Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I bought a really nice 2010 Pilot a few months back with 170,000 miles on the Odometer.

The Front End makes a dragging/rubbing sound on deceleration on city streets.

Example: If drive down a slight inclined street and take my foot off the gas pedal and coast, there comes a fairly loud sound that I would normally associate with a hung-up disk brake pad.

But here's the kicker: If I shift the transmission selector into Neutral, the sound goes away. If I pull the shifter back into Drive, the noise comes back but much, much quieter, almost undetectable.

It sounds like its coming from the Passenger side wheel, axle area, but it could be coming from anywhere in the front end.

Anyone hear of this happening in Pilots of this year range? Good tread on tires, I was thinking with this many miles maybe it's a wheel or axle bearing? Or On-Demand 4 wheel drive component.

Or a hung-up disk brake pad? ;-)

·
Read Only
187 Posts
Could be one of your front axle's. The job takes some level of mechanical ability but it not that bad, I'm sure there are some DIY videos. I have bought from Detroit Axle with success. You would have to jack the car up then lower it onto jack stands to examine the problem closer, it may reveal something else.
part-finder

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
You say it's not brakes, so it has to be driveline. So, it is either transmission, transfer case, rear differential, or front axles.

Have you serviced the transfer case lube? Maybe the gears there are howling. Have you replaced VTM4 fluid in the rear diff? Noise there will go right up the driveshaft and sound like it's up front. How's the transmission fluid? Check it out. The front axle CV joints don't usually fail like you describe, but who knows! Do the axles click on turns?

I suspect transfer case or rear differential.

·
Read Only
187 Posts
To add to my last post, I had a bad wheel bearing once, which made the noise your speaking of, you can tell if it's the a wheel bearing by listening to the noise when making a left or right turn, and depending on if the sound gets louder or quieter you know which side has the bad wheel bearing. Hope you figure it out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts