Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve seen this is a recurrent issue and it is not normal. Check engine light came on with the message “Emision System Problem”. My Pilot’s 50k miles. As expected it was the fuel injection system. Had to replace it and pay $1200. Four things:
  • This is happening to a bunch of Pilots and Honda knows and does nothing (just check this forum!)
  • This is NOT a common problem at all in other brands
  • Many brands (have not checked all) consider injectors as part of the engine and are covered by power train warranty, not Honda (cause of some bs about “the injectors sit on top bla bla bla, covered by emissions warranty bla bla bla)
  • Had i known this i wouldnt have bought a pilot and neither should anyone, given how Honda handles this issue
Honda does not cover this past 36k miles unless you live in specific states (like California). Guys at shop know this is a common problem, not only they told me, they had all the required parts in stock. Forums have talked about this since the beginning of times. It seems at first Honda helped pay part or most for those that complained and even produced notices/reports about the issue (these were recalled in 2019). I called Honda to place a claim/complaint, they didnt care much but gave me a claim number for my records.... Good luck if you have this problem, which if you own or buy a pilot you most likely will!!

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
221 Posts
There is no doubt that there are issues with this gen3 direct injection engine judging by the number of posts on this forum but there are also a lot of members with more than 50k on the original injectors. DI engines expose the injectors to the combustion process and are susceptible to carbon buildup on the nozzles. There are a lot of factors that can contribute to this including fuel quality, driving style, VCM operation, engine oil, air filter, PCV carryover and more I am sure. It is pretty easy to blame the manufacturer which in this case is Keihin who makes them for Honda. I am surprised that more owners don't try cleaning them instead of replacing them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
there are also a lot of members with more than 50k on the original injectors.
Hondamon -

I'm not the original poster here, but am following with very-high interest as I also have a 2017 with 46k miles. Based on your post, I'm assuming that you have not replaced your injectors yet on your 16' EX-L.
Question - how many miles do you have on your 16' Pilot?
Question - if you have replaced your injectors - at what odometer mileage was that?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks!
Brad

·
Registered
80 Posts
This doesn't surprise me. Mine went out at 30,000 miles. Thankfully warranty covered it, no questions asked.

I am really beginning to wonder if I bought the right vehicle to haul my family around in.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hondamon -

Question - how many miles do you have on your 16' Pilot?
Question - if you have replaced your injectors - at what odometer mileage was that?

Looking forward to hearing back.

Thanks!
Brad
I have 56k on my Pilot and so far it is running great on the original injectors

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have 56k on my Pilot and so far it is running great on the original injectors
Hondamon - Thanks for that. Before my 17' Touring AWD, I also had a 16' EX-L AWD. We did have to have the injectors replaced under warranty at 22,766 (I just pulled up the service ticket). I purchased both of the Pilots new. I have easy access to top tier gasoline and have never put anything else in the tank. So, fuel quality wasn't an issue on my 16'. The injectors simply failed at a very young age.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm really beginning to wonder if the injectors are really failing or that they are just getting clogged with carbon. A set of injectors costs less than $300 so it is probably just as easy to replace them as it is to clean them.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm really beginning to wonder if the injectors are really failing or that they are just getting clogged with carbon.
Hondamon - shouldn't top tier fuel minimize carbon build-up? My injector replacement at 22.7k miles would be due to some other malfunction.

·
Registered
175 Posts
  • This is happening to a bunch of Pilots and Honda knows and does nothing (just check this forum!)
...And Ridgelines!

It seems at first Honda helped pay part or most for those that complained and even produced notices/reports about the issue (these were recalled in 2019).
There's never been a recall on the injectors. There is a TSB on the injectors (18-025) that applies to 2016-2018 and some 2019 Pilots.

According to Honda, "Debris from the high pressure pump or the fuel injector machining process can cause internal wear or clogging inside the injector."

Nothing you pour into the fuel tank or run through the injectors will dissolve metal shavings that clog an injector or reverse wear caused by the abrasion of metal shavings.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Hondamon - shouldn't top tier fuel minimize carbon build-up? My injector replacement at 22.7k miles would be due to some other malfunction.
Yes, top tier 87 octane fuel should contain enough detergents to keep injector nozzles clean in these engines. Possibly your issue with the 2016 could have been related to that early batch of defective injectors but Honda now has a new updated part number on the replacement injectors. I don't know if the injector design has actually changed or if it was just an updated part number though.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
714 Posts
I don’t understand blaming people for not using top tier gas, disabling VCM, etc. Injectors shouldn’t fail and certainly not at 50k miles.

I shouldn’t have to baby my car to make up for the manufacturers mistake. There are quite a few things like this with Pilots. Makes me think they aren’t as reliable as they’re made out to be.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I shouldn’t have to baby my car to make up for the manufacturers mistake. There are quite a few things like this with Pilots. Makes me think they aren’t as reliable as they’re made out to be.
Some variation of this same statement is made at least weekly, if not daily, on nearly every car forum on the internet.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don’t understand blaming people for not using top tier gas, disabling VCM, etc. Injectors shouldn’t fail and certainly not at 50k miles.

I think I babied my pilot for the first 30,000 miles, (no hard accelaration, easy on brakes) but then the injectors go out and I eventually need new brakes, so I am not going to take it easy on the pilot anymore. I am at 50,000 miles and no issues with the replacement injectors yet.

·
Registered
221 Posts
No reason to baby it once it is broken in. I think if you floor it once in a while you will burn off that carbon on the injectors

·
Registered
175 Posts

Consumer Reports' ratings for Honda used to be sea of green like Toyota. Honda admitted there's a problem, but it could take years to dig themselves out and I'm fearful that their alliance with GM is going to make things worse.

Highlander

Pilot

·
Registered
221 Posts
I still find it hard to believe that all these injector issues are related to metal particles and I think that Honda is just using it as an easy excuse. The injectors are manufactured by Keihin for Honda so it is easier for them to blame someone else for a flawed design. A few here have replaced injectors themselves and noted the excess carbon buildup on the injector nozzles especially #1 cylinder which is part of bank1 which is the bank disabled by the VCM. It would be great if someone here could take apart an old #1cyl injector and inspect it for metal particles.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts