Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to get a Pilot soon, and it will be my 1st SUV. How is it going be like...I keep thinking? All my cars have been 2 door sports coupes (Acura CL and BMW 325iConvertible).

Does anyone have any similar experiences?

I'm getting the Pilot because my family is growing ( my wife and I have a 6 mo. old) and we anticiipate having another one in a year or 2. I just want someting more roomy and thats smooth and yet nice driving/handling......which boils down to the Pilot.

What experiences have you folks gone through, going from cars to the Pilot.

1. Sitting higher up- how is that like?
2. Bigger car
3. More room
4. etc....

Again, thanks for the feedback.

Ken

·
Registered
336 Posts
Interestingly enough, the Pilot is actually 4" shorter than a CL, at 188", with a slightly tighter turning radius. The current CL has virtually identical wheelbase (106.9 for CL, 106.3 for Pilot).

So, outside size won't be much of a change. Driving position is a positive for visibility, but not so hot if you drive aggressively; you feel the lean a lot more, and the tall sidewall tires squirm a bit. The car also feels more 'tippy' than the low-rider coupe. On the other hand, seat height is at a perfect hip level for a 6' person, and unlike the CL, you have LOTS of headroom.

Overall, it's all a compromise; the biggest difference is the 1/2 ton of extra weight, for better or worse, the Pilot has. The AWD traction is a strong plus in slippery conditions , although the CL isn't too shabby there either. Handling is set up to keep you out of trouble (read UNDER STEER!), although it feels reasonably nimble in everyday traffic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are a lot of advantages and only a couple of minor "issues" when going from the lower-positions to a higher position SUV/Van with more room.

The seating position gives much better forward visibility. The headroom is great for taller folks like me, and I think generally it's easier to get a comfortable seating position in an SUV or Van than it is in a car. Unless you're short, you should find it at least as easy to get in and out of as a car, too.

You can't drive as aggressively as you would with a sport coupe, obviously. Just can't tear into the twisties. I notice this most on banked entry/exit ramps. Off-the-line performance is obviously going to be effected by the weight.

They are really different in terms of function. The sports coupe is the better driving machine. The SUV is the more functional transportation machine... and with the Pilot, you get a family hauler that is still nice driving and handles a lot of odd loads as well.

A lot of people on the board use the Pilot as their daily commuting vehicle. Though they don't necessarily need the hauling or people-moving capacity all the time they drive it, they sure appreciate having it when they do need it. And having a pretty nice ride all the time while doing it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts