Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My husband changed the sway bar links, lower control arm, bushings, and tie rod ends on my 2006 Honda pilot and now the abs light, the vtm4 light, and the vsa light is all on and the 4 wheel drive is not working what could have happened?

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Local auto parts stores like Advance/ Autozone offer scans for DTC codes. Post them for further discussion. Its possible that a speed sensor has failed or wire damage or the sensor was damaged during the repair.

·
Registered
207 Posts
^^^^
This. The ABS and speed sensors on the front wheels are relatively sensitive and if they get knocked during front end work they will need to be replaced - and a bad sensor will disable both VTM-4 and the VSA.

I had to replace an ABS sensor the last time I changed axles - cost ~ $20 at O'Reilly and took about 30 min of easy work. The new sensor immediately cleared the ABS and VTM-4 (my 03 doesn't have VSA).

·
Registered
207 Posts
Will that also make the 4-wheel-drive not work?
4WD will not work if VTM-4 is disabled, you in essence have a 2WD vehicle until the computer recognize a functional VTM system.

I don't have VSA on my Pilot, but in other AWD vehicles with traction assist, if you lose AWD you also lose traction assist because the computer is only recognizing 2 wheels and therefore can't direct power as needed (VSA in effect transfers power from wheels that are slipping to the other wheels). Others can comment about the VSA, but I suspect restoring VTM will restore your VSA.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,298 Posts
Your husband must've dinged an ABS sensor while doing all that other work. Don't be too hard on him; it happens even with "pro" mechanics and the job he did was pretty substantial. As mentioned, post codes and once that's fixed, you should be good to resume your AWDing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts