Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend gave me his 2003 Pilot with 279K miles that his family has owned since new. Regularly maintained, but the transmission fluid was never changed. Car shifts perfectly fine. I am aware though that Honda/Acura V6 transmissions from this era can be spotty. I'd like to do it to prolong the car's life. I could see myself putting another 100K on this car. But I've read that changing your transmission fluid after a certain point can do more harm than good. I'm probably going to get a sample and send it to blackstone regardless. But I'd like to hear your thoughts

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
Change it for Valvoline Maxlife ATF: 3x drain and fill (not flush), driving it for a few miles hitting all gears between each D&F.

Might also want to ask your friend if he ever changed the timing belt. I'll need another bucket of popcorn for that.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,950 Posts
Is this because you think this post will stir up arguments or because you think my transmission will fail and its funny? If it's the latter, I won't care that much considering I got the car for free.
Neither really.
It was b/c I thought you'd get lots of good opinions.

FWIW- I've done 4 drain and fills (The honda method for ATF changes) on my 2008 Pilot.

4 d&f's after over 188K miles on the original! It's always shifted OK.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Neither really.
It was b/c I thought you'd get lots of good opinions.

FWIW- I've done 4 drain and fills (The honda method for ATF changes) on my 2008 Pilot.

4 d&f's after over 188K miles on the original! It's always shifted OK.
Alright then! I'm going to have my mechanic inspect the car tomorrow or next week, and also get a sample for me. If the car is otherwise mechanically sound I'd like to take it on a long road trip in a couple weeks (NYC to Miami, with long detours on the way back), so I'd feel a bit apprehensive of doing the drain/refill before that long trip, in case it messes up the trans. Thoughts?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I'd be more apprehensive of a NY to Miami trip if the timing belt has never been changed. You're on borrowed time. I'm not being facetious, I'm trying to be helpful.

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd be more apprehensive of a NY to Miami trip if the timing belt has never been changed. You're on borrowed time. I'm not being facetious, I'm trying to be helpful.
Timing belt was changed at the 75,000 mile major service. So were going on 200K for the current timing belt. Was there a fault in the original belts that would have been solved? How often should they be changed?

·
Registered
2,768 Posts
Timing belt was changed at the 75,000 mile major service. So were going on 200K for the current timing belt. Was there a fault in the original belts that would have been solved? How often should they be changed?
For best results Honda recommends 7yr/105K. IMO either way you're pushing your luck each time you start the vehicle

·
Registered
2003 Pilot EX-L silver
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
For best results Honda recommends 7yr/105K. IMO either way you're pushing your luck each time you start the vehicle
I'll get it changed ASAP then. On a side note, aren't Honda Engines "non-interference", meaning a broken timing belt wouldn't be catastrophic? Or is that only the K engine?

·
Registered
8,856 Posts
I'll get it changed ASAP then. On a side note, aren't Honda Engines "non-interference", meaning a broken timing belt wouldn't be catastrophic? Or is that only the K engine?
This is the kit you want to use. Avoid Gates.

Oops, almost forgot to tell you about the Piloteers 5% discount, and welcome you to the forum. Keep us posted. :)

5% Discount Code: 61F8C3AFDC21E1
Expires: May 12, 2021

Please enter this code in the ‘How Did You Hear about Us’ box to receive the discount. Please enter ONLY the discount code, no other words or numbers. All orders are placed online and the discount code must be entered before an order is submitted to receive the discount.

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Reminds me of an incident related by a neighbor who was a pediatric dentist.
A kid came into the office for some dental work and began to feel ill part way through the procedure.
The kid then proceeded to puke up all over the office what the dentist speculated had been the entire contents of "one of those giant supermarket-size bags of popcorn".

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I'll sit this one out. Looks like y'all got it under control.
MaxLife ATF
Timing Belt...

·
Registered
8,715 Posts
I'm dying, I said I'd stay out.

Reactions: ConrodM and aggrex
1 - 20 of 131 Posts