Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

101 - 120 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
8,964 Posts
Lots of things can be used, from CRC to oven cleaner. The common denominator is a bit of elbow grease. :)

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
All I can say is if you dont protect your interests who will? A Honda dealership is in business to make money, some even selling you service that you don't currently need. Never heard one of them say.., "If your car were mine, this is what I would do." ...
Friend of a family has a 2006 BMW 328i. The dealership refused to change the ATF and wanted $10k for a new transmission. An independent shop told her the same thing. What's really bad is offered her a $1k for the car! I heard the story and about the transmission flares. Asked her if the ATF had ever been changed in 120k miles. The answer was no. BMW said it was lifetime fluid. Told her that we would change the fluid if she wanted to roll the dice. We drained the fluid dropped the pan. No metal shavings, just the normal clutch material. So we went forward. Changed out the shift solenoids and service the mechatronic unit. All toll, $675 worth of parts, fluid and filter pan. She's been driving it back and forth to work now for about a month with no flares and no CEL. Why do you suppose neither one of these places would do this service?
Of course the Honda dealership is in business to make money.
What business is in business to lose money?

As far as the various shops refusing to change the ATF, perhaps they've done that before on other higher mileage vehicles, after which the transmission failed and they were blamed for it.
They probably don't want to risk going down that road again.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #103 ·

As far as the various shops refusing to change the ATF, perhaps they've done that before on other higher mileage vehicles, after which the transmission failed and they were blamed for it.
FWIW, when I bought my former car (Lexus ISF) it had 126k miles on it, one of the first things I did was go to the dealer and get a transmission and differential fluid change. The transmission was sealed. They were more than happy to take my money, and up sell me on other services. Though my transmission was not showing any problems, I just did it as a prudent preventative maintenance measure. “lifetime fluid” yeah right

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Right, so I feel it necessary to keep their profits at a minimum. I'll buy the parts and do my own labor.
You may be right, but the truth is, installing a new transmission is what they wanted or hoping to force a trade, giving a very low price for your used vehicle. This car would be on the used car lot within a week.

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
“lifetime fluid” yeah right
Scotty, from back when he was mildly annoying yet still a hoot, but hadn't quite sold out yet (making videos always a hair over 10 minutes):

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Right, so I feel it necessary to keep their profits at a minimum. I'll buy the parts and do my own labor.

You may be right, but the truth is, installing a new transmission is what they wanted or hoping to force a trade, giving a very low price for your used vehicle. This car would be on the used car lot within a week.
Your $675 in parts plus free labor would probably be close to $2K at the dealer or other shop that charges for labor.
As a customer, would you be willing to "roll the dice" on $2K worth of work that might not fix the problem and which the dealer/shop will not stand behind?
Typically, repair shops will guaranty their work for some length of mileage and period of time.
What guaranty do you offer? Money back on the parts if it doesn't fix the problem?

A new transmission (at whatever the cost) will solve the problem and can be guaranteed.
The traded-in offer of $1K is probably about what the dealer could expect to get at auction for that 15-year-old BMW with 120K miles on it and a transmission problem
Either solution minimizes the risk for the dealer - including having an unhappy customer come back because an attempted repair failed.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
Your $675 in parts plus free labor would probably be close to $2K at the dealer or other shop that charges for labor.
As a customer, would you be willing to "roll the dice" on $2K worth of work that might not fix the problem and which the dealer/shop will not stand behind?
Typically, repair shops will guaranty their work for some length of mileage and period of time.
What guaranty do you offer? Money back on the parts if it doesn't fix the problem?

A new transmission (at whatever the cost) will solve the problem and can be guaranteed.
The traded-in offer of $1K is probably about what the dealer could expect to get at auction for that 15-year-old BMW with 120K miles on it and a transmission problem
Either solution minimizes the risk for the dealer - including having an unhappy customer come back because an attempted repair failed.
Your not getting it.
They told her she needed a new transmission. They lied. If they didn't want to do the work for any fear, say so.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Your not getting it.
They told her she needed a new transmission. They lied. If they didn't want to do the work for any fear, say so.
It's only been a month, so far.
Let's wait and see how long the repairs you did last.

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
It's only been a month, so far.
Let's wait and see how long the repairs you did last.
No metal in the filter pan, 6 new shift solenoids, new sealing sleeves, 7 Liters of fresh ZF-Lifeguard 6 fluid and a new filter pan. The problem went away. I would think if there were going to be a problem it would have by now.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
No metal in the filter pan, 6 new shift solenoids, new sealing sleeves, 7 Liters of fresh ZF-Lifeguard 6 fluid and a new filter pan. The problem went away. I would think if there were going to be a problem it would have by now.
It's still early.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #112 ·
So the overwhelming consensus thus far seems to be to go ahead with the 3x D&F. Also it may not be as bad as I initially thought. As I'm going over the carfax again, there are times when it says "vehicle serviced" at a Honda dealership, but it doesn't list anything specific that was done, particularly at 40,198 miles (carfax attached). It was serviced at a Honda dealership at least 8 times according to the carfax, and it seems unlikely to me that it would NEVER come up. Though the owner specifically told me he never did it. Also, while the fluid sample was black, i don't remember it smelling particularly foul.

But to reiterate my concerns about doing 3x D&F are more immediate. Right now I have a perfectly functioning car. If the transmission is already busted and I just can't tell, I wouldn't mind having the dirty fluid buy me some free time with the car until I have to cross that bridge. If the transmission fails in, say, a year, I can decide then if I want to invest thousands in a rebuilt transmission or if I just want to part the car out, and I got a solid year of a decent car for not that much money (relatively speaking). But if I do the 3x D&F this or next week, and the transmission starts slipping like crazy, I'll be pissed, because I'm $3045 deep into this thing ($2235 getting it fixed, $550 for the tires, $130 for the registration and $130 for the first month of insurance), and I'll have to make an immediate decision of whether or not to spend thousands getting it fixed, or parting it out. In other words, I'd rather face this ultimatum later than now, because if it's later, I at least get my own car for the summer (as opposed to sharing with the family). OTOH, doing this now can save me thousands in the future.

I should have the results from the blackstone labs analysis by Wednesday afternoon at the latest, and I'll post them here, and then make my final decision. But I'll very likely do at least 1x D&F regardless to get some new fluid in there. But I'm not gonna lie, seeing videos like this make me a bit apprehensive.

BTW, would it be a good idea to replace the transmission filter too? If so where can I source the part?

Attachments

·
Registered
8,964 Posts

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Oops, almost forgot...

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #115 ·

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Not quite sure what a "kit" includes extra, maybe a gasket or something? Meh, for the difference in price I'd just get a kit. Better to have unneeded little parts than missing parts.

But now you've got me wondering what the difference is between a "cartridge" kit and a spin-on type. I know starting after your model year the transmission filter became internal and essentially unserviceable, like on my 2006, but that on 2003s Honda had to fix some wonky transmissions by adding an external "jet pack" :D. Perhaps some members whose venerable 2003 are still on the road can chime in. :)

·
Registered
8,935 Posts
So the overwhelming consensus thus far seems to be to go ahead with the 3x D&F. Also it may not be as bad as I initially thought. As I'm going over the carfax again, there are times when it says "vehicle serviced" at a Honda dealership, but it doesn't list anything specific that was done, particularly at 40,198 miles (carfax attached). It was serviced at a Honda dealership at least 8 times according to the carfax, and it seems unlikely to me that it would NEVER come up. Though the owner specifically told me he never did it. Also, while the fluid sample was black, i don't remember it smelling particularly foul.

But to reiterate my concerns about doing 3x D&F are more immediate. Right now I have a perfectly functioning car. If the transmission is already busted and I just can't tell, I wouldn't mind having the dirty fluid buy me some free time with the car until I have to cross that bridge. If the transmission fails in, say, a year, I can decide then if I want to invest thousands in a rebuilt transmission or if I just want to part the car out, and I got a solid year of a decent car for not that much money (relatively speaking). But if I do the 3x D&F this or next week, and the transmission starts slipping like crazy, I'll be pissed, because I'm $3045 deep into this thing ($2235 getting it fixed, $550 for the tires, $130 for the registration and $130 for the first month of insurance), and I'll have to make an immediate decision of whether or not to spend thousands getting it fixed, or parting it out. In other words, I'd rather face this ultimatum later than now, because if it's later, I at least get my own car for the summer (as opposed to sharing with the family). OTOH, doing this now can save me thousands in the future.

I should have the results from the blackstone labs analysis by Wednesday afternoon at the latest, and I'll post them here, and then make my final decision. But I'll very likely do at least 1x D&F regardless to get some new fluid in there. But I'm not gonna lie, seeing videos like this make me a bit apprehensive.

BTW, would it be a good idea to replace the transmission filter too? If so where can I source the part?
Could you dab some ATF on a white cloth, post photo to give us an idea of what the transmission fluid looks like?
Yes, you can keep driving it, ignoring the fluid. It will not last forever, then you know you'll need to spend 4 grand. The shiny slivers of metal will be the end result. You can drain and fill 3-4 times, plus replace every solenoid and sensor with OEM (DIYing) and not spend anything close to that. It is a bit of rolling the dice. I am a little more optimistic if you say that the transmission has been serviced at some point.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #118 ·
Could you dab some ATF on a white cloth, post photo to give us an idea of what the transmission fluid looks like?
Yes, you can keep driving it, ignoring the fluid. It will not last forever, then you know you'll need to spend 4 grand. The shiny slivers of metal will be the end result. You can drain and fill 3-4 times, plus replace every solenoid and sensor with OEM (DIYing) and not spend anything close to that. It is a bit of rolling the dice. I am a little more optimistic if you say that the transmission has been serviced at some point.
I posted pics of the sample I sent to blackstone earlier in the thread but I’ll post them again:

·
Registered
8,964 Posts
Can somebody please explain why I'm suddenly in the mood for a pint of Guinness? :)

101 - 120 of 144 Posts