Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2008 EX-L 140,xxx

Ok folks. I'm putting a big ol rockauto shopping cart together. I'm getting new struts, stabilizer links, rotors, and pads. So far I've got KYB Excel G shocks/struts for front and rear, proforged links, and I'm looking at centric pad/rotors package with the ceramic posi-quiets. I'm replacing some middle of the road rotors because they got the judder after like 4k miles. Can anybody that's had centrics tell me if they're gonna hold up or how they perform compared to OEM? Also if there's any more highly recommended parts, please let me know. I've been combing these forums for a couple days and I think what I've got in the cart seems to be everybody's favorite stuff. Thanks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
I would do sway bar bushings for sure while you're in there, no matter what they look like.

Assuming you plan to keep it for a while, I think its worthwhile to do the lower control arms so you get new compliance bushings and ball joints, too. Steering end links are easy to reach. At 140k, you've gotten your money's worth from all those parts. Might as well get it over with and get your alignment with all new stuff behind it.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts

If you're referring to these babies, I put them on this spring and I am so happy. These are the brakes our Pilots should have had all along. There are a lot of threads about what brakes people have happily replaced the inadequate OEM brakes with, but I was waiting a couple of months to see if I'd get over the pleasure of that new brakes feeling, and it's still there. Are these performance drilled and/or slotted rotors (along with the associated dust)? No, but they make both pedals equally satisfying to use now, the accelerator as well as the brakes. :)

Couple more suggestions, while you're at it:
  1. Remember the brake fluid (get new, of course) bleed sequence is driver's side front first, then clockwise, according to the service manual. Not everybody knows that.
  2. Change the front sway bar bushings. Cost is negligible for an improved ride at lower speeds over slight to medium road irregularities. [Edit: Tacoma'03Pilot beat me to it while I was proofreading and inserting my link. Great minds think alike.:D]

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would do sway bar bushings for sure while you're in there, no matter what they look like.

Assuming you plan to keep it for a while, I think its worthwhile to do the lower control arms so you get new compliance bushings and ball joints, too. Steering end links are easy to reach. At 140k, you've gotten your money's worth from all those parts. Might as well get it over with and get your alignment with all new stuff behind it.
What's the difference between "front" and "front to frame" bushings? Wanna make sure I'm putting the right things in the cart.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Same, I believe. Just don't get rear for your front. They look almost identical and the OEM part numbers differ by just one alphanumeric character, but if you take a caliper to measure them you'll find a critical inside diameter difference of a few millimeters.

I got these 4 years ago. Been good since.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In the cart.

So about the centrics - do they feel like they stop more efficiently than the OEM? Or are they just holding up better? I absolutely hate the way my car stops currently.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Yes, yes and my only regret it that I got a set of Rockauto's "Economy" brakes a few years before. Not really much better than the OEMs. Wish I had gotten those Centrics in the first place.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Good choice on the end-links...Proforged makes good stuff. I haven't used their parts on my '05 Pilot yet but I used their outer tie rod ends on my '98 CRV and I'm very satisfied with them. I installed them over 5 1/2 years/ 48,000 miles ago and they're holding up nicely.

With Moog's quality being somewhat iffy lately Proforged is one of the few aftermarket suspension/steering part brands that I have confidence in. They have a strong following in the muscle car crowd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts