Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Honda Pilot EX-L AWD Black
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just curious what you put in your Pilot as far as fuel grade, where you typically get fuel (if you have a preferred station) and what year your pilot is.

·
Registered
442 Posts
There is a poll on this in another thread:

Most people don't bother looking for top tier gas with the extra additives it comes with. I do now, after having my injectors done under warranty. I'll do a bottle of Techron every oil change too.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a poll on this in another thread:

Most people don't bother looking for top tier gas with the extra additives it comes with. I do now, after having my injectors done under warranty. I'll do a bottle of Techron every oil change too.
Thats why I was asking.. had my injectors done and may again...

·
Registered
Traded Pilot for Highlander
265 Posts
Mine is a 2018 and I use 87 from Kroger or Mobil. Those two simply because of location to my house. I definitely don’t go out of my way for a particular fuel brand.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Our vehicles are designed to run on 87 octane fuel. Higher octane can be beneficial for when your towing or loaded down. Top tier fuel provides additives to help keep the fuel system and combustion chamber clean. If using unbranded gasoline, use fuel injector cleaner. Chevron Techron and Lucas seem to be popular.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Our vehicles are designed to run on 87 octane fuel. Higher octane can be beneficial for when your towing or loaded down. Top tier fuel provides additives to help keep the fuel system and combustion chamber clean. If using unbranded gasoline, use fuel injector cleaner. Chevron Techron and Lucas seem to be popular.
I typically do Marathon or BP for gas... sometimes speedway or sheets. Always 87.

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Thats why I was asking.. had my injectors done and may again...
If cost is not a factor and you want the highest available detergent content, get Shell V-Power NiTRO+ Premium.
It has about three times the detergent concentration of that required to meet top tier fuel requirements and about seven times the federally mandated minimum.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
ExxonMobil 93 or Shell 93

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I use Shell most of the time, Wawa or Royal Farms if I happen to need a fillup in the vehicle and the belly at the same time. The Shell is right across the street from my neighborhood, so while it is not the cheapest gas around it is the most convenient. Regular for the Traverse, Sonata and Pilot. Premium for the Impala and the lawn equipment, snowblower and generator.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I use Shell most of the time, Wawa or Royal Farms if I happen to need a fillup in the vehicle and the belly at the same time. The Shell is right across the street from my neighborhood, so while it is not the cheapest gas around it is the most convenient. Regular for the Traverse, Sonata and Pilot. Premium for the Impala and the lawn equipment, snowblower and generator.
Same. 93 makes a big difference in how my lawn equipment performs. I'll pull my vehicle up to the pumps and pull out my two gas cans. One with a bottle of 2 cycle oil already poured in. To insure pure 93 is going into my cans, I'll pump a couple of gallons of fuel into my vehicle 1st, to purge any 87 that may still be in the hose. Call me crazy.

Reactions: cintocrunch

·
Registered
9,770 Posts
Same. 93 makes a big difference in how my lawn equipment performs. I'll pull my vehicle up to the pumps and pull out my two gas cans. One with a bottle of 2 cycle oil already poured in. To insure pure 93 is going into my cans, I'll pump a couple of gallons of fuel into my vehicle 1st, to purge any 87 that may still be in the hose. Call me crazy.
Can't pass this one up - you're crazy.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
OK, 1st tangent here.
I know what you say is true, it's recommended to increase the Octane w/ more load like towing with the Pilot.
Question is:
Is this because the 'knock sensor' could detect a pre-detonation and increase the timing slightly?
And if not, why would the extra octane make a difference.
Enquiring minds want to know!

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
ExxonMobil 93 or Shell 93
Are you towing all the time? Wow, throwing money into the wind! Higher octane does not mean more power, actually could be contrary.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
I now go for Top Tier Gas (this last year anyways.)

Kwik Trips, BP, etc.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts