Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1521 - 1540 of 1544 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pilot touring and the FM quality leaves a lot to be desired. The reception and overall sound quality is poor compared to music playing via Car Play or even over blue tooth. It's not unbearable but kind of annoying.

·
Registered
39 Posts
The quality of the radio system (FM) is a real pain in the ass. The reception quality is poor and sound quality is very low. This seems to be a problem with the FM reception/antenna as music through the USB/Bluetooth sounds great. FM sucks!

·
Registered
399 Posts
i think its safe to say that its all the pilots, not just some that have the fm quality issues. its just people with pilots prob dont complain or dont really care. its so obvious that in the tuner setting, the sound quality is reduced. as i said before its like the amp is not working with it. all other sources sound good.

and the reception also sucks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
poor radio

We bought a 2017 ex-l about 3 months ago.The first thing I noticed was the crappy radio.I have friends at the local dealer,and they said this is in ALL Pilots.The service manager said he changed out his speakers,with a better quality.Sadly it only helped a little bit(with a whole lotta work).I have an 06 chevy truck with 130000 on it,and has a great stock radio.And even has a cd player,,,,gee I always heard the Japaneze were the LEADERS in stereo equipment.
You know,i have friends that have 25 year old Honda lawnmowers that are still going strong.I guess that reputation only goes as far as cutting grass!Waited for a long time to get something nice for the bride.And it wasn't cheap by any means,,,,,but money doesn't buy quality.We traded in an older model Jeep grand Cherokee.I guess I should have stuck with that.This is my first and LAST honda!:frown:

·
Registered
399 Posts
We bought a 2017 ex-l about 3 months ago.The first thing I noticed was the crappy radio.I have friends at the local dealer,and they said this is in ALL Pilots.The service manager said he changed out his speakers,with a better quality.Sadly it only helped a little bit(with a whole lotta work).I have an 06 chevy truck with 130000 on it,and has a great stock radio.And even has a cd player,,,,gee I always heard the Japaneze were the LEADERS in stereo equipment.
You know,i have friends that have 25 year old Honda lawnmowers that are still going strong.I guess that reputation only goes as far as cutting grass!Waited for a long time to get something nice for the bride.And it wasn't cheap by any means,,,,,but money doesn't buy quality.We traded in an older model Jeep grand Cherokee.I guess I should have stuck with that.This is my first and LAST honda!:frown:
yea, like i said above, i think a lot of pilot owners dont care so there isnt as much complaints as tehre should be. the radio sucks (meaning on fm/am) when using other sources it comes a live and better but you expect more coming from a vehicle in 2017-2019 especially those with higher level trims that are over $40K

An easy way to see that when on the radio source (FM) the quality is reduced or playing half power, is to have your smart phone and connect to iheartradio or any other app that also streams the same station, then switch the source and youll see the quality is night and day

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is the canadian and american version of the pilot different sound wise? I haven't noticed the difference. I find the sound decent, loud enough, and quality. I had an issue with the center speaker which was replaced.
My accord 2.0t has the upgraded audio(canadian model) and although being louder and punchier, lacks the richness of the pilot

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
399 Posts
Is the canadian and american version of the pilot different sound wise? I haven't noticed the difference. I find the sound decent, loud enough, and quality. I had an issue with the center speaker which was replaced.
My accord 2.0t has the upgraded audio(canadian model) and although being louder and punchier, lacks the richness of the pilot

what source is selected when you are basing your opinion? the huge issue is when you have the TUNER (FM) selected as the source, its as if the system goes into limp mode. But when you play other sources like bluetooth, a bluray movie, etc, the sound output gets better significantly. The volume seems lower, there is little to no bass, etc. Its as if the amp is not powering the speakers when the fm tuner is selected. Also the antenna strength seems weak. For a modern vehicle where some models cost over $40K and nearing $50K (after tax/financing) and considered being higher end models, it really is disappointing.

sometimes I dont want to go through having to go through my smartphone to play quality sound. I just want to put it on the radio and move on, but knowing I'm not getting the most out of the vehicle and what I paid for the "upgraded stereo" i always switch the source

·
Registered
26 Posts
FM. The other source I use are android auto(tune in radio and spotify), and occasionally Sirius XM.
You got issues, it's understandable. Thus why I asked of there are differences between us and canadian models. Because in the accord they are different(for the better in the canadian model).

But to be honest I rarely listen to FM. That's in the past for me. I stream over 90% of what I listen. Very rarely I listen to local radios on FM

·
Registered
399 Posts
FM. The other source I use are android auto(tune in radio and spotify), and occasionally Sirius XM.
You got issues, it's understandable. Thus why I asked of there are differences between us and canadian models. Because in the accord they are different(for the better in the canadian model).

But to be honest I rarely listen to FM. That's in the past for me. I stream over 90% of what I listen. Very rarely I listen to local radios on FM

if your saying the sound quality doesnt seem any different from radio tuner to any other source, then 1) there may be a difference between us and canada, or 2) you just arent much of an audiophile to care. but as you see this not being escaladed to a higher degree with Honda means people just dont care about fm radio or cant notice the difference. I only care at this point because this I have a Touring AWD and its nearly $45K. and for a vehicle that cost this much the sound sucks. Even when its working at full potential on another source, the sound is inferior compared to other manufacturers.

if you read through this thread you'll see many of us notice the weak fm tuner quailty and reception.

I too listen to streaming over 90% of the time and big reason for that is because the FM quality and reception just sucks. if the sound quality and signal was better then id probably wouldnt mind listening to the tuner more often.

·
Registered
39 Posts
my radio (2014 Honda Pilot) works but there have problem at sound quality as it's not knit and clean as per demand!!

Can anyone please advice me is it hardware or installation related issue?

·
Registered
68 Posts
my radio (2014 Honda Pilot) works but there have problem at sound quality as it's not knit and clean as per demand!!

Can anyone please advice me is it hardware or installation related issue?
Wrong thread. This is for 2016 and newer models.

Otherwise, get a non-stock radio. For the 2016 any transistor radio is better than what we got.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ANC Modest Proposal

For my 2018 EX I found the whole sound system including the FM sounds much better with the ANC turned off. While ANC is on, the system sounds hollow and out of phase. Turning ANC off makes it much better. People are disconnecting the power to the ANC or even drastically clipping ANC microphone wires and such instruction are on-line. There is an easier method.

You can easily disable the ANC with a hidden tech menu selection. Whether it stays off is a subject of debate. Mine has stayed off, other people say it resets to on, but I don't know when. You can try it and if you like it OFF and if yours does reset, you can decide to take more drastic action. At least you will know. I found little if any difference in the noise level in the cabin.

Here is how to turn ANC Off/On
"Start" in accessory mode. Dismiss the Warning Screen.
Simultaneously press Audio-Menu-Brightness and hold 3 seconds. This is touchy, you may have to make several tries.
Select "Detailed Info and Settings"
Select "Audio Check"
Select "ANC Check"
Push "Off"
Wait for test tones to end.
Back out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2016 honda pilot in the shop right now getting fixed. I've been wanting to trade it in as its plagued with alot of the problems talked about on here. While its being fixed they gave me a 2019 Honda Pilot as a loaner. I've had the car for a week and the infotainment is the worst. The radio never works. Its usually just static and then it completely cuts out and the screen goes blank. Apple play doesn't work. Same thing. Songs breaks up, screen goes black, says no network connection.

I was going to trade my honda for new model but since this loaner i'm definitely steering clear of Honda. This rental car also only has 1500 miles on it. So brand new and already has this problem.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Seems to be a global Honda issue. I am facing those issues in my new accord as well. Already got radio replaced and issue remains. But only happens using android auto. Apple car play works fine. I am glad it is a lease. And the fact that the pilot(2017) has none of the issues related in here.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I have a 2016 honda pilot in the shop right now getting fixed. I've been wanting to trade it in as its plagued with alot of the problems talked about on here. While its being fixed they gave me a 2019 Honda Pilot as a loaner. I've had the car for a week and the infotainment is the worst. The radio never works. Its usually just static and then it completely cuts out and the screen goes blank. Apple play doesn't work. Same thing. Songs breaks up, screen goes black, says no network connection.

I was going to trade my honda for new model but since this loaner i'm definitely steering clear of Honda. This rental car also only has 1500 miles on it. So brand new and already has this problem.
The worst thing is that Honda wants to charge you estimate fees before deciding to honor warranty or not. I know if it's covered then it would be removed. I asked the dealer what is cover and replied three hundred pages of things listed they can't tell me. In order to have the warranty, you MUST risking the estimate fees. I believe it's very reasonable to ask and know what is covered and what is not so I can decide whether or not to bring it to their attention. If not covered then I won't need to spend the money when something is not critical. I am with you, STAY CLEAR of Honda!

·
Registered
12 Posts

There is an old saying "Quit while you are ahead"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
21 Posts
I’ve read that the 2019 pilot has a larger / improved antenna. Can anyone confirm ?

From my experience, thus far, my 2019 EX-L (non nav/res) hasn't exhibited any of the problems recently posted in this thread (since I started following forum/thread in early Jan '19). To me (and for a large nbr of issues that pop-up on this forum) this thread should really be labeled '2016 - 2018 FM Radio sound quality problem'. The roof "fin antenna" is definitely larger on the 2019 models... if that's also what's used to pull in FM radio signals then that might explain why the improvement. I can't speak to the 2016-18 models, but I don't see a noticeable window antenna in any of the glass, so I assume the roof "fin" is being used for terrestrial/HD radio reception, as well as Sirius-XM.

BTW, two points: 1) I’m in Seattle Metro area so radio signals for me are typically strong and I also have plenty of HD radio options as well, 2) I also take advantage of the Android Auto integration and that’s performed with little to no problems (nav via Waze/Google, streaming (sports) podcast or online radio (typically comedy radio channels) content from phone, voice dialing/calling, and occasional SMS/texts).

·
Registered
44 Posts
From my experience, thus far, my 2019 EX-L (non nav/res) hasn't exhibited any of the problems recently posted in this thread (since I started following forum/thread in early Jan '19). To me (and for a large nbr of issues that pop-up on this forum) this thread should really be labeled '2016 - 2018 FM Radio sound quality problem'. The roof "fin antenna" is definitely larger on the 2019 models... if that's also what's used to pull in FM radio signals then that might explain why the improvement. I can't speak to the 2016-18 models, but I don't see a noticeable window antenna in any of the glass, so I assume the roof "fin" is being used for terrestrial/HD radio reception, as well as Sirius-XM.

BTW, two points: 1) I’m in Seattle Metro area so radio signals for me are typically strong and I also have plenty of HD radio options as well, 2) I also take advantage of the Android Auto integration and that’s performed with little to no problems (nav via Waze/Google, streaming (sports) podcast or online radio (typically comedy radio channels) content from phone, voice dialing/calling, and occasional SMS/texts).
Thanks. I’ve read from a few different sources that the issue is fixed in the 2019, and I also have not noticed anything abnormal about the radio reception.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I turned off the ANC in my 2018 and really didn't hear a difference in the radio. Started the car and went back into the menu to find the ANC back on. Really don't want to take any drastic measures IE cutting mic lines. Playing music through the iPhone sounds fine, but the radio... well we all know about the radio. At some point, I'll install a whole new system, speakers, amps etc, but that'll have to wait for now.

1521 - 1540 of 1544 Posts