Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know where the fuel filter is located on the 2009-2015 Pilot? I'm going to be hitting 100,000 miles soon and wanted to replace it as part of the next maintenance interval.
Thank you

·
Registered
604 Posts
In the fuel tank. Suction side of the pump. You do not service this unless your pump is being replaced.

Reactions: Tahoefever

·
Registered
2015 Honda Pilot Ex-l 4wd modern steel metallic
107 Posts
I came here looking for location. So it doesn't get replaced unless fuel pump is replaced? I thought maybe fuel filter might be reason for loss of acceleration.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
I came here looking for location. So it doesn't get replaced unless fuel pump is replaced? I thought maybe fuel filter might be reason for loss of acceleration.
Yep, fuel filter and pump, all one unit in the tank.
What's your milage?

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
It's possible to change the fuel filter screen separately, after removing the tank and the fuel tank insert assembly. That assembly fits in a reservoir that drops into the tank, and includes the filter, which may be better described as a suction strainer. It also includes the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel tank level sender. The electrical portion is easy to disconnect, plus you'll disconnect the fuel pressure line to the engine and the filler pipe assembly as part of the tank removal. Run the tank as close to empty as you can, so you aren't wrestling a lot of sloshing fuel and weight as you drop the tank.

The WSM suggests that you diagnose possible strainer issues by first checking the fuel pressure at the engine. A partially-blocked strainer affects both the pressure and volume of fuel delivered to the engine, so a valid filter check via the pressure will need to be done with engine at load rather than just at idle.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
I've got 267k miles on a 2012 V6 with the original fuel pump/ fuel filter. Unless someone played a mean trick and put dirt in your tank, I'd say your filter is probably fine at 148k. I'd look elsewhere 1st.

·
Registered
107 Posts
So got in it to go home and it said check fuel cap. I checked it and pulled it off and Re did it. Turned car back on and it said it again. Looked underneath there is a spot dripping but it doesn't smell like gas. I think it's water. I'm attaching a pic. Is it possible if someone tries to cyphone gas it would say that? What else should I check it doesn't seem to be the gas cap?

·
Registered
107 Posts
It's possible to change the fuel filter screen separately, after removing the tank and the fuel tank insert assembly. That assembly fits in a reservoir that drops into the tank, and includes the filter, which may be better described as a suction strainer. It also includes the fuel pump, the fuel pressure regulator, and the fuel tank level sender. The electrical portion is easy to disconnect, plus you'll disconnect the fuel pressure line to the engine and the filler pipe assembly as part of the tank removal. Run the tank as close to empty as you can, so you aren't wrestling a lot of sloshing fuel and weight as you drop the tank.

The WSM suggests that you diagnose possible strainer issues by first checking the fuel pressure at the engine. A partially-blocked strainer affects both the pressure and volume of fuel delivered to the engine, so a valid filter check via the pressure will need to be done with engine at load rather than just at idle.
So I just read your reply. And things you said in it made me think. The fuel level has been kinda wonky. Like all over the place it will say one thing then drop 50 gallons off the level then go back up. And now that I've got the fuel cap message which when I Google it, it says it has to do with the pressure.
Can you direct me what to do. Seems like a possible bring it to a shop and have them check pressure(check gas cap light)

·
Registered
107 Posts

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,975 Posts
So got in it to go home and it said check fuel cap. I checked it and pulled it off and Re did it. Turned car back on and it said it again. Looked underneath there is a spot dripping but it doesn't smell like gas. I think it's water. I'm attaching a pic. Is it possible if someone tries to cyphone gas it would say that? What else should I check it doesn't seem to be the gas cap? View attachment 148821
Once you get a fuel cap message it will take several starts before the message goes away. The system checks itself every time the vehicle is started. It will not clear the message on the first start after tightening the fuel cap.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
So got in it to go home and it said check fuel cap. I checked it and pulled it off and Re did it. Turned car back on and it said it again. Looked underneath there is a spot dripping but it doesn't smell like gas. I think it's water. I'm attaching a pic. Is it possible if someone tries to cyphone gas it would say that? What else should I check it doesn't seem to be the gas cap? View attachment 148821
That drip of water looks like a water drain tube.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
So I just read your reply. And things you said in it made me think. The fuel level has been kinda wonky. Like all over the place it will say one thing then drop 50 gallons off the level then go back up. And now that I've got the fuel cap message which when I Google it, it says it has to do with the pressure.
Can you direct me what to do. Seems like a possible bring it to a shop and have them check pressure(check gas cap light)
Drive the car for a week, fuel cap tight, and the message will clear itself. It takes a few drives and tank pressure cycles for that alarm to reset.

I'm not sure I understand your "drop 50 miles off the level then go back up." description. Are you looking at remaining-miles on the MFD or the trip computer? If so, know that it recalculates those miles based on your calculated average fuel mileage and what it sees as tank level, and I think it displays a recalculated number at each startup too. As interesting as that number is, it's just a best-guess based on remaining fuel in the tank and how it thinks you are driving. It also looks at how many miles you drove the last tankful. If I'm long-hauling it somewhere, I can force the tank to a bit overfull, at least compared with first-click shutoff, to reduce the number of fuel stops. I can average 22-25 MPG driving carefully, and the next tank fill pops up a 600+ mile remaining distance, so long as I put in enough fuel to get the sender to max out, which a first-click fill-up will do. The calculated number corrects itself a lot once the sender no longer shows the tank is full. The remaining range gets more realistic again.

My better estimate of remaining fuel range is that I can get 400 miles per tank in my average driving, filling it to the first click. Roughly 100 miles per quarter tank -- a little more for the "top" quarter, a little less for the last one, at least per the level reading. Is there more under the Empty reading? I hope not to find out.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
That drip of water looks like a water drain tube.
It is exactly that. It's the condensate drain tube from the middle console evaporator. Cute little duck-bill thing keeps insects from wandering up in there to build a home, yet allow the condensate to dribble out.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I'm a bit of an overthinker, sorry.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I will say though, last fill up I turned the cap tight, always do. So if it was loose, my thought was someone was trying to siphon gas. It also didn't give me the message on the ride to work.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Thank you all for your advice. I really appreciate it. I'm a bit of an overthinker, sorry.
I wouldn't say your overthinking. The gas cap can be an issue. Also be careful not to top off the fuel tank. This can cause fuel to go into the evap system and the system will not function properly. A new OEM gas cap may be needed if the code remains.
How's the rest of the maintenance under the hood? Air filter, clean MAF, spark plugs, PCV valve. Etc
Any thoughts on disabling the VCM?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Safe to say if it was more than gas cap then the check engine light would be on right?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Rest looks good. Just had power steering ATF and differential fluid change. I think the vcm muzzle is working good. At least it's given me a piece of mind. Gonna get a inspection on it before going on road trip. Not sure if it tire noise or a Honda engine thing as I'm used to a kia sportage but there what I would describe as a whine when driving. Air filters just changed.

·
Registered
11,779 Posts
Safe to say if it was more than gas cap then the check engine light would be on right?
Not always.
A dirty MAF can lay undetected causing fuel/air mixture problems and poor fuel economy.
A clogged PCV can cause fuel air mixture to be off as well.
Considering the millage and age of the vehicle, these need attention. These are small DIY maintanance projects we can do to help our engine run better.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts