Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 EX-L AWD
Anyone have a good source for replacing front struts? I have both front struts leaking oil pretty badly and the quote I got from a BigO Tire is over $1,000 to buy and install the 2 front struts.

TIA.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
The manual in the "sticky" section shows how to remove the strut/spring assembly. Not sure why it shows disconnecting the lower ball joint and sliding the knuckle out of the way unless there isn't clearance to get the strut assembly out.

Usually on this type of suspension, you just have to remove the pinch bolt, remove the sway bar link and ABS wire attachment, then remove the three nuts at the top. Then you pry the A-arm down and slid the strut out of the knuckle. Hardest part is usually the silly internal hex arrangement on the sway bar end.

But maybe there is more to it and the knuckle does need to swing out of the way. Others on the board may know.

Attachments

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I really appreciate the info guys! It seems like about every month I'm dropping money into this car for something... at 75k miles I wasn't expecting to have to do both front struts - I'm actually scared to look at the back ones!!! I really hope it's just the 2 - that's expensive enough... I might try to do this job myself but I may just throw in the towel and take it to the dealer to do it. I'm getting tired of working on it to be honest. I wish I had $400 a month more in the budget, I'd just go buy a new car and be done with it.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I checked the name brands and none of them seem to make shocks for the pilot. That's odd. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are. Both shock leaking oil sounds excessive unless you hit something. The task isnt hard, just time consuming. Take pics please

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I checked the name brands and none of them seem to make shocks for the pilot. That's odd. Not sure how mechanically inclined you are. Both shock leaking oil sounds excessive unless you hit something. The task isnt hard, just time consuming. Take pics please
That’s what made me come look here for advice - the BigO Rep is a good guy and he told me there are no aftermarket options for struts and we have to go OEM which are very pricey at over $1k to replace labor included. I don’t really want to do the work myself but at that kind of cost I’m sort of stuck.

·
Registered
8,946 Posts
That’s what made me come look here for advice - the BigO Rep is a good guy and he told me there are no aftermarket options for struts and we have to go OEM which are very pricey at over $1k to replace labor included. I don’t really want to do the work myself but at that kind of cost I’m sort of stuck.
What's the breakdown in the prices for parts versus labor in the quote from BigO?
The struts can be purchased for about $320. Does their quote show ~$700 in labor?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
What's the breakdown in the prices for parts versus labor in the quote from BigO?
The struts can be purchased for about $320. Does their quote show ~$700 in labor?
He quoted me $250 each for the struts and then 4 hours labor plus an alignment and taxes.

·
Registered
139 Posts
How do you know they are bad? I'm at 200,000 miles and pondering the swap..But vehicle feels normal and not tire scrubbing..

Honda normally makes a complete unit with spring, etc.. and you just unbolt old ones and bolt in new ones.. No spring compressing.. I cannot find the complete units for 2016 and on...

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How do you know they are bad? I'm at 200,000 miles and pondering the swap..But vehicle feels normal and not tire scrubbing..

Honda normally makes a complete unit with spring, etc.. and you just unbolt old ones and bolt in new ones.. No spring compressing.. I cannot find the complete units for 2016 and on...
They’re leaking oil pretty badly - it’s getting all over the inside of the wheel well it’s that bad. I was hoping to find a more realistic solution for it but at this point it seems going stock is the only option - which sucks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Wow, blown struts at 75k? Was previous owner off-roading it or what? That is surprisingly early.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts