Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've noticed on my 2013 Honda pilot EXL that my front tires are starting to feather on the outsides some. I just put all new suspension components on and new tires less than 5000 miles ago with an alignment, I jacked up one side and I could feel some side to side play almost like it was a inner tie rod end, but I replaced all of that already. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I have around 157 K miles. Is this a steering rack issue?

·
Banned
379 Posts
Did you do the work? Who did the alignment? Sounds like a toe issue. I'd have the alignment checked at a different shop

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
The feathering is an alignment issue. If it were on the inside, I'd be looking hard at the shocks/dampers too. There isn't anything in the rack itself that will cause outer-edge feathering, but worn inner tie rods will. If you replaced just the outer section, the "tie rod ends", you missed half of the wear parts. The tie rods (not the "tie rod ends") screw into the end of the moving part of the steering "rack", the part that moves side to side inside the tube.

The alignment tech should be checking for play in those and the ends.

Did you loosen the bolts that clamp the shock tube/strut section into the spindle? If so, the camber needs to be adjusted as part of your alignment. Look hard at the alignment report to verify that the two sides are the same and correct. Caster (not real easily adjustable) and camber (those clamp bolts and a mallette) are sometime counter-adjusted to correct out a related setting that's off. Telltale is seeing differences between left and right settings. The factory gives an acceptable range (beyond which they are responsible during warranty) but the left and right settings need to be identical or really close. The two sides can be "in spec" but far apart, and that's not good.

Last but not least, excessive toe-in can result in outside rib wear, but seldom causes feathering except as an early symptom with new tires. It escalates to a worn outside rib in a very short time.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I replaced everything on the front suspension except the struts and wheel bearings and a arms ball joints

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
So what did you actually replace in the suspension and steering? Candidates: The strut cartridges, ball joints, control arm bushings including the compliance bushings, the inner and outer tie rods, the springs. Driveline components include the halfshafts with CV joints and boots, plus the wheel bearing; none of those cause tire wear you describe.

Can you post a pic of the alignment sheet?

Reactions: mattman92

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Strut cartridges, strut mounts, that was a year ago now strut bearings are popping. Replaced inner and outer tie rod ends, stabilizer bar bushings and end links less than 4 months ago.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts