Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1501 - 1520 of 1544 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pilot touring and the FM quality leaves a lot to be desired. The reception and overall sound quality is poor compared to music playing via CarPlay or even over bluetooth. It's not unbearable but kind of annoying.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just bought a 2017 Pilot touring and the FM quality leaves a lot to be desired. The reception and overall sound quality is poor compared to music playing via CarPlay or even over bluetooth. It's not unbearable but kind of annoying.
yup, too bad not more people make this a big deal and tell Honda so we can get official fix/recall. Not a lot of people are audiophiles it seems

·
Registered
399 Posts
bumping this - so this was NOT fixed for 2017 models?
nope, quality on the tuner sucks. its as if the system goes into limp mode. but use another source--xm, aux, bluray, android auto/apple car play, and the system wakes up--still crappy for being an "upgraded system" and compared to other vehicles in this price range, but still a tremendous difference compared to the tuner.

·
Registered
26 Posts
my '17 Pilot Elite started to "lose" sound regardless of the source. at first i thought it was only while playing from sxm, but more recently, distortion and fading out from any source, even from stored music on my phone. I know its not the phone, because the same music plays fine and clear on my '17 accord. Is there anything Honda is doing at this point to fix this? i need to book a service soon and should i mention this in hopes they can fix it?

·
Registered
126 Posts
my '17 Pilot Elite started to "lose" sound regardless of the source. at first i thought it was only while playing from sxm, but more recently, distortion and fading out from any source, even from stored music on my phone. I know its not the phone, because the same music plays fine and clear on my '17 accord. Is there anything Honda is doing at this point to fix this? i need to book a service soon and should i mention this in hopes they can fix it?
You have the upgraded stereo on the Elite, but in my EX-L the sound in general was abysmal. I did a lot of research and upgraded the speakers and added an amp and small powered sub under the front passenger seat. It made a huge difference.

That being said, after it was installed, I had similar issues to yours. When I took it back to my installer, they were able to find distortion due to several wires crossing and grounding. Once they corrected that, the sound is perfect. Not sure that is the case, but in general the quality of the sound systems in Pilots (especially EX-L and below) are not up to the rest of the car. I know if I had a Touring or Elite, I wouldn’t be happy if I had this problem. I say take it to the dealer and see what they can do about it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
26 Posts
You have the upgraded stereo on the Elite, but in my EX-L the sound in general was abysmal. I did a lot of research and upgraded the speakers and added an amp and small powered sub under the front passenger seat. It made a huge difference.

That being said, after it was installed, I had similar issues to yours. When I took it back to my installer, they were able to find distortion due to several wires crossing and grounding. Once they corrected that, the sound is perfect. Not sure that is the case, but in general the quality of the sound systems in Pilots (especially EX-L and below) are not up to the rest of the car. I know if I had a Touring or Elite, I wouldn’t be happy if I had this problem. I say take it to the dealer and see what they can do about it.

Good luck!
As far as I can tell, the center speaker above the nav screen is the main cause. Going today to the dealership to get it diagnosed/fixed.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
35 Posts
I just got my 2018 AWD EX-L about 2 months and I saw this thread so I decided to check it out.

Yup - same problem. I'm in the Los Angeles area and tested it out with 102.7 KIIS FM. It's a local station and it's also on the Sirius XM. I put it on the local FM radio station and it sounds ok but I quickly switch it to the XM satellite radio and BAM much better sound and I actually hear some bass.

I highly doubt the fact it's satellite vs FM radio tuner makes a difference in hearing the bass. The bass should be heard regardless of the source.

Not sure what to do... should I go in to the dealer as well and at least if there's no solution have it logged?

·
Registered
399 Posts
I just got my 2018 AWD EX-L about 2 months and I saw this thread so I decided to check it out.

Yup - same problem. I'm in the Los Angeles area and tested it out with 102.7 KIIS FM. It's a local station and it's also on the Sirius XM. I put it on the local FM radio station and it sounds ok but I quickly switch it to the XM satellite radio and BAM much better sound and I actually hear some bass.

I highly doubt the fact it's satellite vs FM radio tuner makes a difference in hearing the bass. The bass should be heard regardless of the source.

Not sure what to do... should I go in to the dealer as well and at least if there's no solution have it logged?
there is no solution and this is the normal function of the sound system in the pilot. even the "upgraded" systems in the touring/elite suck

whenever you are in the tuner source, it's as if the system is only working 50%. horrible. that sjust how it is. not a lot of owners have complained enough for honda to take notice and actually fix it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
After the dealer visit, they fixed the distortion but not the fading. Ordered some parts and I will be getting a rental next week when they fix it. Problem almost solved.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old (but popular) thread... While looking at the specifications on the just-announced 2019 Pilots, I came across the following item: Fin-Type Roof-Mounted Antenna. This may be as close as Honda ever comes to admitting there was a design issue with the FM receiver in the 2016-2018 models. Once these finally reach someone's driveway, I'll be interested to see if the problem has been solved.

C2

·
Registered
68 Posts
Sorry to resurrect an old (but popular) thread... While looking at the specifications on the just-announced 2019 Pilots, I came across the following item: Fin-Type Roof-Mounted Antenna. This may be as close as Honda ever comes to admitting there was a design issue with the FM receiver in the 2016-2018 models. Once these finally reach someone's driveway, I'll be interested to see if the problem has been solved.

C2

FYI, my 2016 pilot has a fin-type roof-mounted antenna. It's for XM radio.

·
Registered
15 Posts
FYI, my 2016 pilot has a fin-type roof-mounted antenna. It's for XM radio.
That could be the case here as well, but I am keeping my fingers crossed for improvement. I was pulling the data from the "compare specs" page on Honda's website. The 2018 model lists an Integrated Glass Antenna, while the 2019 references a Fin-Type Roof-Mounted Antenna instead. Additionally, in photos the 2019 fin is prominent on the rear roof, while the shots of the 2018 show much less or no fin (depending on photo.)

C2

·
Registered
110 Posts
Just viewed the TV commercial for the 2019 Pilot. Extremely ironic that it focuses on music, sound etc. given all of the sound quality issues with the 2016-2018 models. I’ll be a former Honda owner in a few months anyway. I’ve had enough.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 Pilot is at the dealership for the FM reception problem along with the volume fluctuation problem. So far they have agreed that the radio sucks and replaced the tuner yesterday but that did not fix the problem. They are moving to replacing the dash head unit now!!!! Lets hope this fixes the problem.

·
Registered
399 Posts
My 2018 Pilot is at the dealership for the FM reception problem along with the volume fluctuation problem. So far they have agreed that the radio sucks and replaced the tuner yesterday but that did not fix the problem. They are moving to replacing the dash head unit now!!!! Lets hope this fixes the problem.
update us, not the first time someone posted something like this. It just seems like this is "NORMAL" operation of the tuner.

·
Registered
54 Posts
If it's a 2003 model that you have. It maybe better to put your question on the forum for the 2003 model not the 2016 model. Just a thought!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

My Grandfather has a 2016 too. He had a similar issue but I had fixed his after just reading the thread. I asked about mine because I knew one of my friend's mom has a 2016 with a blown out speaker too.

David: please leave this section to the third generation owners.
My grandfather has a 2016 as well, with the same issue as the OP. Sorry forgot to say that lol. And it actually helped both of our problems, whereas a 2003 thread didn't. I only asked because this thread helped me fix his, and I figured it would help me too. Which it did. I don't just comment to comment.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a 2016 Pilot Touring and after complaining about the FM radio reception nothing was addressed. Most FM stations fade out when turning or traveling. My opinion is that Honda has an afoul antenna for FM and they don't want to admit it. It will drive many people away from Honda purchases in the future.

1501 - 1520 of 1544 Posts