Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EX - Taffeta White
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could use some post hoc troubleshooting from anyone who’s done the front sway bar bushings.

Job is done, but it was a looong day, and not for the typical reason (that pesky rear drivers side bolt, which gave way slowly but surely with the recommended offset box wrench). No, what destroyed me was getting the new bushings on, the brackets on those, and, most impossibly, getting those brackets pushed down enough to thread the bolts back in.

Having watched some YouTube videos, it seems like the issue is that my sway bar didn’t, er, sway:) Or move. At all. I wedged the old bushings out without the sway bar budging, and the only way it moved was with some serious prying. It seems like there should have been a little play/movement though? Which would have enable us to more easily wedge in the new bushings and potentially get the brackets better aligned?

The vehicle was on stands at the pinch welds, I doubt that wouldve impacted things? I dunno - I am/was thoroughly flummoxed. I had geared up for the removal being the hard part! That was a comparative breeze, everything off in probably 30 minutes incl setup. But, man, it all went south thereafter.

Eventually was able to pry the brackets down enough to just get the bolts started with hand threading and finished them off from there. Test drive was good, no weird handling, think we’re ok. I’m just, again, so confused about where I went wrong // I need to figure this out to begin to exorcise the demons:)

Cheers!

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,193 Posts
OK, here's my Monday morning quarterback take, FWIW.

Barring (lol) that your sway bars are not seized or rusted into immobility...

Are you absolutely sure you used the correct sway bar bushings (or brackets, if you didn't reuse) for the front, since they have a slightly larger inner diameter than the ones for the back? They look almost the same to the naked eye, To make matters worse, the Honda part number for the front sway bar bushings differs from the part number for the rear sway bar bushings by only one digit in the middle.

Easy to replace front sway bar bushings?

·
Registered
570 Posts
I greased my new bushings inside and out before installing to make lateral movement easier. I could just push it around with a screwdriver to get it aligned.

Not sure if this was the problem, and plplpl's advice sounds more practical, but maybe every little bit helps.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
This stuff for rubber.

Wal-Mart for the cheapest price.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I greased my new bushings inside and out before installing to make lateral movement easier. I could just push it around with a screwdriver to get it aligned.

Not sure if this was the problem, and plplpl's advice sounds more practical, but maybe every little bit helps.
Hope you used silicone grease ... petroleum grease will deteriorate rubber.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Having watched some YouTube videos, it seems like the issue is that my sway bar didn’t, er, sway:) Or move. At all. I wedged the old bushings out without the sway bar budging, and the only way it moved was with some serious prying. It seems like there should have been a little play/movement though?
That sway bar is designed to control the motions of a 2 ton plus vehicle. It' not likely that it would move much when pulling on it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK, here's my Monday morning quarterback take, FWIW.

Barring (lol) that your sway bars are not seized or rusted into immobility...

Are you absolutely sure you used the correct sway bar bushings (or brackets, if you didn't reuse) for the front, since they have a slightly larger inner diameter than the ones for the back? They look almost the same to the naked eye, To make matters worse, the Honda part number for the front sway bar bushings differs from the part number for the rear sway bar bushings by only one digit in the middle. View attachment 143471

Easy to replace front sway bar bushings?
Good questions! Rust not an issue, desert driver for its lifespan. And bolts came loose quite easily after a quick soak of penetrating oil. I reused the brackets, so don't think that was the issue (although, again, watching videos I'm stunned at how most peoples' brackets fit back so closely to the frame/bolt holes -- mine were SO far away, and it was only wiht all that prying that I eventually could get the bolts to finally thread). Also went back out last night to double check the Moog part # and it was, indeed, the K201620 which shows as compatible with a 2007 2WD.

I actually tore the old bushings prying them out, space was so tight, so it wasn't surprising the new ones were a beast -- it just seems like something in the sway bar or geometry or something in my situation was off, else I can't figure out why everyone else had no troubles re-installing haha!

Body aching for my troubles this morning, no less. Auto work truly is love/hate:)

·
Registered
312 Posts
I ran into this once and the bushings were the wrong size. They have a size embossed into them. I can’t remember off the top of my head but the ones I took off were like 22 and the new ones were 23. I did not catch it until I started to put the bracket on a realized there was no way. They were also loose on the bar. I pulled the bushing back off the bar and that was when I saw it was the wrong size. I reordered the Honda ones and redid it the next weekend.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
lso went back out last night to double check the Moog part # and it was, indeed, the K201620 which shows as compatible with a 2007 2WD.
I ran into this once and the bushings were the wrong size. They have a size embossed into them. I can’t remember off the top of my head but the ones I took off were like 22 and the new ones were 23. I did not catch it until I started to put the bracket on a realized there was no way. They were also loose on the bar. I pulled the bushing back off the bar and that was when I saw it was the wrong size. I reordered the Honda ones and redid it the next weekend.
And, as mentioned, different size for front and rear, with a part number that differs between the two by only one digit. Did you check your part number on your order and receipt, the package you received, the size embossed on the part itself, or all of those? Sometimes the guys in the shipping department mess up.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Hope you used silicone grease ... petroleum grease will deteriorate rubber.
That's absolutely correct.

However, on a 16 year old car, installing $10.00 worth of rubber, I embraced my inner wild-person and dipped my finger in the grease tub I already had lying open beside me. Gotta take a big risk every now and then, I think.

Happy new year to all. It's a pleasure to participate in a community as useful as this one is to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And, as mentioned, different size for front and rear, with a part number that differs between the two by only one digit. Did you check your part number on your order and receipt, the package you received, the size embossed on the part itself, or all of those? Sometimes the guys in the shipping department mess up.
For me they shipped the wrong one and I did not catch it until I was under the car... I know better:cautious:
It's a fair question that I sadly won't be able to 100% answer at this point with the bushings now in. The order/invoice and box all matched the correct part #, but I didn't check the bushings themselves. Don't know if I have the chutzpah to take those brackets off next time I have the wheel off haha.

I'm still a bit confused on why the old bushings were so wedged in there too, to the point I could remove without breaking them into pieces. Still just seems like there should've been a little more space to work with, but...alas.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
From experience with sway bar bushings or a great idea that popped into your head?

I've sprayed all my rubber and plastic suspension parts, including sway bar bushings, with AT-205 à la Scotty Kilmer.

·
Registered
10,193 Posts
I would guess, and I'm sure you won't fail to oppugn-query
if you feel I may be wrong, that they're pretty similar, being silicone sprays, whereas AT-205 is a polymer with plasticizers that will actually rejuvenate rubber, rather than just coat it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts