Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I talked to my dealer Saturday about installing fog lights. The writer and I go way back, so I have some faith in what he tells me, but I just want to double check. He said that the Honda fog lights really do not help all that much, not for the price I would have to pay. He really recommended that I don't bother with them. What is the opinions of those on this forum that has them? I like the way they look, but I also want functionality.
Also, he sold me the cross bars for the roof rack for $136.00, with free installation. I was satisfied with that deal.
Thanks.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I decided against

I also considered the foglights and decided against based, not only on the cost, but the funtionality. I once bought an '88 Accord, put 240,000 miles on it, and opted for the fog lights. I was always disappointed because you had to have your headlights on to activate the fog lights. It sort of defeats the purpose of the fogs - especially in certain snowy conditions where the headlights actually make it WORSE to drive, but the fogs only would have been sweet.

So once I began looking at Pilots I asked the question and, sure enough, you have to have your headlights on to activate the fogs. What a disappointment, they do look nice though, but I couldn't justify the extra $$ for looks alone. Being in Chicago and a skier, I would need that functionality.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
:) I would like to have a foglight with rear foglights, too. like the audi or jaguar ones. have looked at hella and they have the square ones that can be attached near the rear plate and backup lights. like this thread says, how strong is the oem fogs? I do not mind it being connected with the low beams and not the high beams.

·
Registered
747 Posts
Pilot fog lights are just fog lights. There is nothing super about them. I don't know why Honda is asking $300 just two lights. So this is a no no for me:14:

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Crossbars online cost $123.60. So if you can get them at $130 installed. That's a good deal.

IMO, the OEM foglight offers functionality and style. There is also a couple of things you can do for more functionality. One, you can get the HID bulbs. Two, you can alter the wiring so that the fog lights operated on their own. I also prefer the OEM fog light for the more integrated look. Best price on-line is $276 and installing yourself. What is your dealer charging?

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
My dealer wanted $285 (list) for the fog lights and $538 total w/installation.

CA' MON!! :3:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My dealer also gave me an estimate..

of around $500. Too much for my blood, and I don't have time or the inclination to install them myself. For now, anyway, I guess I will do without. :(

·
Registered
300 Posts
wwong said:
Crossbars online cost $123.60. So if you can get them at $130 installed. That's a good deal.

IMO, the OEM foglight offers functionality and style. There is also a couple of things you can do for more functionality. One, you can get the HID bulbs. Two, you can alter the wiring so that the fog lights operated on their own. I also prefer the OEM fog light for the more integrated look. Best price on-line is $276 and installing yourself. What is your dealer charging?
I got mine from the dealer for $389.00 + $150.00 installation come to $500.00 something including taxes.

HID bulb didn't last that long, about 3 month top, therefore, I had mine replace with catz HID H4&H3 conversion kits both cost about $1400.00. Both of my Head Light and Fog Light are HID 4250K and four Ballasts, after 8 month still working great.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
Honda fog light pic

This is the pic of the fog lights from the Honda "Build and Price" site. They don't look like the ones I've seen. They usually come with squared off shrouds which look better than this flush mount. Unless these are the fog lights that are intended to be used with the lower trim and they're showing them with out the trim.

Attachments

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Re: Honda fog light pic

krygny said:
This is the pic of the fog lights from the Honda "Build and Price" site. They don't look like the ones I've seen. They usually come with squared off shrouds which look better than this flush mount. Unless these are the fog lights that are intended to be used with the lower trim and they're showing them with out the trim.
If you do a search you will find a lot has been said about the foig lights.

The pic on the honda page is wrong. The lights do come with trim that matched the grey center of the bumper.

The fog lights are fairly good. Not the best out there but are much better thna some that end up being mostly for show.

The list price may seem high, but when compaired to other "factory" accessory lights they are not bad.

Yes you can get a good set for about $100 without a custom mounting kit for the car, nor a wiring kit that integrates into the factory harness nor a switch the matches the interior.

So it becomes a matter of personal choice and how much yuou value what you can not get in an aftermarket set.

·
Registered
300 Posts
N_Jay right about life of HID Bulb

Back in early December when N_Jay mention about the life of HID Bulb is short, and he's was right. I replaced the Head Light and Fog Light Bulb countless times why wasting more $ on head light and fog light bulb each time it cost me between $60-$90 each set.

I went to a local shop spend everthing at once on Bi-Xenon HID head light and H3 HID Catz fog light. After more than 8 months every bulb still working OK.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Here is another option to OEM Fog lights that if I had to do again I would do. LINK

I have been using aftermarket HID bulbs on my headlights (which make a BIG difference) only because I don't have the big money to convert my entire system. Have had those for about 6 months and no problems yet. I drive with my lights on most of the time (day/night). I still have not been able to find the HID bulbs for the fog lights though.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
FL, what brand/model are your HID bulbs?

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Samuel2003 said:
FL, what brand/model are your HID bulbs?
Package says:

Eurolite
Xenon Super Plasma

I bought them at CircuitCity of all places. I got them there because my buddy works there and he got them at employee cost. They cost $25 if I remember correctly but I got them for $12. Only problem is that they don't have the H3's for my fog lights. I hopeto find a pair of those before my trip in August. I will be driving 24 hours to Michigan (obviously I will have a co-pilot with me). I hope this helps.

If anyone knows of good H3's for me to order please post.

·
Registered
300 Posts
This is what I use before I Upgrades

This is what I use before I Upgrades all of my Head Light & Fog Light to HID Conversion Kits

Attachments

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
Res-Pilot Thanks for the info. As far as the H3's I am assuming any H3's will fit right? How hard was it to change out the fog bulbs. I have not got down under there to see what it will take me to change them out. Last questions, how much did you pay for your bulbs? Thanks again for the info.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Price is on a single bulb is $35.99 and the dual bulb is $63.95. To change is very easy, remove the two screw, remove the cover...oh! depend on what kind of fog light you have with or without lower trim? I have a lower trim.

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
FL, not sure what your bulbs rate on the Kelvin scale, but here are some alternatives (the shops listed may not be local for you, but you can always use Google for other dealers of the products listed)...

http://www.adventon.com/acb/showprod.cfm?&DID=24&CATID=53&ObjectGroup_ID=2035

http://www.optauto.com/webstore/product_list.asp?dept=346&last=346

http://www.magicappearance.com/piaa.html

http://www.xtremewhite.com/light_bulbs.cfm
(not the cheapest but pretty good selection)

http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/medwateur.html
(eurolite bulbs)

also, on our website, look at the Sticky at the top of the thread listings in the Accessories section, look under foglight bulb replacement...

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3470
some great posting here (instructions courtesy of Kemosabe)

this one looks pretty good to me...
http://www.optauto.com/webstore/pro...ariation=&aitem=17&mitem=26&back=yes&dept=346

1 - 20 of 20 Posts