Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How did you guys put up your front license plate? I put up mine yesterday and I'm not sure If I did it right. Does the license plate holder just mount to the front bumber?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
The dealer mounted mine, but it looks like it's held with two bolts on the bottom of the frame that are attached to the gray part of the bumper. The top of the frame is hooked around the bumper.

Let me know if you need pictures.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
I haven't had a front license plate on my vehicles sinnce 1992. to me they detract from the lines of the vehicle as they look just "stuck" on as an after thought and not part of the body design. Mine is in the rear storange area and if I ever get stopped by the law for this, which I never have been, I tell them I have it and it came off in car wash and I haven't put it back on yet.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
guitarman said:
Here's a picture.
Thanks for posting this picture because the bag my plate holder came in was already opened when I received it and I noticed four screws in there so I didn't think much more about it. Once I got home and really started looking things over I realized that the screws/bolts for securing it to the bumper were missing (those other screws were for attaching a plate to the frame). Why they'd open my package and take my screws I'll never know, but at least now I know that I need washers and some kind of nut (or is that a bolt?). I went out just yesterday and bought a couple of metric-type screws, thinking that would do the trick. I haven't put the plate on yet so that's a good thing. I'm wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't just use the screws I bought...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
423 Posts
If you're going to use in your state, have the dealer install it. Mine is always put on by the dealer and I have to take it off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
There is a bolt and a clip nut. If you don't have these, I'd stop by your Honda dealer and have them install the plate frame. It is part of the PDI procedure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
360 Posts
guitarman said:
There is a bolt and a clip nut. If you don't have these, I'd stop by your Honda dealer and have them install the plate frame. It is part of the PDI procedure.
The dealer where I purchased my car is about 90 miles from me and their service department isn't open on Saturday (I'm sure they'd refer me to their service department to have the thing put on).

Well maybe I *won't* give my dealer all 5's on that survey when Honda calls. I did have to remove some protective plastic that they left behind, not to mention the protective plastic fragments that are wedged in the seams on the center console that they didn't remove -- obviously because it's difficult to get it out. :mad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
You might ask them to mail the hardware to you. My dealer "forgot" to install the rubber plugs. They mailed them to me, no problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
4603pba said:
I haven't had a front license plate on my vehicles sinnce 1992. to me they detract from the lines of the vehicle as they look just "stuck" on as an after thought and not part of the body design. Mine is in the rear storange area and if I ever get stopped by the law for this, which I never have been, I tell them I have it and it came off in car wash and I haven't put it back on yet.
That doesn't work here - if a LEO goes to the trouble of stopping you for a missing front license plate, you're going to get a fix-it ticket no matter what.

kad
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,838 Posts
gymeni said:
...

Well maybe I *won't* give my dealer all 5's on that survey when Honda calls.
.... :mad:
Not if, like me, you never receive the survey or a phone call. :cursin:

I don't know which states, beside NY, require a front plate, but it serves no practical purpose unless someone flees the scene of an accident in reverse. It just ruins the front of the car. And with the license plate bracket mounted to the front bumper, it basically becomes the front bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
License Plates
States that require front/back license plates:

Alaska, American Samoa, California, Colorado, Connecticut, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Iowa, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, North Dakota, Ohio, Oregon, Rhode Island, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wisconsin, Wyoming, British Columbia, Manitoba (newly issue plates), New Brunswick, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Saskatchewan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
States that require only a rear license plate :

Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Florida, Georgia, Guam, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Michigan, Mississippi, New Mexico, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, Puerto Rico, South Carolina, Tennessee, Virgin Islands, West Virginia, Alberta, Quebec, Manitoba (New plates are front/back in 1997), Northwest Territories, Prince Edward Island, Yukon Territory
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gymeni said:
Thanks for posting this picture because the bag my plate holder came in was already opened when I received it and I noticed four screws in there so I didn't think much more about it. Once I got home and really started looking things over I realized that the screws/bolts for securing it to the bumper were missing (those other screws were for attaching a plate to the frame). Why they'd open my package and take my screws I'll never know, but at least now I know that I need washers and some kind of nut (or is that a bolt?). I went out just yesterday and bought a couple of metric-type screws, thinking that would do the trick. I haven't put the plate on yet so that's a good thing. I'm wondering if there's any reason why I couldn't just use the screws I bought...
Same here. The bag was opened in my case too. i didn't think too much of it. Like you said the other screws are for attaching the plate to the frame. I'll go to the dealership and ask them to bolt it on properly. I just hope the front plate doesn't fall off.

Guitarman, thanks for posting the pictures!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
krygny said:
Not if, like me, you never receive the survey or a phone call. :cursin:

I don't know which states, beside NY, require a front plate, but it serves no practical purpose unless someone flees the scene of an accident in reverse. It just ruins the front of the car. And with the license plate bracket mounted to the front bumper, it basically becomes the front bumper.
Well, I can think of 2 practical purposes - a fix-it ticket earns the city/county/whatever $$$ and it makes a nice target to bounce a radar wave off of (when it isn't bent anyway) :D

kad
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top