Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The plastic backing of my front seats came off at the bottom rear clips. The clips themselves were fine, however the plastic on the seat back itself that holds the clip was broken, and I don't think I'm the only one with this problem. I attempted a repair with epoxy, as well as JB Weld, neither were successful and broke almost immediately once the seat backs were reinstalled with the plastic clips. Replacing the seat back for hundreds of dollars was not an acceptable option for me, neither was the other write up I found of repairing it with zip ties. I want sturdy, and this write up will share how I bolted those seat covers back on once and for all.

All these parts were purchased from Lowes for just a few dollars.

First thing I did was remove the seat back. I used a pair of vise grips to bend the outer part of the metal tab in the seat to allow placement of the U nut. Once the tab was bent slightly, the U nut slides easily over the tab and just clips into place. Now you have threads with which to bolt the plastic seat back into place.

Next step was to drill a hole from the outside of the seat back which matched the original location of the clip on the seat back as closely as possible. 17/64" closely matched the 4" bolts I used. Once that was done, I used a much larger bit from the inside to remove some of the inner "guts" of the plastic mount that was no longer needed. I wanted the bolt to be able to pivot somewhat, to allow it to purchase into the U clip at the correct angle. I was however careful not to pierce the actual "skin" of the seat back, ensuring that the bolt would actually hold the seat back in place.

Once this was all done, I was able to mount the seat back onto the seat, and bolt it in place snugly using the 4" bolts with a 7/16" socket until it was snugly in place. The seat backs are now firmly in place and aren't going anywhere.

One could use washers if desired, but I wanted to minimize the appearance of shiny metal. This may not be the most cosmetically pleasing repair, but it is sturdy and isn't going anywhere, and saved me a boatload of money.

Attachments

1 - 1 of 1 Posts