Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any way to clean foggy headlights or do I have to completely replace them with new ones - OEM or are there any good after-market if have to completely replace ?

·
Registered
2011 Honda Pilot, original owner
50 Posts
Perhaps try some plastic polish on them:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Perhaps try some plastic polish on them:

Thx so much. I am going to get your recommended plastic polish and use it in conjunction with this that I found on YouTube - kind of best of both so they should come out really good.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Thx so much. I am going to get your recommended plastic polish and use it in conjunction with this that I found on YouTube - kind of best of both so they should come out really good.

This is good, I’d just recommend a 2k clear like spraymax instead. It’s a bit more but will be significantly more durable and last longer.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is this the right stuff ?

View attachment 153603
Yep yep! You take that red cap on the top, put it under the can, press down on it and it pops a separate container inside the can mixing the two parts, similar to professional 2 part urethane. It’s significantly more durable than a 1k clear. Once it’s popped though you usually only have about 48hrs to use it before it hardens in the can.

·
Registered
2007 Pilot EXL, 2012 Civic LX, 2007 VTX1300C
321 Posts
I just ordered 2 brand new lens housing assemblies from rock auto. Will post before and after photos in another thread after I get them installed. original housings are so trashed polishing can no longer help and one of them has gotten really bad with moisture on the inside.
I am still able to get a good clean on my civic's headlights with simple polishing compound and hand buff with any rag.
3M hard plastic polish is the ultimate finish after the initial compound treatment

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,625 Posts
Unfortunately mine are pretty bad. I’ve polished and sanded and done all that but I think I’m goin to buy some cheap ones from Amazon. Not planning to keep the car for another 5 years so long term durability isn’t a huge concern.

·
Registered
89 Posts
My originals were starting to oxidize on the interior of the lens as well. For ~$100 I just bought new ones. On other cars I’ve done wet sanding and clear costing successfully.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
131 Posts
Second gen -

I have done two different methods of headlight restoration.

3M kit with progressive sanding/polishing and coating.

Progressive sanding/polishing and rattle can urethane coating.

Neither last more 6 to eight months or looking clear and good. Only use these to expect a clear appearance temporarily.

The only was to permanently fix is to change out with good aftermarket ones. I hear most are satisfied with RA aftermarket offerings. The look almost identical to OEM.

Maybe others with first hand experience can chime in.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Second gen -

I have done two different methods of headlight restoration.

3M kit with progressive sanding/polishing and coating.

Progressive sanding/polishing and rattle can urethane coating.

Neither last more 6 to eight months or looking clear and good. Only use these to expect a clear appearance temporarily.

The only was to permanently fix is to change out with good aftermarket ones. I hear most are satisfied with RA aftermarket offerings. The look almost identical to OEM.

Maybe others with first hand experience can chime in.
clear coating after polish provides a longer term solution

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts

Cerakote would outperform -- and especially outlast -- them all, I have the inkling, if he included it in a new test.

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
131 Posts
For success, urethane clear coat needs to be applied with an air sprayer with multiple coats and then sanded and polished. Not a process that many DIYers have the tools and ability to achieve lasting results.

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
778 Posts
Cerakote would outperform -- and especially outlast -- them all, I have the inkling, if he included it in a new test.

Are you trying Cerakote?
Inquiring minds want to know 😱

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,532 Posts
Are you trying Cerakote?
Inquiring minds want to know 😱
As soon as I can make a hassle-free border run. I'm vaxed to the max. :)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CERAKOTE...Like-New-Condition-3-Easy-Steps-No-/335714833

cerakote | Walmart Canada

Shouldn't be long, now.

Not only would Florida's snowbird economy crater, but Niagara Falls, NY and for some reason Montana's, too.
Font Symmetry Art Pattern Electric blue

Closure of U.S. land border may hamper Canadians' winter travel plans once again, experts say

Leaders in Niagara Falls stress 'urgent need' to reopen US border to Canadians

·
Premium Member
2005 Pilot EXL- 227,700 Miles
778 Posts
You could come in our southern border -It’s wide open! and you don’t even have to be vaxxed! 🤣. Might even give you $1400 of spending money

·
Registered
146 Posts
I like having the drill accessory from this kit: Meguiar's
Although, I did go buy extra 5000grit paper as it took a while to get mine ready for the polish.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts