Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Front License Plate

I was thinking of permanently removing my front license plate. I was toying around last night and thought the sans bracket look was much cleaner. The problem is...the state of MN requires that a front plate be displayed. So, out of curiosity, I asked a cop about this. He said that legally, it’s a $90 fine. However, in reality he told me that he has never issued a citation for a missing front plate. He used the Corvette as an example. On a Vette, you cannot install a front plate. Does that mean that the Vette owner is susceptible to $90 tickets every time he/she drives the car??? The cop thinks not.

What do you guys think???

·
Registered
919 Posts
I live in Kentucky and only require a rear plate, but I have friend in Ohio (two plate state) that have driven with only the rear plate for years without any issues/complaints from the law. I personally think they look like hell. I usually buy most of my vehicles in Ohio and have actually refused delivery of a car once because they drilled into the front bumper to mount a front plate bracket that I didn't need.

·
Registered
191 Posts
I live in WI and was once pulled over and told that I was missing the front plate on my '84 Toyota Celica GT-S. The car was black and looked really nice WITHOUT the white plate on the front. But, since this officer was pretty clear in his statement that it was the law in WI to have 2 plates, I caved and put it back on. This was in Holmen, WI, which is an incredibly small town on the western side of the state and many years ago. Don't know if the "small town cop" had anything to do with it or not. Just thought I would pass that on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
In Texas, you are required to have both plates and the police will give you a citation for not having them.

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
When I was in the military, I had Tennessee tags (one plate) and was pulled over by a MD state trooper for having only one plate (MD has two, front and back). It took a few moments to convince him that TN only issued ONE plate! He must've been a rookie -- I guess he went back to his cruiser and radioed in to the dispatcher to confirm while I waited... or maybe he was checking me out for outstanding warrants... :)

Anyway, I didn't get fined.

·
Registered
20 Posts
No front plate

After years of no enforcment, SoCal law enforcement is now ticketing for missing plates. Only a $270 fine.

It seems that the Redlight cameras at intersections ( appearing more and more), can't get a plate number when there is none, and they're trying to capture the revenue that they're losing.

So, front plates are required and enforced.

·
Registered
389 Posts
It's OK here. All my vehicles do not have front license plates. I told the salesman during the prep not to install the front license plate holders. No screws or holes on my front bumper.

:2:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
Not true about the Vette. It has a place right in the center of the front bumper where Vette owners mount their plate front plate, at least those here in Virginia who abide by the law. While the Vette is ugly with or without a plate, the body colored panel and Vette logo mounted there instead of a plate looks better.

·
Registered
62 Posts
No font plate here.

I took my front plate off the night I brought the truck home. IMO I think the Pilot looks better without it. I have been pulled over for no front plate plate on my Civic sevral times and it's been either a verbal warning or a 15 day fix-it ticket. I have never had to pay a fine. On the other hand it dose give the cops a reason to pull you over, so if drive home from the bar at closing time a lot you might want to leave it on. Just a thought

·
Registered
310 Posts
Len said:
In Texas, you are required to have both plates and the police will give you a citation for not having them.
You're right, Len. I confimed this with my uncle who is a retired Texas police officer. He said it was an easy ticket and he used to write them all the time when he was on the street. Since I like to drive a reasonable and safe speed (which doesn't always correspond to the posted speed) I don't want to give Mr. Law any reason to look my way. I think the pilot would look much better without a front plate but I'm not going to risk it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I don't like the front license plate look either. I took the 4 brass colored screws out of the front license plate holder, but it looks like the holder doesn't come off.

Does someone know if the license plate holder comes off?

Thanks.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes it does. If I remember correctly it kind of hangs on the bumper with a "lip" or something. Not hard at all removing.

Car looks a lot better without it...

KR

·
Registered
138 Posts
In MA, you need to have a front plate. That's the requirement. It's illegal for not installting the front plate.

There is some exceptation cases where if you still own an old plate (green plate), then only read plate is needed.

You also can have excuses also if you lost your front plate. So far, the police is not very picky. Unless you lived in a town where the policemen is very picky. Then, you will get citation based of missing front plate.

:( I won't be able to install some fancy front plate for the particular reason. I also do not owned an old plate. :( :(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts