Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel gauge of 2003 pilot the fuel gauge was acting up for a while, sometimes when I turn the ignition on it would not move, turn the ignition on off it would move to correct reading, now is totally dead. I identified the wire coming from fuel pump to the driver side kick panel (yellow/blue pin 17) the resistance to ground reads open, knowing that I have half tank of gas it should read between 50-60 Ohms according to the manual. It looks to me the problem is in the fuel pump. I am planning to remove the driver side back row seat to access the fuel pump wiring and connectors. I am wondering if you have any suggestions or dealt with this problem before. Thanks

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,443 Posts
If you are going there, do it outside in a well ventilated space with little fuel in tank and battery disconnected.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rocky, I have replace the fuel pump before, but thanks for your great advise , I will take necessary precautions , I know a guy who lost his car, his other car and everything in his garage due to fire when he was changing the fuel pump. I hope I don't have to change the fuel pump because of failing metering system , $375. May be it is only a bed connection.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
How did you fix the bad connection?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just unplugged the connector, cleaned the pins with electrical contact cleaner , then packed the connector with electrical grease. (both purchased from Autozone) . For some reason Honda did not packed the connectors with contact grease, may be that is why overtime they lose contact.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello sir. I have same issue. Where is this connector at exactly? please let me know. I’m at 8563710480 my cell. Thnx in advance
driver side
Hello sir. I have same issue. Where is this connector at exactly? please let me know. I’m at 8563710480 my cell. Thnx in advance
The plug is under the middle back seat on the driver's side. the seat right behind the driver, you have to cut the floor carpet as it is outlined by alternate cuts. my Problem has returned as I stated in my original post but I have noticed as the cabin gets warm the fuel gauge starts to work normall.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
Do you regularly top off your tank so as to keep it always near full? Or alternatively, do you regularly leave the tank near empty (with the little orange low fuel light on)?

Just remembering on a previous vehicle I'd often drive on fumes when I was a poor student, the "floater arm" inside the take didn't get a chance to swing up and down its full range and eventually stuck in place.

On another former vehicle, though, it was indeed a faulty electrical connection.

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,373 Posts
Do you regularly top off your tank so as to keep it always near full? Or alternatively, do you regularly let the tank go down to near empty (with the little orange low fuel light on)?

Just remembering on a previous vehicle I'd often drive on fumes when I was a poor student, the "floater arm" inside the take didn't get a chance to swing up and down its full range and eventually stuck in place.

On another former vehicle, though, it was indeed a faulty electrical connection.
Very good point.
Causing the "floater arm" travel the full distance by filling up when near empty theoretically help prevent it from sticking in one place. Maybe too, a more of a cold temperature problem.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
5,105 Posts
Very good point.
Causing the "floater arm" travel the full distance by filling up when near empty theoretically help prevent it from sticking in one place. Maybe too, a more of a cold temperature problem.
You know what they say, if you don't use it, you loose it.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,863 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts