Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the front right passenger side lower control arm seems to busted located right under the oil filter.. which i think could have been relocated as to the oil change mess it makes when changing the oil filter... in the picture the middle bushing of the arm....
Is there great aftermarket solutions like moog movtech alternative

Attachments

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Check out all the lower control arms at Rock Auto. Forum 5% code helps to reduce expense+shipping. Moog, Mevotech, etc make good oem substitutes.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Are you still under warranty? If you are, then ask your Dealership to address it.
Oil changes and oil spills should not compromise structural integrity of the component. How was it diagnosed to be an issue in the first place?

Since the front lower control arms ( on current gen pilot is the same on the '14+ MDX (51350-TZ5-A01 pass front) and apparently on current gen Ridgeline and Passport), the price is reasonable. However, still expensive in my book. Unlike the cast iron of the previous generations, the current generations use this fancy cast aluminum with a replaceable (and its own part) compliance bushing.

So if you get one from the dealer (without the compliance bushing) it is $345 for either the Honda or Acura. However, the Ridgeline is only $173 (part Number 51350-T6Z-A00 Pass Front).

According to RockAuto, all four (Pilot, Passport, Pilot and MDX) share the front lower control arms and the passenger side for Mevotech CMS601230 is $234.00. This comes with the compliance bushing as well. As far as the price is concerned, OEM Ridgeline is cheaper, but with shipping to your home maybe different and offset the price.

Since the control arm is typically not replaced this soon, companies such as Moog and AcDelco do not have a replacement yet. (From experience, Moog is not as it once used to be; AcDelco is much better, though OEM is best and Mevotech is a good aftermarket alternative).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Movtech is only option ... beck has before kast 2 months on my Infiniti.. sorry 65000 miles no warranty... thinking about getting one because my transmission 9 speed feels like my previous v8 x5 bmw jerky especially going down hill and coming back up the hill .. even if i changed the transmission fluid 2 months ago .. sorry off topic

Attachments

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
If I were replacing them on my own dime, I'd be buying steel ones. I'd have no problem using Mevotech.

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Question can the be pressed in with polyurethane bushings if they make them for pilots..
This is a great question. Again, my personal opinion would be not to attempt on Aluminum. I'd buy all new.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Question can the be pressed in with polyurethane bushings if they make them for pilots..
Have anyone bought the magnetic oil tray for the filter drain ...

Polyurethane is great, if you want to sacrifice driving composure. Also, their NVH (noise vibration harshness) is a lot higher than the OEM rubber bushing. Though no one makes a bushing for the control arm, it is not to say that it cannot be the same as one that is out in the market. The only thing is, we do not know what the other diameter, inner diameter, and height of that bushing. I would just replace it with an OEM or its substitute.

In regards to the jerky shifting, you looked into all the transmission TSBs (#A17-011, #A17-035, #A17-009, #A16-087) right?

Does your bushing look like this (image below) ?

<< Click to enlarge >>

@aggrex , why the SPC rear upper control arms?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Polyurethane is great, if you want to sacrifice driving composure. Also, their NVH (noise vibration harshness) is a lot higher than the OEM rubber bushing. Though no one makes a bushing for the control arm, it is not to say that it cannot be the same as one that is out in the market. The only thing is, we do not know what the other diameter, inner diameter, and height of that bushing. I would just replace it with an OEM or its substitute.

In regards to the jerky shifting, you looked into all the transmission TSBs (#A17-011, #A17-035, #A17-009, #A16-087) right?

Does your bushing look like this (image below) ?

<< Click to enlarge >>

View attachment 134306

@aggrex , why the SPC rear upper control arms?
Yes it does look similar to that pic

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you still under warranty? If you are, then ask your Dealership to address it.
Oil changes and oil spills should not compromise structural integrity of the component. How was it diagnosed to be an issue in the first place?

Since the front lower control arms ( on current gen pilot is the same on the '14+ MDX (51350-TZ5-A01 pass front) and apparently on current gen Ridgeline and Passport), the price is reasonable. However, still expensive in my book. Unlike the cast iron of the previous generations, the current generations use this fancy cast aluminum with a replaceable (and its own part) compliance bushing.

So if you get one from the dealer (without the compliance bushing) it is $345 for either the Honda or Acura. However, the Ridgeline is only $173 (part Number 51350-T6Z-A00 Pass Front).

According to RockAuto, all four (Pilot, Passport, Pilot and MDX) share the front lower control arms and the passenger side for Mevotech CMS601230 is $234.00. This comes with the compliance bushing as well. As far as the price is concerned, OEM Ridgeline is cheaper, but with shipping to your home maybe different and offset the price.

Since the control arm is typically not replaced this soon, companies such as Moog and AcDelco do not have a replacement yet. (From experience, Moog is not as it once used to be; AcDelco is much better, though OEM is best and Mevotech is a good aftermarket alternative).
U are absolutely right the 2017 ridgeline is the same exact lower control arm at a cheaper price of 177 vs pilot 325 price tag

·
Registered
337 Posts
Have anyone bought the magnetic oil tray for the filter drain ...
Yes, different for the 2016-2020 Oil filter deflector Many also just use a gallon Ziploc freezer bag instead. Loosen filter with wrench so you can sin by hand, put the bag over it and undo it. You can put a rag on control arm when you remove old to catch the couple drips before you put the new on. Have the new one ready to go before removing old. Quick wipe of dirty, and install new.

I tried both, not sure which I prefer better yet.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Yes, different for the 2016-2020 Oil filter deflector Many also just use a gallon Ziploc freezer bag instead. Loosen filter with wrench so you can sin by hand, put the bag over it and undo it. You can put a rag on control arm when you remove old to catch the couple drips before you put the new on. Have the new one ready to go before removing old. Quick wipe of dirty, and install new.

I tried both, not sure which I prefer better yet.
I sin by hand far too often

·
Registered
144 Posts
Try rereading your whole post with the nasty in mind and with a little boom chicka wow cheesy music in your head....pretty much every sentence can have that double meaning.....haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts