Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a lot about forced options. I've never had anyone try to force an option on me, so I guess I am a bit unseasoned here. What exactly do they do to force you to buy something you don't want? Do they spring it on you at the last minute? Tell you that you have to purchase it or you can't have the vehicle?

I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences, if you don't mind.

Might be a good "word to the wise" for those of us unprepared for this style of ambush salesmanship.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
173 Posts
copperpoppy...

Some typical examples of forced options...

One poster recently reported a "collision package" consisting of rear mud guards, pinstripes, and some type of paint treatment... all for only $ 695 or so;

Some dealers add an "appearance package", sometimes charging nearly $1,000 for little more than wax and scotchguard;

In extreme cases, dealers have been known to load up new cars with dealer-installed options and claim that the vehicles "came that way from the factory".

Other dealers are more up--front about extra profit. They simply add thousands of dollars to the purchase price and call it a "market adjustment."

A smart buyer will avoid these types of :11: dealers.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: copperpoppy...

ChiefPilot said:
In extreme cases, dealers have been known to load up new cars with dealer-installed options and claim that the vehicles "came that way from the factory". *** A smart buyer will avoid these types of :11: dealers.
Are these on cars which were specifically ordered for the customer? Or, were they cars that were already existing on the lot? If they were already on the lot, then it seems the dealership has the right to ehance their stock to accomodate prospective buyers from a variety of financial backgrounds and if someone wanted a car from that stock, they would have to purchase what the dealer had available - and pay for the extras.

If, on the other hand, it was a vehicle that was specifically ordered FOR the customer and it suddenly appears with extras the customer didn't order, then it would seem to me that the dealership has a duty to remove these extras if possible or eat the cost. I would not allow myself to sit there and be taken advantage of like that. No vehicle is worth that.

I hate to think that anyone was subjected to such cheap tactics.

How awful!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Copperpoppy,

Many of us went through the same issues when purchasing the MDX, you may want to check out the sister site acuramdx.org.

The first dealer I went to charged msrp for the car, but more than twice for the accessories. They packaged every car with $3K of accessories which were only worth $1K. They also offered a ridiculously low amount for our trade-in. They told lies. Said that prices on Acura website were wrong :rolleyes: , etc.

I had been waiting for 3 months and was days away from having the car, but I just couldn't give them my money!

Started over with another dealer who was the opposite of the first. I had to wait 5 more months, but I felt good about the purchase.

A few weeks after I walked away from first 'X I saw someone with one at my local supermarket. I approached and asked how she liked it. She mentioned where she bought. I said we had refused to buy from them. She said "we just had a baby and needed a bigger car so we paid what they asked" :rolleyes: .

We had also added to our family, but we put up with our old car for a few more months. If people keep buying from these weasel dealers they will never change. If you get an attitude WALK AWAY, DO NOT give them your money.

I don't really have an opinion on the subject, do I :D :D

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ms. MDX said:
The first dealer I went to charged msrp for the car, but more than twice for the accessories. They packaged every car with $3K of accessories which were only worth $1K. They also offered a ridiculously low amount for our trade-in. They told lies. Said that prices on Acura website were wrong :rolleyes: , etc.
WHAT!!! You've got to be kidding me. They said the Acura website was wrong? DUH!! IncrediBULL!

I had been waiting for 3 months and was days away from having the car, but I just couldn't give them my money!
GOOD FOR YOU!!! I wouldn't have either.

Started over with another dealer who was the opposite of the first. I had to wait 5 more months, but I felt good about the purchase.
I will be getting my Pilot in a couple weeks and I can assure you, as thrilled and passionate as I am about getting my Pilot, if they spring extras at me, or play silly games, I'm leaving.

A few weeks after I walked away from first 'X I saw someone with one at my local supermarket. I approached and asked how she liked it. She mentioned where she bought. I said we had refused to buy from them. She said "we just had a baby and needed a bigger car so we paid what they asked" :rolleyes: .
She allowed herself to be a victim. Hard to sympathize with that.

We had also added to our family, but we put up with our old car for a few more months. If people keep buying from these weasel dealers they will never change. If you get an attitude WALK AWAY, DO NOT give them your money.
I couldn't agree more.

I don't really have an opinion on the subject, do I :D :D
(choking and coughing furiously) Why, uh, no. :8:

·
Registered
34 Posts
in most cases, "forced options", in our experience, meant you can buy the car itself at MSRP but you have to purchase x, y, and z accessories. some dealers created "packages", i.e. three or four options they put together, some did it more a la carte, i.e. running boards or this rack or that cargo thing, etc.

several dealers would only do the forced option thing on cars that were already on the lot, some required it with any pilot, there or not.

one or two said "you need to buy N dollars worth of accessories/options, but we'll let you choose which ones you want so you don't pay for things you don't want." which i thought was a little more reasonable, but still annoying considering the base car was still at MSRP.

copperpoppy said:
I've read a lot about forced options. I've never had anyone try to force an option on me, so I guess I am a bit unseasoned here. What exactly do they do to force you to buy something you don't want? Do they spring it on you at the last minute? Tell you that you have to purchase it or you can't have the vehicle?

I'd like to hear some first-hand experiences, if you don't mind.

Might be a good "word to the wise" for those of us unprepared for this style of ambush salesmanship.

Thanks in advance...

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Re: Re: Forced Options??

joshr said:
... one or two said "you need to buy N dollars worth of accessories/options, but we'll let you choose which ones you want so you don't pay for things you don't want." which i thought was a little more reasonable, but still annoying considering the base car was still at MSRP.
Oh my .. how awful!

Forgive me for being naive but, why did you continue on with the purchase? Did you feel that this was wrong or perhaps were planning on buying those accessories anyway? Did you wait an excessively long time and were just tired of waiting? Were you tempted to walk away?

You know, in all truth, I am not sure what I would do if placed into the same position. I know what I'd like to do(G) but, I haven't been put into that position - so I'm not sure how I really would react.

I will be picking up my baby soon ... so IF I am placed in that position, you and everyone else will know about it. I'd be screamin' like a stepped-on cat. :17:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Forced Options??

i actually got my pilot for MSRP and got the one option i wanted, running boards, for less than MSRP. nothing else. in fact the dealer i went to gives everyone wheel locks for free, so i came out ahead (not by much, but hey!).

copperpoppy said:

Oh my .. how awful!

Forgive me for being naive but, why did you continue on with the purchase? Did you feel that this was wrong or perhaps were planning on buying those accessories anyway? Did you wait an excessively long time and were just tired of waiting? Were you tempted to walk away?

You know, in all truth, I am not sure what I would do if placed into the same position. I know what I'd like to do(G) but, I haven't been put into that position - so I'm not sure how I really would react.

I will be picking up my baby soon ... so IF I am placed in that position, you and everyone else will know about it. I'd be screamin' like a stepped-on cat. :17:

·
Registered
173 Posts
CopperPoppy

copperpoppy said:

I'd be screamin' like a stepped-on cat. :17:

Never heard that one before... I love it!

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: Re: Re: Forced Options??

joshr said:
i actually got my pilot for MSRP and got the one option i wanted, running boards, for less than MSRP. nothing else. in fact the dealer i went to gives everyone wheel locks for free, so i came out ahead (not by much, but hey!).
Looks like you did quite well. What's the name of your dealer? You might want to share that with the others.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: CopperPoppy

ChiefPilot said:
Never heard that one before... I love it!

:29:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts