuel refiners will develop better detergents for these engines as a lot of auto makers are using GDI tech now.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I’ve seen this is a recurrent issue and it is not normal. Check engine light came on with the message “Emision System Problem”. My Pilot’s 50k miles. As expected it was the fuel injection system. Had to replace it and pay $1200. Four things:
  • This is happening to a bunch of Pilots and Honda knows and does nothing (just check this forum!)
  • This is NOT a common problem at all in other brands
  • Many brands (have not checked all) consider injectors as part of the engine and are covered by power train warranty, not Honda (cause of some bs about “the injectors sit on top bla bla bla, covered by emissions warranty bla bla bla)
  • Had i known this i wouldnt have bought a pilot and neither should anyone, given how Honda handles this issue
Honda does not cover this past 36k miles unless you live in specific states (like California). Guys at shop know this is a common problem, not only they told me, they had all the required parts in stock. Forums have talked about this since the beginning of times. It seems at first Honda helped pay part or most for those that complained and even produced notices/reports about the issue (these were recalled in 2019). I called Honda to place a claim/complaint, they didnt care much but gave me a claim number for my records.... Good luck if you have this problem, which if you own or buy a pilot you most likely will!!
Had this happen at 35,XXX and again at just shy of 50,XXX. Both times I brought it in and they wanted to replace the FULL set of injectors even though only one tripped the code. That in itself is ridiculous. Paid for the diagnosis both times. Refused replacement. Ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the fuel system and cleared it up both times. Both times I can link back to filling up with gas from a non-chain station. I am looking to dump this vehicle for that and a couple other issues that have never been fixed or acknowledged by the dealer.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I would get a code reader which costs less than $100 and you would save yourself the diagnostic fees that the dealership charges. Also you would know exactly which codes are thrown and be able to reset them. Vehicles today as complex as they are, have pretty good diagnostics built in.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Had this happen at 35,XXX and again at just shy of 50,XXX. Both times I brought it in and they wanted to replace the FULL set of injectors even though only one tripped the code.
Let me guess it was a misfire on #1 cylinder, code P0301 if I am not mistaken

·
Registered
66 Posts
Had this happen at 35,XXX and again at just shy of 50,XXX. Both times I brought it in and they wanted to replace the FULL set of injectors even though only one tripped the code. That in itself is ridiculous. Paid for the diagnosis both times. Refused replacement. Ran a bottle of injector cleaner through the fuel system and cleared it up both times. Both times I can link back to filling up with gas from a non-chain station. I am looking to dump this vehicle for that and a couple other issues that have never been fixed or acknowledged by the dealer.
I'm not sure I'd dump a vehicle for a problem that I had demonstrably addressed twice with a bottle of Techron.

I also don't understand the inclination to use crappy fuel to save a nickel a gallon for a $40k vehicle. I go ahead and use the stations on the Top Tier list. People like to pretend that it means nothing, but I haven't ever had a fuel-related issue, so I'm sticking with the practice.

Dump the cheap fuel, not the vehicle.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Though I do not drive my 2017 Honda Pilot EX-L too much, (approx 12,000 miles) I am really concerned about the dreaded code P0301 “Emission System Problem.” Every 2 or 3 fill ups, I pour 8 oz Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner into the gas tank. I have used this product for over 10 years in my former 2002 Toyota Corolla that had 170,000 miles on it. The check engine light never, NEVER came on in the last 12 years. I sold it last month. 8 months ago I started to use it in the Honda Pilot. I hope to never see the dreaded P0301 code!

Anyway, I buy the Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner by the gallon, from Amazon. I pour approx 8 ounces into the smaller size bottle I bought years ago then pour it into the gas tank. As a note for those who do not know, in the back (inside) of the Pilot is a compartment on the driver's side. Use a straight edge screwdriver, or key to pry it open. Inside is a funnel secured on that door you just took off. To pour additives into the tank, you will need to use this funnel. After I emptied the Fuel Injector Cleaner into the tank, I put the funnel back on the secret compartment door and put it back on the wall for later use. Why the funnel? It will be needed if you want to pour gasoline from a can into the fuel tank, say, when you run out of gas. Who runs out of gas nowadays?

The capless fuel tank is a product of Illinois Tool Works, also known as ITW in case someone is curious about it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
What type of setup are you using to analyze and compare the quality of these two fuels?
We replaced 100's of Catalytic Converters and Chrysler took a large sample back to analyze them. They then went around to many of the stations in the Jefferson County area and took fuel samples. They determined the fuel from our area was causing the converters to stop up and that there was little difference from station to station except for a few additives. Our area was about ten times higher than the rest of the country. There appears to only one supplier in our area that supplies fuel to everyone.

·
Registered
178 Posts
We replaced 100's of Catalytic Converters and Chrysler took a large sample back to analyze them. They then went around to many of the stations in the Jefferson County area and took fuel samples. They determined the fuel from our area was causing the converters to stop up and that there was little difference from station to station except for a few additives. Our area was about ten times higher than the rest of the country. There appears to only one supplier in our area that supplies fuel to everyone.
Many sources confirm that regional refineries sell the same gasoline to different companies who mix in their additive packages and sell it under a specific brand.

On the flip side, grilled chicken doesn't taste very good without some added spices and my grilled chicken will probably taste a lot different than your grilled chicken. ;)

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EXLR
2 Posts
Anyway, I buy the Lucas Fuel Injector Cleaner by the gallon, from Amazon. I pour approx 8 ounces into the smaller size bottle I bought years ago then pour it into the gas tank. As a note for those who do not know, in the back (inside) of the Pilot is a compartment on the driver's side. Use a straight edge screwdriver, or key to pry it open. Inside is a funnel secured on that door you just took off. To pour additives into the tank, you will need to use this funnel.
Can you show a picture of the "compartment"? I can't find it on my 2016 EX L. I do have the same gas tank filler tube.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Can you show a picture of the "compartment"? I can't find it on my 2016 EX L. I do have the same gas tank filler tube.
@gcwhitten I did you better than a photo. I am sending you a whole video....That is NOT me in the video, trust me. Yes, you do have the funnel....Good luck. Yesterday I used the key on my FOB remote to open the compartment.

21 - 40 of 60 Posts