Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 144 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·
Ah yes, the rear latch. It's just one of those things you have to attend to on these vehicles.

For all he did, that cost seems more than reasonable. (y)
Yep, he's a really awesome guy. One of the few honest mechanics on NYC, with prices that are unbeatable. But I'm sure he's making up for his lower profit margin by the fact that he gets A LOT of business, for good reason. When I first brought my car to him he told me to bring it next week because he was so backed up. And he also does great body and painting work. And he's a 7 min walk from my house and right next my local subway station, so being super a convenient drop off for me makes it all the better!

Also, I'm a bit confused as to how much transmission fluid I should buy. If I do 3x Drain and Fill, am I buying 3 of these 1 gallon jugs? Is it (approx) 1 jug per D&F? This is a bit confusing to me because according to Google, the total capacity is 3.5 quarts, and you guys said that only 40% of the fluid comes out when draining. Or would a 1 gallon jug cover all 3 drain and refills?

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Also, I'm a bit confused as to how much transmission fluid I should buy. If I do 3x Drain and Fill, am I buying 3 of these 1 gallon jugs? Is it (approx) 1 jug per D&F? This is a bit confusing to me because according to Google, the total capacity is 3.5 quarts, and you guys said that only 40% of the fluid comes out when draining. Or would a 1 gallon jug cover all 3 drain and refills?
The total capacity is around 9 quarts. So one drain and fill of 3.5 quarts removes about 1/3 of the old fluid. Since it is not recommended to flush Honda transmissions, we remove the old fluid by dilution. After 3 D&Fs, the system will be around 80% new fluid. If you did a 4th, 90%.
To remove as much fluid as possible, I do my D&Fs of the ATF with no jack on the front end. Throw my pan under the front, reach in with my 3/8 ratchet (no socket), place it in the drain bolt and pull to break loose. Then I use a driver's side rear jack to lift. This will help drain another .3 quarts of fluid each time. So it is possible to use almost a whole jug each time. Some even use the whole gallon with one D&F.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
You might find the owner's manual to be a more reliable source of information than a random search result from Google.
If you didn't get a copy, download one here:
http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/OM/AH/A9V0303OM/enu/PI0303OM.PDF

·
Registered
8,933 Posts

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
The total capacity is around 9 quarts. So one drain and fill of 3.5 quarts removes about 1/3 of the old fluid. Since it is not recommended to flush Honda transmissions, we remove the old fluid by dilution. After 3 D&Fs, the system will be around 80% new fluid. If you did a 4th, 90%.
To remove as much fluid as possible, I do my D&Fs of the ATF with no jack on the front end. Throw my pan under the front, reach in with my 3/8 ratchet (no socket), place it in the drain bolt and pull to break loose. Then I use a driver's side rear jack to lift. This will help drain another .3 quarts of fluid each time. So it is possible to use almost a whole jug each time. Some even use the whole gallon with one D&F.
View attachment 148241
Added:
And just a reminder, after the 1st D&F, drive a few miles, warming the engine and transmission to operating temperature, mixing new fluid with old, then do a 2nd. Hopefully after the 2nd I yields a positive result. If so drive a few days 100+ miles if possible, do the 3rd.

Reactions: ConrodM

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Trust, but verify.
Or just pay out the nose and take it to the service dept. that would just say you need a new transmission. Desperate times requires desperate measures. Throw away the manual at this point lol.

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Or just pay out the nose and take it to the service dept. that would just say you need a new transmission. Desperate times requires desperate measures. Throw away the manual at this point lol.
Which service department so wronged you that it's left an indelible scar in your psyche so deep that you will forever be condemning each and every one of them as the embodiment of evil?

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Which service department so wronged you that it's left an indelible scar in your psyche so deep that you will forever be condemning each and every one of them as the embodiment of evil?
Now I know: the owner's manual says the 8.2 quarts is the total capacity, and 3.2 comes out during a change
Do you have a transmission cooler?
Does that include jacking up the left rear on level ground?

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
Do you have a transmission cooler?
Does that include jacking up the left rear on level ground?
Nope. I have no idea. I have neither the tools nor the competence to do this myself. Pending the results from blackstone, I'll take it to my mechanic for the drain and refills.

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
All I can say is if you dont protect your interests who will? A Honda dealership is in business to make money, some even selling you service that you don't currently need. Never heard one of them say.., "If your car were mine, this is what I would do." ...
Friend of a family has a 2006 BMW 328i. The dealership refused to change the ATF and wanted $10k for a new transmission. An independent shop told her the same thing. What's really bad is offered her a $1k for the car! I heard the story and about the transmission flares. Asked her if the ATF had ever been changed in 120k miles. The answer was no. BMW said it was lifetime fluid. Told her that we would change the fluid if she wanted to roll the dice. We drained the fluid dropped the pan. No metal shavings, just the normal clutch material. So we went forward. Changed out the shift solenoids and service the mechatronic unit. All toll, $675 worth of parts, fluid and filter pan. She's been driving it back and forth to work now for about a month with no flares and no CEL. Why do you suppose neither one of these places would do this service?

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
I have neither the tools nor the competence to do this myself.
Don't sell yourself short. All it takes is the willingness to learn. YouTube has saved me thousands. With the money you save, it buys lots of tools. 😁🔧
A drain and fill of the ATF is one of the easy ones. Real easy.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
8,964 Posts
Also, I'm a bit confused as to how much transmission fluid I should buy. If I do 3x Drain and Fill, am I buying 3 of these 1 gallon jugs? Is it (approx) 1 jug per D&F?
You can find the exact same elixir for substantially cheaper at Walmart.

hrow my pan under the front, reach in with my 3/8 ratchet (no socket), place it in the drain bolt and pull to break loose.
Hope you use and recommend best practice of loosening the fill bolt first (unless you fill through the dipstick port), you know, just so you don't find yourself up ATF Creek without a paddle. :)

. I have neither the tools nor the competence to do this myself. Pending the results from blackstone,
If lil' ol' pencil neck geek me can do it, so can you.

Friend of a family has a 2006 BMW 328i.
You had me at BM... :p

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
You can find the exact same elixir for substantially cheaper at Walmart.

Hope you use and recommend best practice of loosening the fill bolt first (unless you fill through the dipstick port), you know, just so you don't find yourself up ATF Creek without a paddle. :)

If lil' ol' pencil neck geek me can do it, so can you. View attachment 148257

You had me at BM... :p
Well that is if you dont have someone that knows a little about working on a Beamer. Otherwise I wouldn't own one myself. As Scotty says...

·
Registered
2016 Honda Pilot Elite AWD
29 Posts
Figured you guys would want juicy updates, and I have em. I got a transmission sample for blackstone, pics below. Will post the results when I get them back.

I just got it back from my mechanic and he did a lot of work on it, including but not limited to:
  • Changed timing belt, with new roller and tensioner
  • New water pump
  • Changed every other belt in the car
  • Coolant change
  • Spark plug change
  • Steering fluid change (fluid was black)
  • New Engine air and cabin air filter
  • New gasket kit
  • New right front axle (it was leaking a lot of grease)
  • New right front lower control arm
  • New alignment
  • painted the rusty tow hitch
  • popped out bumper dents
  • Fixed a some other ancillary issues that I won't bother you with the details of
Plus I got new tires all around before I took it to him. The frame has some minor surface rust but it is still perfectly safe. Car drives MUCH MUCH better. A lot of new life was breathed into it. Still needs new sway bar bushings and the A/C needs to be fixed, but we'll get to that later. My mechanic said he'll do whatever I want to do the the transmission, can see both sides of the issue. He said something like "old school guys say you shouldn't change it, new school say you should." Before I do anything, I want to see the results from blackstone

View attachment 148229
View attachment 148230
View attachment 148232

I used to like his channel a lot, but his videos have become increasingly trash, repetitive, and VERY click-baity. I unsubscribed a couple years ago.
What is the parts total cost?

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #98 ·
On Friday afternoon when I picked up my car, I was test driving it and about an hour later the check engine and VTM-4 light came on. Everything was behaving normally though, but the VTM-4 light gave me an idea to stop by my local Honda dealership before they closed to pick up VTM-4 fluid, which I'll have my mechanic change on Monday. Later that night as I was test driving it further, the VTM-4 light turned off on it's own (I'm guessing maybe that because the front right axle was recently replaced might have freaked out the computer, but then it realized it's fine?). I also ran the tank to empty and poured in techron fuel system cleaner (this is something I would've done before my next fill up regardless, I did it every 3000 miles on my former car).

Fast forward to this afternoon where I dropped by my local autozone to use their code reader to see what the remaining codes were, and they were all related to cylinder misfires: P1399, P0300, P0302, P0304. According to their diagnostic, I need a new EGR valve and to clean all EGR ports. You guys think that's true? I'll take it to my mechanic on Monday to be sure, but part of me feels like it has to do with my spark plugs just being replaced. The plugs were last replaced at 54K miles, meaning last plugs had 225k (!!!) miles on them. My mechanic also noted spark plugs were very difficult to get out, and were rusted in. The engine seems to be running smoothly. If the codes are reset, would they come back? I'm taking it to my mechanic Monday regardless, but I'd like to hear thoughts. Pic below.

Don't sell yourself short. All it takes is the willingness to learn. YouTube has saved me thousands. With the money you save, it buys lots of tools. 😁🔧
A drain and fill of the ATF is one of the easy ones. Real easy.
That's true. Slowly but surely I have gotten better at car maintenance over the years, but I'm taking baby steps. With my former car (Lexus ISF), I got to the point of replacing the engine air filter, cleaning the MAF, and clearing battery corrosion myself. I was very apprehensive about messing with it though because it was a rare car with a somewhat complicated engine (it had both port AND direct injection), and it was a big V8 shoehorned into a very small space. The Pilot seemed much easier to work on and I even saw the transmission fluid fill bolt when I was looking for the dipstick. So I'll probably take my own maintenance much further with this car

Good labor price. How about parts total?
The only other part I bought myself was a taillight, $50. He sourced the rest himself. So the total with me buying the taillight was $2235

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
8,964 Posts
81 - 100 of 144 Posts