Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1544 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an EX-L without Navi. What I'm experiencing is it seems the volume is going up and down and clarity going from very clear(this is when volume goes up) to muffled(this is when volume goes down). I disabled the volume compensation thinking that was the problem but it's still doing it. It's driving me crazy. It's like the head unit is adjusting the volume if it senses static on the station or something? The thing is, many times, there is no static so I can't figure out what it's doing. It doesn't seem to do it on all stations though. The station I'm trouble with the most is not local but only an hour away. I listen to it in my other cars with no problems :confused:

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have 2016 EX-L no Navi, and the sound is terrible on regular radio stations. Cannot get the bass and treble adjusted to sound right. Turning up the subwoofer does not seem to make any difference. However, XM stations sounds very good, and bluetooth streaming thru my phone sounds great. I just sold my 2003 Pilot EX-L and factory stereo had better subwoofer and radio stations sounded better than in the new Pilot. Anyone else noticed this issue? Great vehicle otherwise.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I also have 2016 EX-L no Navi, and the sound is terrible on regular radio stations. Cannot get the bass and treble adjusted to sound right. Turning up the subwoofer does not seem to make any difference. However, XM stations sounds very good, and bluetooth streaming thru my phone sounds great. I just sold my 2003 Pilot EX-L and factory stereo had better subwoofer and radio stations sounded better than in the new Pilot. Anyone else noticed this issue? Great vehicle otherwise.
I have an EX-L with navigation. I have the same problem. Navi or not the sound is just straight bad. They just don't make speakers in cars like they used to, like where's the subs at?! I miss the great sound quality my traded in 2005 Odys produced. Oh well I just wish the bad quality sound at least stayed the same volume because that would make it slightly better lol.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Spoke with a friend who has a different manufacturer vehicle but he was able to turn HD radio OFF through his radio. He had very similar problems to me. I did some reading and some HD radios will pull in HD and automatically switch back to analog when it loses HD. This could be my problem. I'm going to hunt through the options to see if I can disable HD.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I have a EXL RES non Navi and the speaker sound reproduction is horrible on any source. My 2012 was better then this and my 2010 was better then this. The 2010 was the best. Guess they just don't care about the speakers and the reproduction of good sound anymore.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh. Only the elite has HD radio. I'll have to contact my dealer to see if they can find out anything. This radio is horrible.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Audio Quality in Hondas

I am shopping for a new Pilot now, but have owned many Hondas. Currently our stable includes a 2007 Honda CRV. The audio quality in our CRV is terrible and had been that way since new. When I think back, I cannot remember any of our seven Hondas that have had good audio quality. Why should the poor quality of the 2016 Pilot surprise us?

The head of the Honda Audio performance must be deaf, but they keep on selling them.

Honda is not the only auto manufacturer with this problem. I normally drive a BMW 335i sedan, with their premium audio system. Audio performance of this system is only slightly better than Honda audio. When the BMW was still new, I spent $1500 on a good audio amplifier and speakers (my hours of labor for the install were free). Once the new parts were installed, the audio system was transformed.

IMHO, BMW could have affected the same result by spending $250 on better components. Personally, I would have appreciated the opportunity to spend $250 to get a decent audio system as compared to spending $1500 and dozens of hours to install decent components.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Any resolution to this? We just picked up a EX-L tonight and we noticed our audio volume drastically changing. This is very similar to the condition I had on my Jeep's aftermarket radio and was fixed by shutting off HD radio. Very disappointed and I am hoping it is just a setting issue; if not, I will have to elevate this issue. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
60 Posts
I have an EX and I am experiencing the same issues. I'm gonna try to turn off the feature where it compensates for road noise and see. But honestly it is worse than my 06 Odyssey.

·
Registered
194 Posts
No problem with volume (ex-l no nav), I just wish FM radio reception was better.I like WUMB , Boston/cape cod, no folk stations like it on sirius..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Day 2 and here is what I discovered. There is clearly something wrong with the FM tuner. The sound level fades in and out even with the sound level adjustment off. There is also zero low end bass. If I switch to XM radio it sounds like a totally different system. You regain all low level bass and your levels stay consistent. Anyone else with this problem please keep the forum posted on dealer solutions and I will do the same. Hopefully heading to the dealer next week. Thanks!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Day 2 and here is what I discovered. There is clearly something wrong with the FM tuner. The sound level fades in and out even with the sound level adjustment off. There is also zero low end bass. If I switch to XM radio it sounds like a totally different system. You regain all low level bass and your levels stay consistent. Anyone else with this problem please keep the forum posted on dealer solutions and I will do the same. Hopefully heading to the dealer next week. Thanks!
Exact same reason I made the original post. I have not had time to speak with a dealer yet but just wanted to reiterate my problem is exactly what you are describing.

·
Registered
14 Posts
My appointment is September 1st. I will keep the forum posted. Another thought - wondering if it's the radio antenna? We will find out.

·
Registered
206 Posts
My appointment is September 1st. I will keep the forum posted. Another thought - wondering if it's the radio antenna? We will find out.
I'm willing to bet it's the antenna. My wife's car (Chevy Malibu) has the same problem with fluctuating sound quality in FM. That also has a shark fin antenna. All other sources are fine. My last car had a traditional mast antenna and I had no problems with FM.

I am surprised at the difference between the audio sources on the pilot. Satellite and Bluetooth are much better for me than what others are stating. Lots of bass too. I don't know what the real difference between the "bass" and "subwoofer l" settings are, but perhaps folks aren't tweaking them enough.

Just my $.02 on the matter.

·
Registered
76 Posts
is the Head Unit system the same for '15 Odyssey? the Odyssey has a subwoofer and it sound much much better. deeper bass and much better overall sound compare to the 16 pilot.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Here is what I learned...nothing! The Honda service department called me and said they were told to pull another head unit out of a brand new Pilot and put it in mine. The dealer refused to do that. I asked if Honda would send the dealer a new head unit to try and they said Honda would not. The service advisor pretty much said there is nothing they could do. I called Honda and I am waiting for a case manager - ridiculous!

·
Registered
396 Posts
Over in the Accord Forums, people have good luck turning off some of the sound processing. I think they got into the service menu to do this. Maybe there is something similar on the pilot.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have bad news for you. I have an 06 Pilot and an 11 Accord. Both have crappy radios. Just poor quality junky radios. I think you would be hard pressed to find lower quality radios in most cars built in the last 10 years.

1 - 20 of 1544 Posts