Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front of the Pilot has a rather meaty looking tow hook that looks like it could be use to jack the entire front end up while the rear has a designated rear jacking point located at the bottom tip of the rear differential as well. Has anyone used these jacking points to lift their Pilots???

·
Registered
311 Posts
Separately used both front and rear jacking points when I removed the tires, de-rusted, primed, and then painted the raw cast metal components behind the hubs. Used a 3 1/2 ton floor jack topped with a piece of cedar.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
seadog said:
Separately used both front and rear jacking points when I removed the tires, de-rusted, primed, and then painted the raw cast metal components behind the hubs. Used a 3 1/2 ton floor jack topped with a piece of cedar.
How big was your piece of cedar that you used??? Did the rear jacking point not sink too deep into that soft wood???

In order to use a piece of wood for protection, I would think that your lift base must be pretty wide. Most jacks under 3 1/2 tons have smaller support circles...

IOW, does your top part look like this one, or is it wider???

Attachments

·
Registered
311 Posts
The piece of cedar was a short piece off a 4x4 and yes, that pinnacle on the rear lifting point did leave a very deep impression in the soft wood. Actually, it may have even been completely impalled. I usually use oak as blocks, etc but I thought the pinnacle might bend without any side to side support. The jack lift saddle is 5 inches in diameter. BTW I guess I should mention that I did not lift the front-end by jacking under the hook. If memory serves, I raised each side of the front separately using a lift point where the lower control arm attaches into the re-enforced transaxle/engine cradle, again using a piece of wood as a buffer. As a word of caution I am not saying this is the "correct" way to raise the vehicle using a floor jack. Its simply what worked for me in providing enough additional support surfaces to place heavy-duty jack stands under the Pilot and remove the floor jack for the 24 or so hours I let each coat of paint dry. For stability reasons, I never jacked all four wheels off the ground at the same time.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You know, I was/am nervous about the rear pinnacle bending as well. But, if Honda claims that the pinnacle is indeed the rear lift point, then I'll proceed with caution. BTW, according the MDX service manual, the front tow hook is the designated front lift point.

·
Registered
10 Posts
What should I use??????

I have both the 7 ton floor jack and a pair of ramps that I use to service my cars. But I always use the ramps. I just got this 7.5 tons floor jacks from Sears ( was on sale ) and this could definitely raise the pilot. My question is where are the exact points for placing the jack. I have been reading your post and I just what to make sure that I'm doing it right. Thank You.

:) :) :)

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Re: What should I use??????

wahoo75 said:
I have both the 7 ton floor jack and a pair of ramps that I use to service my cars. But I always use the ramps. I just got this 7.5 tons floor jacks from Sears ( was on sale ) and this could definitely raise the pilot. My question is where are the exact points for placing the jack. I have been reading your post and I just what to make sure that I'm doing it right. Thank You.

:) :) :)
wahoo75: Click here for a visual aid... :4: :) :17:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Is this the lifting point of the front of the Pilot ? And where is the best lifting point of the rear of the Pilot ? A photo is very helpful.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts