Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my struts, mounts, bump stops, and dust boots and while it made a significant improvement in handling, there's an issue where I was hearing a popping sound when I first turn the steering wheel after the car is parked. Sure enough, I visually confirmed that the spring is twisting around the upper mount and the mount doesn't move right away, and then it eventually moves and pops back into alignment causing this sound.

I used a KYB brand mount and it looks identical to the original one that I removed, but I'm not sure why it's binding like this. I plan to remove the struts to inspect them and reseat everything, but I was thinking of replacing the dust boot and integrated rubber spring seat with the OEM Honda part and might also try a different strut mount since I'm not sure why this KYB mount isn't turning and is allowing the spring to bind.

Is there anything else I should be looking for? I just replaced struts on another car and don't have this issue.

·
Registered
750 Posts
The bearing in the mount is the issue. If you plan in taking them apart, I would replace both sides with good quality ones.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The bearing in the mount is the issue. If you plan in taking them apart, I would replace both sides with good quality ones.
Any specific recommendation? I thought KYB made decent stuff, but apparently not. Other options are Moog for $35 or OEM Honda mount and bearing for $50 (per side).

·
Registered
750 Posts
Kyb makes good struts/shocks, but apparently they use junk mounts. I would use Honda mounts, as I rarely ever has issues with oem mounts.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Moog and KYB mounts look identical to the Honda mounts. Only the Beck Arnley brand use a different style bearing with a metal race.

Speaking of that bearing, when I removed my original struts and disassembled them to swap springs over to my new ones I noticed that upper strut mount bearing was loaded with grease. When I reassembled my new struts with new mounts I didn't use any grease as the Honda service manual made no mention of it. Could it be this simple of a fix?

At this point I've driven about 1500 miles on the new struts, mounts, and bearings and I'm still thinking I'm better off just getting new ones .

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I disassembled the struts again to see what's going on with the spring binding. The bearings that came with the KYB mount are identical to the ones on the OEM Honda mounts that I removed.

I discovered that the metal plate that goes between the strut rod and the strut mount wasn't smooth and clean. There was some rubber from the old mount stuck to it. It was the same case with the top plate that goes on top of the mount and under the top nut. I cleaned these up on a wire wheel and reassembled with a light coat of silicone grease (rubber safe) and all seems good so far.

I also replaced both dust boots with OEM Honda boots which have the rubber spring seats integrated. Previously I just cut the old boots off and reused the top part and installed am aftermarket boot, but the Honda OEM part is a much better design.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts