Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 / 141,000. On to the next task. Likely need some front end work, as it is all original. I notice a shimmy in the steering wheel at highway speeds. Have had the tires roadforce balanced and new front rotors. I love the truck and plan to keep it, so don’t mind putting a little $$$ into it.
Anyway, looking at struts, tie rod ends, compliance bushings, etc.... Thoughts ?

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,878 Posts
Make sure you know what is wrong first. It can get expensive doing struts, tie rids etc. only to find out you need a new rack.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,323 Posts
Right, even if you don't mind putting a little $$$ into it, you want to apply it where it's effective. I'd get two or three opinions from different trusted shops if you're not entirely sure.

·
Registered
577 Posts
While I agree with both of these experienced opinions, since everything is original I wouldn't worry about replacing it too soon. Confirm that the power steering is healthy, as Daltongang notes, then do it all on both sides while you're in there, including struts and LCA's. Anything with rubber in it or on it is ready to be retired, with the possible exception of your axles. If the boots are still good and you're not getting clunks on turns, you can squeeze a few more miles out of them.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Pilot 2WD
71 Posts
Check your lower control arm bushings. I had one go bad prematurely on my Pilot with about 30,000 miles on the control arms. Just one inner bushing. Jack up one wheel at a time and check for the end play left to right and up and down. It is best to have someone moving the steering wheel while you are looking at the tie rod ends. But also watch the control arm bushings as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts