Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
778 Posts
That one & 3M win it for Project Farm. Looks like you did a Great Job!!!
Wondering how it will handle the Florida sun?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I purchased the Cerakote kit off Amazon and am happy with the results. It came with 2000 and 3000 grit paper I believe. I might have gotten a tad better result starting with some 1000 grit. But again, overall I am happy.
Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Car Vehicle Grille
Automotive parking light Car Automotive side marker light Vehicle Grille

·
Registered
44 Posts
Put me down for Ceracoat. Worked great on my Pilot and wife's mini van.
I polished the lights on my Accord and they listed 3 years. I will usually polish them once, and replace about 3 years later.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was told about using Off Deep Woods Bug Repellant (guess you could use any brand with deet) to clean headlights and just like all of you reading this said, "You are crazy!" I had the right lens on my 2004 Pilot get hazy and had a can of Off on the counter so I gave it a try. I was blown away as to how it took the yellowish tint right off and made it look 100% better. I'm sure that it would fade over time, but it was a quick fix. I assume that it's the deet that does the magic. Give it a try and let me know if you all get the same result.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Any way to clean foggy headlights or do I have to completely replace them with new ones - OEM or are there any good after-market if have to completely replace ?
There are many videos out there to show you how to do it. There are also local companies that will do it too. Some aftermarket headlight assemblies are decent too. Check online.

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
127 Posts
Any way to clean foggy headlights or do I have to completely replace them with new ones - OEM or are there any good after-market if have to completely replace ?
Cleaning is not the problem. The lenses are adequate of polycarbonate, a tough plastic. Pycarbonate though breaks down when exposed to UV light coming from the sun.

The only way to fix this is to sand the yellowed polycarbonate off of the lens. The best way to do this is using the 3M headlight restoration kit. The key is their Trizact abrasive. Many tests show this kit to be the best on the market. Expect to spend $30.

I have used these kits for 10+ years now. They work quite well if you carefully follow the directions and take your time.
Results if you are careful will be close to new. The top tier 3M kit includes a ceramic loaded wax to apply when done polishing. This wilI provide a thin layer of UV protection and should be reapplied every 6 months or so

Others suggest a urethane clear coat that is then sanded and polished to get rid of the orange peel. This would be very nice, but extreme. Pilot's are not collectible Lambo's or the like. Just reapply the wax....

Good luck

Astrobuf

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just ordered 2 brand new lens housing assemblies from rock auto. Will post before and after photos in another thread after I get them installed. original housings are so trashed polishing can no longer help and one of them has gotten really bad with moisture on the inside.
I am still able to get a good clean on my civic's headlights with simple polishing compound and hand buff with any rag.
3M hard plastic polish is the ultimate finish after the initial compound treatment
Good luck. I ordered two aftermarket's from EBay and had them installed at a body shop. They couldn't adjust them as there wasn't enough thread left in the adjusters. Bad day in WuHan I guess. I got new ones and they came perfectly aligned. I'd re-polished the originals twice before.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
131 Posts
I just ordered 2 brand new lens housing assemblies from rock auto. Will post before and after photos in another thread after I get them installed. original housings are so trashed polishing can no longer help and one of them has gotten really bad with moisture on the inside.
can’t wait to see your post about RA’s replacement units.

I am in same boat with my originals. Did 2 thorough resto’s and the nice clear results eventually dulled.

Considering the RA replacements now. A bit of a project to pull bumper cover etc to change them out but I think it is worth it if you a going to keep it long term.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2006 exl and polishing didn't last for me. I got new lenses on eBay for $125 and it was not that hard to install. The manual said it was a 2 man job. I had no problem doing it by myself. Looks new from social distance..

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
I was told about using Off Deep Woods Bug Repellant (guess you could use any brand with deet) to clean headlights and just like all of you reading this said, "You are crazy!" I had the right lens on my 2004 Pilot get hazy and had a can of Off on the counter so I gave it a try. I was blown away as to how it took the yellowish tint right off and made it look 100% better. I'm sure that it would fade over time, but it was a quick fix. I assume that it's the deet that does the magic. Give it a try and let me know if you all get the same result.
Haven't tried it myself, but from what I've read, you get amazing results at first, but then they fade again amazingly fast.

Post pics from before if you have some, from now, and in six months from now.

But for 'skeeters, the only thing that beats DEET is a well-timed swat.
Automotive lighting Flash photography Gas Electric blue Event

·
Registered
1 Posts
I completely replaced them

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, you could spend $160 for a pair at Rockauto and be done with it for the rest of the life of the vehicle or re-do them every 3 or 4 years at $30 a kit. My outside parked Corolla went 10 years before I just said screw it and replaced them. Depends on how you value your time

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Haven't tried it myself, but from what I've read, you get amazing results at first, but then they fade again amazingly fast.

Post pics from before if you have some, from now, and in six months from now.

But for 'skeeters, the only thing that beats DEET is a well-timed swat. View attachment 153709
Or….. a BUG-A-SALT 3.0. Also shines for knocking out flies while BBQ’ng 😁👍👍

·
Premium Member
778 Posts
Going on Road trip this week in Pilot and needed to get headlights cleaned up. 3M Kit from amazon for delivery tomorrow along with using rewards for a $0.00 cost made the choice for me. 😊👍👍. The immediate urgency was due to Fishing and the quest to make the best St. Louis ribs taking precedence of my time. 🤭😂. Will let y’all know how long it lasts in the Sunshine State. I would rather have tried the Sylvania Kit but wouldn’t receive until Friday 😳

21 - 40 of 41 Posts