Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to trouble shoot the following and was wondering if any others have the same issue. My front windshield washer is not spraying nor is the pump kicking in, however the rear is working fine. Clearly it's not the pump itself so not sure where else the problem may exist. Any thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Trying to trouble shoot the following and was wondering if any others have the same issue. My front windshield washer is not spraying nor is the pump kicking in, however the rear is working fine. Clearly it's not the pump itself so not sure where else the problem may exist. Any thoughts/opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
It's likely the switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks - would it be the switch if the wipers themselves were working and the rear wiper and spray are working? Silly question but is there one pump for both the front and rear spray? Just thinking out loud but if so the rear could be find and the front broken (if it exists). Thanks.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Thanks - would it be the switch if the wipers themselves were working and the rear wiper and spray are working? Silly question but is there one pump for both the front and rear spray? Just thinking out loud but if so the rear could be find and the front broken (if it exists). Thanks.
Sorry. It very well could be a pump or a connection. There are 2.

Simply check and see if the pump not working is getting power when the switch is on.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
After you determine that the pump(s) are functional then take a look at the lines as there may be a clog.

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
After you determine that the pump(s) are functional then take a look at the lines as there may be a clog.
Will this cause the pump to not come on? OP says he hears nothing.

·
Administrator
2016 CRV Touring AWD, 2005 Pilot RIP.
16,324 Posts
Happened once after a critter decided to burrow under hood insulation and eat the washer tubing. Easy fix.

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Not sure if there is a dedicated fuse for the front pump, but might check for that as well.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm going to assume the pump is done - no noise at all when it is 'turned on'. In the interim I was able to break where the nozzle connects to the line on the hood itself when attempting to see if there may have been some sort of block. I guess that will be repair #2 once I replace the pump :-(

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
I'm going to assume the pump is done - no noise at all when it is 'turned on'. In the interim I was able to break where the nozzle connects to the line on the hood itself when attempting to see if there may have been some sort of block. I guess that will be repair #2 once I replace the pump :-(
Hopefully that's it and not the switch. You could always test to see if your getting power. If the connectors are the same for both pumps might plug the working pump into the other connector and test the power that way if you don't have an Ohm meter.

Reactions: road2cycle

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,179 Posts
Also plug in rear’s connector into front pump to check if the front pump turns on or not.

Reactions: PHM and Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,413 Posts
Thanks gents - didn't think of the rear pump/front pump swap. In theory I could always swap out pumps on that I use my rear washer probably twice a year :)
Lol, ya but.. ok, good plan 😁

·
Registered
2008 Pilot EX-L
354 Posts
The rear pump won’t be used as much as the front pump but I tend to use rear pump on the road for road debris, dusting, pollen and bird crap. But it’s definitely used less between the two.
I do not drive the Honda, so I never knew it was needed.
I never look out of rear window anyway, the outside mirrors is all I use.
Just habit from driving truck, we have no back windows, just mirrors.
I will ask my wife if she uses the rear pump.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just assumed you could just change one connection to the other, without pulling the pumps.
Does anyone even use the rear pump.
True but it would take me years of practice to remember that turning on the rear washer will spray the front windshield. I will do an interim swap and then replace the rear in due course (before the snow starts flying!!!).

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
I will do an interim swap and then replace the rear in due course (before the snow starts flying!!!).
The real white snow stuff or the shitstorm that tends to start here with Sumo tires or MaxLife or retightening a filter to mention a few....:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Front now working like a charm - other than the washer fluid spraying everywhere as I broke the passenger nozzle while trouble shooting. So a few hours later and I'm not without front or rear washers :) I'm guessing nozzle is a dealership item vs over the counter? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts