Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I should have posted this long time ago if I wasn't that busy for the past month. Anyway, I found out that the DIY for the fog light was not swift. I spent a lot of time on the bumper removal. If I know what I know now I might finish it quicker. So, I think it will be helpful for me to share my experience with those who want to do the fog light for themselves. I made some photo along with the progress. Sometimes a picture is better than a thousand of words.

To make more sense, I will post it according to the installation instructions.

Step 4. Remove the front bumper

The front bumper has two parts. One is the grill and the other is the lower bumper(the one you are going to work on). They are clipped together by five short clips located inside of the bumper. The position is shown as the picture indicated. It is inside the bumper but it could be reach and be removed by a short flat screwdriver.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Still Step 4.

Even after you removed all the clips and screws, it is not easy to remove the lower bumper. The reason is there are numerous (acturally they are only 10, 5 on each side) hiden clip between the headlight and the bumper holder. See the pictures. You need to yank it out one side at a time. Sometimes I thought I damaged the bumper, it turned out to be just fine.

To see these clip by yourself, you need to open the plastic panel between the bottom of the headlight and the bumper.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Step 6. Remove the air filter case

There is a wire on the way when you want to remove the air filter case. The easy way to deal with it is to remove the wire first before you tried to remove the case. The wire is clipped to the wall of front wheel housing. The clip can be seen close to the damper area. See picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still Step 6. Another picture

a

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
step 28. Do we realy need to do that?

I realy doubt that we need the templates to cut the hole. When I followed the instruction I found that there are factory molded templates on the inside surface of the bumper. Make it more curious, the factory molded templates are larger (wider) than the templates on the instruction paper. I folllowed the instruction anyway cause I thought it is always good to cut the smaller hole first. you can always to cut it bigger if you want. Turned out to be that the factory one is good and the paper copy is to small.

Here is the picture.

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
step 28. A closer look

a closer look

Attachments

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Step 35. Hole saw

I can't find 40mm hole saw in Homedepot nor in Lowes. I bought a 1 1/2 " hole saw, which is about 38 mm. It worked just fine.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Step 47. Remove the left dashboard side cover

It was virtually impossible for me to remove this d*mn thing. I can't even put my finger close to those clips. There are way to many cable around. I guess this is the time that you might need to use a professional tool, like a clip remover. However, I found it is totally uncessary to remove this if you are not installing the Auto Day/Night mirror at the same time (which I did).

The total time I spent in this project is 13 hours, including the time for the Auto Day/Night mirror. It was painfully long and since I started at 12:00 PM, I really had no time to take more picture. If you have any question on certain step, let me know. I will try to explain as much as I can.

The fog light is wonderful. Diffinitely a must.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Based upon this report....

I will let the dealer do it. If it took you 13 hours it would probably take me two days. There are some things I will do and others I pay to have done. Congratulations on being able and willing to do it yourself. How was putting it back together? That's where I sometimes really run into trouble. I can ALWAYS get things apart, but....Oh well that's another story.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consider the money saved

Will, the time includes Auto Day/Nights mirror also. For Fog Lights alone is about 9 to 10 hours. I heard somebody did it in 6 hours with one skilled friend's help. I didn't regret it though cause the dealer quote me $600 for the lights and labor. Consider the money saved the only thing I regret is that I should have started it earlier. It is not a bad project for a sunny Saturday's fun.

By the way, putting it back is a swift. Much quicker than tear them apart. Be very careful not scraching the bumper. Since I live in an apartment, I bring the bumper up and down and I did scrach several place. Not big though.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Personally I'm waiting for a recessed version of the fog lights that I can get without the lower trim. I have to give to you however. You are very brave to go at this yourself. I commend you!!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks bgeraldo! :)

Amount all the accessory I wanted, I don't think Fog Light is that intimidating. That's why I went for it. I read from this forum that somebody did the Tow Package by themselves. Now that is brave.

:2:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Didn't I post my Fao Light install here

Hmm, Thought I did, I know it is on Honda-SUV.com
It is not near as detailed as this set of instructions.

A few notes.

The grill is suposed to come off with the bumper. So say the instructions for the fog lights, and the instructions for removing the bumper in the service manual.

The instructions mention that transfering the template is unneccessary if your bumper is marked. I am guessing all but the very earliest bumpers are marked. Mine was at VIN 11436.

Since my bumber was marked, I found it easy enough to cut the bumper with a utility knife from the back side with no problems.

I modified the wiiring harness to allow opperation any time the park lights are on. (Just my prefference)

I also noticed that the dash side does not need to be removed, and does not provide any needed access.

I did note that the instructions completly ignore removing the switch panel. It cones out easily bu prying at the botton edge.

I noticed after the fact that some pictures either in the instructions or in the service manual show the swithc mounted upside down. The light should be at the top, and the picture should show the beams heading down.

http://www.honda-pilot.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=612&highlight=modification

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Took Honda service 7 hours to do mine. I think it was the first time they did it though. Great pics Aerostar - I'm sure they'll be very helpful to all the brave souls who'd tackle that project. :cool:

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
7 Hours?

Not for just the fogs?

Hmm, either they are real careful, or real slow.

Hope they at least aimed them! :2:

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I like the look with the bumper removed. Sort of a tough guy look !

·
Registered
7 Posts
Re: Step 47. Remove the left dashboard side cover

aerostar45 said:
It was virtually impossible for me to remove this d*mn thing. I can't even put my finger close to those clips. There are way to many cable around. I guess this is the time that you might need to use a professional tool, like a clip remover. However, I found it is totally uncessary to remove this if you are not installing the Auto Day/Night mirror at the same time (which I did).

aerostar45

I am going to install the Day/Nite mirror and would like to know if you could give me more information on how you removed the left cover or did you manage without removing the cover.

John

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Answer for Jland

No, I didn't remove the side cover. As I said, the clips are beyond reachable because of the cable arround.

If I remember correctly, on the mirror installation manual there is a step shows using a steel wire to guide the day/night wire through the wire and pipe jungle to reach to the connectors on the bottom of the dashboard. I didn't have a steel wire at the time, I let the gravity done the job. I will take time and luck to achive that, so good luck!

And becareful when you align the wire on the roof. if possible, I would recommend you to remove one more roof handle on the leftside of the second row seat. I bend the roofliner at the dirverside handle a little bit. It is not serious but I regret I did that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks aerostar45

Your reply is very helpfull. I now have a good idea on how I am going to do this install. Removing the second row roof handle sounds like a good idea. I am going to do the install this thursday. Will let you know how it turns out.

John

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Taking the Plunge!

So many of you have said the fog light installation is not as hard as it looks. I've finally decided to go for it! My wife bought me the fog lights for my birthday, and I'm going to install them myself.

I'll let you know how it goes, and post pics when I'm done!

:D

1 - 20 of 83 Posts