Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took a huge financial loss as cars is my weakness but wanted to share my thoughts and inputs on all three cars for those that are considering. Cliff notes on the bottom if you do not feel like reading. I hope this helps someone.

19' Advance Hybrid: paid $55k for it new
Pros: Smooth ride, gas mileage improved 3-4mpg, fast (you can step on the gas and the engine would need to raise in rpm, the electric motors just give you nice smooth delivery like a Tesla I assume), handled amazing. The mirrors (rear and sides) actually auto dim the entire mirror unlike the Elite, has dynamic mode that allows the steering to be lose or tighter.

Cons: Hated the start/stop with the hybrid and you cannot turn it off. Installing a hitch may void the warranty not sure but it cannot tow due to the electric motors for the rear wheels. I was always nervous if I had to carry some heavy items like mulch, soil or anything that may harm the motors. Overall I hated the start/stop because there is definitely a delay when taking off which drove me nuts after having gas all my life. The hybrids do not come with entertainment. No foot activated trunk.

19' Elite: Paid $42k for it new
Pros: space is amazing, riding in it there is definitly more windshield space, more rear leg room and third row. Love the foot activated tail gate, panoramic sunroof and infotainment (before it froze on me) and the storage space in the doors and center console. Rides higher and I feel like I'm in a space station because it is so big, love the space. ZF-9 transmission was fine but around 5k in the cold it shifted hard on the first shift but other than that it was fine, smoothest transmission I've ever had coming from 3 MDX's from 2014-2015 with the 6 speed.

Cons: No brake hold, seriously? Even a civic has auto brake hold, after having it on my MDX I missed it, so pretty much every time you come to a complete stop, the car holds the brake for you which alleviates your need to hold the brake so you can rest your foot, text or whatever. The mirrors, all the mirrors have an outline on the outer edge that is not auto dim so rear cars still blinded you through that outline. MDX did not have this problem. The materials: felt cheaper compared to the MDX. The steering wheel is skinny, not as thick which makes a difference in feel and driving experience. No dynamic mode, so if I wanted to take the back roads I cannot put it in sports dynamic mode which tightens the steering feel. Loud, while quieter than previous models and generations, coming from an Acura, this was louder, I could hear the engine noise accelerating and road noise more.

19' MDX Advance/ Entertainment non-hybrid: Paid $50k for it new
Pros: mirrors, all mirrors dim, there is no blinding outline. Drives smoother somehow than the elite. Much quieter, speaker/audio system is noticeably better than the elite (this could be that the MDX is smaller and bounces music back from the trunk). Sleeker looking, looks much more refined than the Elite. Materials, real wood grain, softer materials, nicer leather and lumbar support not only in and out but also up and down. Dynamic mode, thicker steering wheel. 360 camera, I don't even use my mirrors anymore, the 360 camera is really good.

Cons: Everything is much more expensive, especially the accessories. I have a large car payment now, still a Zf-9 transmission so reliability is still scary for me. Space has definitely decreased, sit lower compared the the pilot. When you turn off the car it does not keep the entertainment running like the elite. Floor boards are useless the way they are designed, it is tucked in.

I typed this as I'm tired, I may have missed somethings. When I got back into the Acura I was like eh' but when I started driving it, that's when I was like "Glad I'm back" especially with the brake hold feature and the mirrors. For most, they might not think the extra $10k is worth and I don't either, the most I think is worth the jump would be $5k but the brake hold, 360 camera and mirrors I missed those along with the thicker steering wheel, look of the car and materials. Knowing what I know now which car would I have chosen first, the Pilot. If I had the pilot, I wouldn't have known about the features on the MDX that spoiled me and wouldn't of had this problem. Also my Honda dealer is not the greatest whereas the Acura offers you acura loaners and the warranty is 4 year/50k miles vs honda's 3 year/36k. But I am glad to be back in an Acura, if you folks have any questions or comments please reply.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also have the aftermarket arm rest for sale if anyone is interested, paid ~$180 for it from the forum sponsor, I did weld a plate to it to make it reach out further as my elbow was hitting the edge. Powdercoated the adapter and is not viseable when installed anyways. Will sell for $100 shipped via paypal.

·
Registered
734 Posts
Honda Pilot uses regular fuel, the MDX still needing premium fuel?

·
Registered
415 Posts
i think the mdx is nice, but after i sat in the 3rd row, it was immediately off my list. for a big family vehicle, 3rd row and 2nd row bench trumps a lot of other little features. in a perfect world you can have it all. but in vehicles the only thing that checks all that is the odyssey but of course its a van hah.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Mdx is too small compared to the pilot, particularly the third row seat and the rear hatch opening. Nice car, though. Mdx requires premium fuel too. I had an 05 RL for 11 years, loved it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
The outline on my auto-dimming mirrors on the Elite I own is soooooooooooooooo insignificant! It does an awesome job for me - no issues with being blinded from behind. I found the cost for the MDX ridiculous compared to the Pilot based on the fact that, more costly should mean more features. It is the contrary with the MDX. I mean, anyone who sees the trims on the Pilot from LX all the way to the Elite can see that the higher you go, the more features are added. I was expecting the same with the MDX since it is the luxury version of the Pilot. But I was disappointed. The 3rd row is so small compared to the Pilot's. It does not have wireless charging. How do I pay so much for a luxury vehicle and that is missing? No panoramic sunroof. I can live without the sunroof but it is unforgivable the MDX also does not have a foot activated tailgate lift. These little conveniences begin to matter once you start using it. Can't count the number of times I have found these features very useful. For the value of the money, the Elite is better than the MDX in my opinion. So no thanks to the MDX.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 19 MDX Advance with entertainment and the outer edge of my side mirrors doesn't dim. So most of the side mirrors dim but there is a small outline around the outer edge of the mirror that doesn't dim.

If you have a 19 MDX where the full mirror dims and there isn't this outline can you share a pic?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Not to jack this thread,... (admins and OP, if I do I apologize)

I almost jumped on the 19 MDX vs the 19 Pilot, but then the Pilot made a checkmark that I couldn't pass on...

Whenever my toddler gets knocked out on weekly trips to the supermarket, my wife has to stay with him in the car with the doors LOCKED sitting next to him in the 2nd row as the car is running with the AC on.

I am now able to (19 Touring) OPEN the rear door/hatch by foot activation, as I'm loading the SUV with groceries, all while the doors are LOCKED. Yes, you read that right. I am able to open the rear door, something my 2016 Touring couldn't while locked. Wife was knocked out too, that's how I found this out by trying the foot activation.

I like this feature, as it is a safety issue for me that was addressed. On the 16 if the engine is running and I step out and passenger locks the door, i am not able to unlock the door with key fob, only with actual "metal key". (My drunk BFF played a joke on me and that's how I knew this is wrong on Hondas part.

Infiniti owners are able to lock and unlock (using key fob or button) at any given time if the engine is running while in "P" park position, say for instance warming up vehicle with AC or heater full blast.

Since the MDX couldn't do this I passed on it, while keeping funds in my account.

To each it's own, I like that the Pilot could unlock the rear this way. But I sure do like the look of the MDX way better.

2019 Touring AWD MSM
2016 Touring AWD MSM (traded-in)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts