Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Fog Lights Turn Off and On While Headlights are On

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  asul 
#1 ·
Hello! My 2008 Honda pilot for the last couple of months has been having some issues with the fog lights! The relays in the front of the car have been replaced and the relay for the fog lights on the passenger side electrical box are making good contact. When I’m driving the fog lights go off and they come back on and they go off again or when I turn on the highbeams and turn it back the fog lights won’t come back on, any ideas? Thank you 🙏

#2 ·
The fog lights are designed to turn off with the high beams are activated. If the fog lights do not come back on when the high beams are turned off I suspect that the switch in the column is going bad. If that is the problem, not sure how expensive that fix would be.

Here is a selection of replacement switches with various prices. Less than $100 for the part.

If you are a DIY'er this might help.

#3 ·
The fog lights are designed to turn off with the high beams are activated. If the fog lights do not come back on when the high beams are turned off I suspect that the switch in the column is going bad. If that is the problem, not sure how expensive that fix would be.

Here is a selection of replacement switches with various prices. Less than $100 for the part.

If you are a DIY'er this might help.
Thank you very much for your insight! Really appreciate it!

#4 ·
I’m guessing this has been done:
1) Verify the relay that you mentioned in the passenger side fuse/relay box is good.
2) Verify continuity from the output side of the combination switch to the relay above (coil side of relay).

I suspect @Daltongang ‘s diagnosis is likely correct but what I suggested should be relatively easy to check given you know the location of the relay.

Keep us posted with the fix when this gets resolved.

Reactions: plplplpl
#7 · (Edited)
Oh, and exercise caution fiddling around near those airbag wires. It has been advised to disconnect the battery negative cable from its post and then wait a good 10 minutes first.

Cartoon Organism Gesture Art Fictional character

#9 ·
Hi All! Firstly thank you to all for your time and insight, sincerely appreciate it! Special shout-out to @Daltongang for first giving the idea regarding changing out the dimmer switch…because it worked! I now turn on and off my fog lights like a lunatic! Special shout-out to @plplplpl for advising to disconnect the battery. How I went about this…
1) turn steering wheel to the left
2) disconnect negative terminal w/ 10 mm socket
3) remove screws from bottom of steering wheel
4) remove plastic covers
5) remove two screws for the dimmer switch
6) disconnect the wire terminal by pushing down clips
7) yank the dimmer switch
8) connect wire to new switch
9) insert new switch, screw in, and reassemble steering trim pieces column

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.