Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Dealer supposedly just ordered my EXL-NAV.
It should come in in the next 60 days accroding
to him. I have little reason to trust this guy
too much (I was told that the car was going
to be ordered a month ago by the salesman who
no longer works for the dealership. Did not happen :3:
I am dealing with the sales manager now).
My question is, when can I call him and expect
to be given the VIN number. Being burned ones,I
want to somehow be certain they don't sell my SUV
to a higher bidder when it arrives.
Also, is 60 days reasonable since the order
date (by the dealer) for manufacturing and delivery?
I do have their commitment in writing,
and perhaps I am being a bit paranoid,
but better to be safe this time.

Any clues?:confused:

·
Registered
162 Posts
I am curious, since we are from the same area, where you ordered your Pilot from? I ordered mine a month ago from Boch Honda in Norwood and don't expect to take delivery until mid-September or so. I have found them to be fair and straightforward so far. If you have a purchase and sales agreement in writing, I think you should be OK or at least I hope so, because I am in the same position as you. But a signed P&S and a deposit to boot is a legal transaction, so if they don't honor it, I think that they are in some big trouble legally. As far as the VIN is concerned, it is my understanding since I just spoke to my salesman last week about this very subject, as soon as they know what their allotment is for Sepember, as an example, and if you are up on the wait list and they get the car that you want in that allotment, they can then assign a VIN for you.
They should know what their September allotments will be any day now. That does not mean that they will be on their lot now, but they will know what is going to be built and what their dealership is going to getting.

I hope this helps. Keep us posted on how you make out. :cool:

·
Registered
152 Posts
kruzo said:
no longer works for the dealership. Did not happen :3:
I am dealing with the sales manager now).
My question is, when can I call him and expect
to be given the VIN number. Being burned ones,I
want to somehow be certain they don't sell my SUV
to a higher bidder when it arrives.
Also, is 60 days reasonable since the order
date (by the dealer) for manufacturing and delivery?
I do have their commitment in writing,
and perhaps I am being a bit paranoid,
but better to be safe this time.

Any clues?:confused:
You won't get the VIN till it's made.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
chiquita said:
I am curious, since we are from the same area, where you ordered your Pilot from? I ordered mine a month ago from Boch Honda in Norwood and don't expect to take delivery until mid-September or so.
Thanks! The Honda I am dealing with is in southern
NH, not Boch. I did talk to Boch as well, and I
liked them (they claim to have the biggest alotment in the area),
but at the time the NH guys
promissed shorter delivery time, which seemed
consistent with the fact that they are in NH, not
Boston. Of course, when it sounds too good to be
true... I think they actually sold my Pilot to someone
last week when the sales guy who sold it
to me left the company. No ways to verify it.

The only thing I did not like about Boch is their
DIO prices. Then again, they don't force them,
so if you don't need any -- no problems.

I have the P&S signed a month ago (which says
nothing about the delivery date)
I have a fax from the old sales guy, promissing
delivery within 60 days. They apologized for it,
and said the guy is gone, and there is no car.
I had them sign a new statment yesterday (signed
by the sales manager) that calls for delivery
before Sept 30th.

Seems like not much you can ask for, but somehow
I still don't feel very confident... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6 Posts
My understanding is that the dealers applied for their September allotment of cars in the last few weeks. Then last week they were notified which cars they will receive. I found out last week that the Pilot I ordered made the September allotment for the dealership I'm working with. However, the build dates will not be assigned till about mid August and the VIN won't be available till after that. It sounds like your dealership happened to order another Pilot for the September allotment just like the one you were going to buy from the August allotment. Or, they plan on doing a trade with another dealer. I would call the dealer in a couple of weeks and see if you can get the build date.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Freshly ordered. When will I have the VIN?
no longer works for the dealership. Did not happen
\\

HI, I work at a Honda dealership in Louisiana and have to tell you that if the vehicle is to be made in Sept. the earliset you would have a VIN is about 2 weeks before delivery. VINS are assigned only at production time of vehicle. approx. 2 weeks after production, your dealer will have your Pilot.

BTW, We actually have a couple in stock.

Good luck

·
Registered
900 Posts
When will you know VIN

Yes we just visited the dealer tonight and asked about when they know the VIN. Our build date is 8/11. He said they don't know the VIN until it's actually built. Then it arrives at the dealer approx. 2 weeks later.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update

Here is the update.
After a few phone calls to the sales manager ("sorry, I am
not in my office right now, call me back later"), today I finally
got the build date -- Sept 28. Mind you, I have a fax with
his signature stating that I will take delivery before Sept 30.
"So -- we'll be late by a few days. I have no control over it"
That's all he had to say:3: I've order the car on June 20 with
the original promise of delivery in 60 days (in writing).
Best case scenario -- I will get my car in 120 days
:16:

This must be the worst car buying experience of my life. That's
including dealing with used car dealers in my younger years.

The sales guy, knowing that I am upset, kept telling me that
it's "up to me" to decide what to do next, meaning that if
I decide to "walk" he'll understand. Obviously he knows I
won't -- if I start over, I wont get the car till November around
here. And if do -- there will be someone else for this truck
It feels ****ty to be taken advantage of like this, with
no recourse.:3: :3: :3:
Do I have any recourse?!? Any vendetta plans?:11: Am
I overreacting?:13:

I feel so ****ty, I am almost ready
to go buy a Toyota Sequoia

·
Registered
30 Posts
I understand your frustration, but isn't a few more days worth it for your Pilot?

Anticipation can be a good thing. Just think how much more you will appreciate your Pilot, knowing you had to wait so long for her!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Here is what I would do. I would keep them on target to get the vehicle in. In the meantime, check with dealers around a fairly large area on a regular basis. If one becomes available due to a change, cancellation, or other surprise (yes, it does happen) then drop your current deal and go get the one that is available. That's about all you can do, unless you truly do want a Sequoia.

Chris

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Chris,
This is exactly what I did. Today I decided --
if I can negotiate a accessories deal for a bunch
of people I've never met, can't I negotiate
myself a Pilot little sooner? :mad:

So I did. :2: Another dealer in NH agreed to sell me their unsold SS EXLNAV. ETA -- Sept 12!
MUCH nicer sounding on the phone too. They wouldn't
come down on the price of the options, but
they agreed to install the accessories that I mail order from my own
supplier. Weird, but this will satisfy their company policy, or something.

I just got a faxed copy of the Purchasing agreement. Things are looking up!

So, if you're in the same position I was --
stop being a victim! :2:

xyzzy said:
Here is what I would do. I would keep them on target to get the vehicle in. In the meantime, check with dealers around a fairly large area on a regular basis.
Chris

·
Registered
389 Posts
Based on my experienced with Priceline.com I got my VIN number in writing within 2 business days of my offer acceptance.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Kruzo,

Good to hear the news. Anything done to get that Pilot home quicker is worth the effort! Now to start marking the days of that calendar. Just like a kid waiting for Christmas.

Chris

·
Registered
509 Posts
xyzzy said:
Here is what I would do. I would keep them on target to get the vehicle in. In the meantime, check with dealers around a fairly large area on a regular basis. If one becomes available due to a change, cancellation, or other surprise (yes, it does happen) then drop your current deal and go get the one that is available. That's about all you can do, unless you truly do want a Sequoia.

Chris
Chris is absolutely right here! I've been staying in touch with local dealers for about the past 90 days since we placed our order for the Pilot - always checking to see if one came available sooner.

I'm amazed at the amount of Pilots that are getting "turned down". Here are some of the reasons that I've been hearing:

1. MODEL UPGRADE - e.g. ordered LX, but when it arrive, they decided they wanted to upgrade to the higher models - EX, EX-L, RES or NAVI.

2. MODEL DOWNGRADE - e.g. Duh! Opposite of above. I've found this case to be more rare than #1 but there has been at least 1 case that I'm aware of.

3. COLOR CHANGE - Apparently lots of this going on. Color comes in, customer doesn't like it, so they give it up and go back on the list. Of customer changes their mind before the Pilot even comes in.

4. REJECTED FINANCING - Could have had a Black EX-L like this. Customer couldn't get financed. Dealer called and told me I could have it by noon if I wanted it.

I'm aware of at least a 1/2 dozen "back-outs" in the local area from calling around to different dealers that we could have purchased. Unfortunately, none of them were what we wanted.

So my point is, that its probably more likely than you might think!

:8:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Pilots turned down

Our dealer said there had been a lot of that, too. That's why they justified the 'high' deposit amount, $1000. Since this is my first Honda purchase (I almost bought an Accord in , um, '79 but the cocky Honda dealer turned me off) I don't know what is customary.
They said that at lower amounts (perhaps on other cars, not just Pilots) folks were putting deposits down at several dealers, then waiting till they came in to see them, and turning several down.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Guess what

Well, guess what, just got a call from my
NEW friendly dealer that my Pilot has been
built on the 21 of Aug. My guess is they will
have a VIN by Tue :2:

SOOO, on Monday I am going to order A LOT of
accessories :4:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Please understand the whole deposit thing. We take $1000 deposits for CRV, Odysseys, Pilots, and S-2000. Here is the reasoning.

First off, it will keep people from laying down money at several dealerships for the first one in. (hopefully anyway) Here is an angle from my side. When you put a deposit down, you have entered into an agreement with the salesman that you are in fact, are sold.
Nothing has been signed, all you have is a receipt. But the salesperson has spent time and energy earning your business.

Every deposit I take comes with an approxamate time of delivery. If I was dishonest in this aspect, then at that point, I could understand a disloyal customer. But I never have a reason to be dishonest. We have allocations, so I know exactly what vehicle and model I am reserving for my customer.

I hope this helps a little. I have earned customers from other dealers that have pushed back customers for reasons I don't know. So I do know it happens. Good luck!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts