Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replaced the front motor mount today. Not a difficult job, but tedious as there is just a small amount of working room to turn wrenches. I got the mount from RockAuto for $60-something.

Result: no more front-end noises!!! She dives like a dream!

Tips: 1. the Haynes manual directions are not adequate (again); 2. remove the three bolts holding the right front mount to the body. This will allow the engine more room to travel vertically when you jack it up. 3. remove the front lower splash shield. This allows you more working room. It is held on by 16 of those quick clips. About 3/4th of mine broke. I'll be ordering more...

(Photo is of the old mount.)

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Just had the front three done last month. I bought original Honda mounts since my mechanic said he had bad experiences with aftermarket mounts. He claims that they just dont hold up over time. I noticed the shaking and buzzing sitting idle at traffic lights was gone after the replacement. My glove box use to rattle so much that I had to empty it. All my mounts were shot at 100K miles. The two rear were replaced last summer due to the tranny shaking when going up the ramps in parking garages.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Motor Mount Update: with just one month of service, the aftermarket front mount has failed... Cross your fingers that I can get a refund.

I have ordered a Honda OEM mount and it should get here by the end of the week.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
Banned from wife’s 2005 Pilot LX
4,032 Posts
That sucks. Do you remember which brand you bought from Rock Auto? Hopefully they give you a refund. I’m sure the second time installing them will be faster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it is possible. I replaced the right front one a few months ago, but also with an aftermarket mount. I now have a new Honda front, and the two small left-side mounts. The clunking remains, however, but not as bad. I have just ordered a Honda right front mount.

This will get me four new OEM Honda mounts. The back one looks difficult as I can barely see if from the engine bay and the view underneath is just as bad. Anyone have experience replacing this mount?

The original problem was a clunking noise from the front end. Mostly at low speeds and mostly while coasting toward a stop. (My '04 Pilot now has 145k miles.)

·
Registered
37 Posts
it is possible. I replaced the right front one a few months ago, but also with an aftermarket mount. I now have a new Honda front, and the two small left-side mounts. The clunking remains, however, but not as bad. I have just ordered a Honda right front mount.

This will get me four new OEM Honda mounts. The back one looks difficult as I can barely see if from the engine bay and the view underneath is just as bad. Anyone have experience replacing this mount?

The original problem was a clunking noise from the front end. Mostly at low speeds and mostly while coasting toward a stop. (My '04 Pilot now has 145k miles.)
I watched my mechanic do the front three mounts. Took him about 3 1/2 hours to complete the work. He dropped the subframe and used telescoping jack stands to push the engine up about 2 inches to get enough clearance to do the work.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I repaired a few motor mounts using old radiator hose or urethane for windshield. Not sure if it would work for Pilot mounts, but I would definitely try.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That is the wrong way to do it. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts