Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 Pilot EX-L and the fuel door release is not working. It looks like I need a fuel filler cable (Part 74411-SZA-A02) but Honda has discontinued that part. I have had no luck finding that part online or local dealers. It is critical as I can't really open the fuel door without this part.
I find it pretty incredulous that Honda would stop manufacturing a somewhat critical part for a fairly recent model.

- What have others done when searching for discontinued parts?
Also curious what would happen if I had the Honda extended warranty.. do they reserve parts for that?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
View attachment 149284
They say it's available.
Yes - many sites say the same thing.. but it really is not available. I placed orders at several, which the sites wind up cancelling once they realized the part was not available. I also called dealers and Honda directly.
Since many of the Honda part sites all seem to have the same interface, I believe they are just store fronts for drop shipping direct from Honda. I do not believe they maintain their own inventory.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,336 Posts
So what’s going on with the cable? I’m not recalling any prior events

·
Registered
750 Posts
I show it as back ordered not discontinued, pm your vin and I'll vin check tomorrow at work. I have limited access to Honda on my phone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what’s going on with the cable? I’m not recalling any prior events
When I pull the lever to open the fuel fill door, the cable moves, but the retractable rod that holds the fuel door shut does not retract. The retractable rod moves freely when I push it by hand. It looks like that rod got disconnected from the cable with no way to reattach. I disassembled the interior to get access to the whole cable but now find out the part is discontinued and I have no luck finding any in existing inventory.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I show it as back ordered not discontinued, pm your vin and I'll vin check tomorrow at work. I have limited access to Honda on my phone.
PM sent. I am basing the discontinued as told to me from Honda directly and also from Conicelli Honda.
Hope that is bad info and the part will be stocked soon.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
View attachment 149299
All of these dealers have one in stock. It's on back order with a release date of 6-30. If your dealer orders it under cbo, you might get it sooner.
Oh wow.. Thank you so much! I will get to calling. Not sure why Honda gave me the bad info and got me worked up. They said they could find no inventory at dealers. I really appreciate this!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
2014 seems a little earlier to see discontinued parts... maybe revised parts using a new part number.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good help is hard to find unfortunately 😕
Just to follow up.... I was able to order the part from one of the dealers you listed. Everything is put back together and operational again.
Thank you once again for the help.

·
Registered
9,793 Posts
View attachment 149299
All of these dealers have one in stock. It's on back order with a release date of 6-30. If your dealer orders it under cbo, you might get it sooner.
For parts that are on backorder, is it not a typical procedure for one Honda dealer to try to locate that part and order it from another Honda dealer?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Nope, we pay have to pay markup on dealer to dealer purchase. If the customer asks then it's explained that the cost will be more then retail. We cbo it, then Honda finds a dealer with it and gets it to us at our normal cost.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts