Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I fill the gas tank up, the gas gauge will stay at full for a few days (not normal, with my lengthy commute).

I've been noticing that, after this period of time, the gauge will return to a more "normal" level......I've even noticed it has dropped down while driving.

I will continue to monitor it, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Pilot-1 said:
When I fill the gas tank up, the gas gauge will stay at full for a few days (not normal, with my lengthy commute).

I've been noticing that, after this period of time, the gauge will return to a more "normal" level......I've even noticed it has dropped down while driving.

I will continue to monitor it, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them?
Sounds like a bad sender. :rolleyes:
Unfortunatly it is part of the pump assembly. :eek:
Fourtunatly it is new and the warrenty is in effect! :2:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Also take note of your driving conditions while the gauge is "mis-reporting" the fuel level..

Honda fuel guages are ultra-sensitive and mis-interpet fuel guage readings on turns, hills,etc...

you want to make sure it's not your driving habits that may be displaying an incorrect reading...

·
Registered
39 Posts
mine too i think...

when I fill up, particularly if I top it off, my fuel gauge will stay at max (above F) for about 50 or 60 miles, then seems to drain down rather quickly. it will be at half tank another 100 or so miles (160-180 miles on half tank).

Is this similar to what you are seeing?

·
Registered
7,953 Posts
if you have driven enough (say 3 to 4 gallons worth) and its still up there....take it to the dealer

best of luck :D

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: mine too i think...

rock said:
when I fill up, particularly if I top it off, my fuel gauge will stay at max (above F) for about 50 or 60 miles, then seems to drain down rather quickly. it will be at half tank another 100 or so miles (160-180 miles on half tank).

Is this similar to what you are seeing?

Yes mine goes down quick too, but maybe not as quick as yours. It's like it'll be at full, then before I know it the gauge drops between 3/4 and full, and the consumption after that seems relatively normal. And this is all without using the a/c or heater.

BreakStuff, this is in normal driving conditions on relatively flat road. :(

It's not due for another oil change for 2K miles, so I'll have plenty of time to monitor it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
SteveLuman said:
Get it fixed while it just bothers you. Don't wait until it really pisses you off.
Or do like me and guess that your getting 20mpg like a lot of posters in here and actually get 15.5 mpg with your new (used) car and run out of gas when the gauge reads 1/4 tank full. I just bought our 2003 pilot last week and already ran out of gas driving it today with exactly a quarter tank showing on the gauge. What's up with that??? The gauge displayed a lot of the same behaviors I have read about here. i.e. driving about 120 miles before it came off of full, but I didn't see a single post of people experiencing what happened to me. It was weird too acted like a bad air filter or environmental system. Kept losing power for about 12 miles finally wouldnt stay running at idle. Before that ( when it wouldnt run at all) it ran fine at idle but just lacked power on the freeway at first then on the surface roads. The truck took 18.1 gallons to fill and had traveled 285 miles. A lot worse economy than I was expecting since reading all the posts of the 18mpg plus crowd. And I had no idea the gauge was wrong at the bottom of the scale as well as the top. I had never seen that before on any car. It is not too uncommon for tanks to read near full after using 3-5 gallons. It is rather rare for a guage to go down to .25 full and actually be empty.... to me at least!!!

I do drive over 80 on the freeway though and it is all freeway mileage. My 2003 CRV got 21.5 mpg for the same type (speed) of driving. How does anyone get 23 or 24 miles a gallon in a pilot? Don't you have somewhere to be????:rolleyes:

·
Registered
656 Posts
...By driving slower. One must take into account the aerodynamics or lack thereof of the Pilot. 65 delivers decent mileage. 70 begins to show a decrease. 75 even more decrease and at 80 and over, gas mileage really sucks.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
akosht said:

. How does anyone get 23 or 24 miles a gallon in a pilot?
Don't know. The best we've ever been able to get on the highway is 21 mpg while driving in an mpg conscious manner at the speed limit. Best city is 15 mpg. Typicals are 14 and 20 mpg.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Gas Gauge quirk

My gauge isn't the most accurate either. On my '05 EX-L, it will stay at full for the first 50 to 75 miles, then drop through 1/2 and stay around there, or between 1/4 and 1/2 full, for the next 200 miles or so. When the yellow gas warning light comes on, there's usually less than a gallon left in the tank, or enough to go 17-22 miles. I find it easier to go by the odometer. When full, I set trip A to zero and when I get above 320 miles or so, it's time to look for a gas station. I thought it was just the gauge's quirk and don't worry about it too much, and lukcily have never run out.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
After a good top-off, my gas gauge will stay pretty much pinned above F for the first 30-40 miles, or until I shut off the ignition and the gauge returns to zero. The next time I start, it will not quite return to the same level.

·
Registered
2 Posts
In the mountains this weekend and hit a rock in the road. Bent the tank cover Fwd brace and damaged cover shield. fuel pump working no running issue yet but fuel gauge stuck at 1/2" tank.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts