Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to follow the Zaino thread,
but frankly this is a bit too much for me.

I mean, specially ordered cotton terry cloth
MADE IN USA? How about Egyptian Cotton in a
Turkish Ralph Lauren towel, will THAT
do??? C'mon people.

Anyway, I don't mind others having their fun --
I once did too when I got my first Acura in
Milano Red.

But, my upcoming EXL is ordered in SS,
exactly so that I can spend weekend IN it,
as opposed to out of it with a terry cloth in
hand.

Nevertheless, I do want to do what's possible,
within reason, to preserve the paint.

From what I gather, the best way to do that, other
then waxing it with carnauba every 3 weeks, is to
us some kind of Polymer protectant/sealer.
Here are the choices that seem to pup up:
1. Nu Finish. Seems like people people either
like it or hate it. Consumer Reports likes it.
Apparently shine is not great, but it lasts 6
month or more, perhaphs longer then anything else
out there. On light cars seems to be fine.
2. Zaino. I guess no need to comment. If one
ignores the 12 step process, and simply washes
and seals the paint, should do the trick as good
as anything. The only problem -- they do say that
the more cover layers you put on, the better.
How many is enough though? Can
get pretty annoying unless you're into it.
3. Klasse. Acrylic stuff that supposedly lasts
6 month or so. One shot application, no buffing.
Made in Germany. So far, sounds like the winner.
20 Bucks for the sealer. There is also a "shiner"
if desired that can be applied on top. Ditto for
carnauba.
4. Dealer (Aftermarket detail shop) applied
synthetitic stuff, such as PermaPlate and others.
Warrantied for years if re-applied annually. No
personal experience. Apparently is way overpriced
when sold by the dealer, but can be found at
local detailers as well at more reasonable cost.

Any experience/opinions to share? Still trying
to decide on the best (most efficient) course
of action. As stated before:
pain protection is the main concern, nice shine
is a bonus.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wash & wax. That's it. That is all I do, all I have ever done, and my cars have always looked great. I do use a specific car wash liquid (not dish liquid) and have used either Meguiar's Gold Class liquid wax or Nu Finish for waxing. If I'm using the Meguiar's I wax once a quarter. If I use Nu Finish, twice a year. I have only had to use a cleaner (Meguiar's) once time on a car as a step inbetween the two mentioned above because the paint started to feel a little rough to the touch (note that I usually keep a car about 6-10 years). Everyone has their level of interest in car care, but I'm much more inclined to spend time with under the hood maintenance than with paint care. Don't get me wrong, I like my cars to look great, it's just that the above regimen has always worked great for me and haven't needed to do anything more. Just my .02...

Chris

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Why we picked HB

Wife says of all the colors it will show the least drit! :)

We actually like light metalic blue first, dark metalic blue second.

·
Registered
143 Posts
recovering from Zaino

I am a recovering Zainoholic. I was swept away with their product on my '02 Nighthawk Black Acura TL-S. I did notice a marked improvement in the shine, richness on that particular color using Zaino polymer and it was not complicated to apply. HOWEVER

Now I own an Evergreen Pearl EX-L. I applied the Zaino to it, and it really didn't make much of a visual difference to me at all. My wifes Silver CRV is the same way using Zaino. The beauty of silver is that it doesn't show dirt very well vs. black which is so difficult to keep clean. SO

My suggestion: Use whatever products you feel comfortable. I'm sure as long as it's kept washed and maintained it will look great. With Silver--no need to carry a California Duster of set or 100% cotton rags on you at all times.

Oh, and DO NOT pay for an aftermarket shop to do an overpriced synthetic wax job on your wallet.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Re: recovering from Zaino

Spartanman said:
Oh, and DO NOT pay for an aftermarket shop to do an overpriced synthetic wax job on your wallet.
LOL. 'synthetic wax job on your wallet' -- excellent point spartanman.

·
Admin Du Jour ®
989 Posts
kruzo,

Based on what you're looking for, I'd do Klasse All-in-One. Best quality-protection-price-longevity-hassle quotient.

If you decide you want a better shine, you could use their sealant glaze or a carnauba topper. Or switch to Zaino, of course.

·
Registered
389 Posts
First of all I will be honest and say I am lazy and I do NOT like waxing my car. I usually get it washed and detailed once a year.
My advise is to garage it. I have a Five year old van (two tone) and a seven year old black car, the colors are still good and haven't faded away. But is it showroom like color/new.......NO but not bad.

Hats OFF to all!
:6:

·
Registered
11,113 Posts
I agree about the Zaino thread. I find Finish First Polish much easier to use, comparing what I've read about Zaino and experienced with Finish First. It's some sort of synthetic, which I've used for a couple of years now. Check out http://www.finishfirstpolish.com

My Pilot's Silver, and I agree with the sales dude that Silver is even easier to keep "looking clean" than white.

·
Registered
385 Posts
I went the Zaino route on the Pilot and am pleased. Didn't really find it as involved, confusing as I expected it to be. Since the car was brand new, I skipped the clay bar stuff.

I do plan on continuing to use McGuiar's (is this not the most mispelled word on every auto website??) on my Passat.

While I am pleased with the results with the Zaino, there is an extremely important factor as to why I will continue using it on the Pilot... and that is the LACK OF RESIDUE. Since our Pilot is black, and the body design/side moldings have lots of grooves, the polish (as opposed to wax) looks alot cleaner when done. That white residue stands out so much on dark cars & its a pain to get it all off.

Just something that should be considered in the equation.

·
Registered
664 Posts
You know I am a Meguairs fan and have used it on several vehicles now. I liked their 3 step process when they came out with it. The Polish and Wax steps went really fast. With the Pilot I will still be using the Polish and Gold Class Wax(It's a Polymer, not Carnuba - so it lasts longer like the Zaino) with the cleaner when necessary. Being Silver I hope it doesn't have to be done too often. That darn this is a lot bigger than the Tacoma it replaced.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
davemac said:

While I am pleased with the results with the Zaino, there is an extremely important factor as to why I will continue using it on the Pilot... and that is the LACK OF RESIDUE. Since our Pilot is black, and the body design/side moldings have lots of grooves, the polish (as opposed to wax) looks alot cleaner when done. That white residue stands out so much on dark cars & its a pain to get it all off.

Just something that should be considered in the equation.
Meguires Hi-Tech Yellow Wax 26 is claimed to leave no white
residue. From what I am hearing, you need 3-4 applications
of Zaino in order to get the same gloss as 1 layer of this carnouba/polymer blend.
Have not tried it myself. I am going with Klasse and
some good carnauba on rare occasions when I want it to shine.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Go to the Detailers forum at Autopia.
http://autopia.ws/forums/index.php

I did a lot of research there after buying a red 98 Supra twin turbo. I decided on Klasse All-In-One and Sealant Glaze. A few different places exist online that sell Klasse. Classic Motoring Accessories sell Klasse and are a sponsor of the Autopia site.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts